Texas Hunting Forum

Colorado Bend State Park youth hunt Aoudad

Posted By: Curbow

Colorado Bend State Park youth hunt Aoudad - 12/06/18 04:43 PM

A few pictures from our recent successful hunt. Colorado Bend is such a beautiful place and this turned out to be a hunt of a lifetime! I will add more details below in comments.

Attached picture FB_IMG_1543852815280.jpg
Attached picture FB_IMG_1544113978011.jpg
Attached picture FB_IMG_1544113990888.jpg
Attached picture FB_IMG_1544114166856.jpg
Attached picture FB_IMG_1544114112638.jpg
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Colorado Bend State Park youth hunt Dec 1st - 12/06/18 05:25 PM

Heck yea! Congrats!
Posted By: Erny

Re: Colorado Bend State Park youth hunt Dec 1st - 12/06/18 05:36 PM

Awesome!

Re: Colorado Bend State Park youth hunt Dec 1st - 12/06/18 05:38 PM

Myself, wife, daughter and son recently attended the youth either sex WT hunt at Colorado Bend State Park. We were blessed with good weather and a successful hunt where my daughter was able to harvest 2 large Aoudad!

We took our RV and camped down by the river in a beautiful spot that was loaded with deer. There are no electric or water hookups but we did take a generator. It is about a 20 minute drive from the front gate down to the campground. Park staff were very nice and assigned us compartment #2 at our Saturday morning meeting. This is the compartment with Gorman Falls which is a must see if you are out there. My kids chose the back area by the conference center because it was the toughest to hunt and wanted a chance to see an Aoudad or big buck. The front and middle area was flatter and had more open spaces to be able to see in places. The back area was definitely thick and rough.

My son and I did see 7 deer first afternoon and he passed on easy shots at a 6 point and doe waiting for something bigger to come along. We were set up on the trails leading back down to the river and up the hills on Old Gorman trail. Should have taken the shots because no deer showed up the next day. A few big Aoudad started to come in but got spooked. Lots of Aoudad sign in this area. Warning the Old Gorman trail is rough and uphill for a long ways hauling gear. It was so thick we decided not to hunt up there.

My wife and daughter hunted up the Gorman Springs trail which was a nice spot. They only saw 1 big buck up on a ridge that never came out. But on Sunday morning a group of big Aoudad came in and she was able to drop 2 of them with her .243! Those beasts almost killed me dragging them back to the truck but it was all worth it seeing the smiles on their faces.

We hunted out of popup blinds but the deer do not like them. Make sure you cut some brush to help them blend in. Also take plenty of corn to throw out. They cleaned ours up overnight. Only cleaning facilities are the fish cleaning station down by the river. Overall there were a lot of deer taken. Not sure if anyone else took an exotic? It was definitely a fun family adventure!
Posted By: 64zebra

Re: Colorado Bend State Park youth hunt Dec 1st - 12/06/18 07:00 PM

Glad y'all had success. My son drew there last year and we saw one spike that was ran off by a coyote. That's all we saw for the entire hunt.
Posted By: salth2o

Re: Colorado Bend State Park youth hunt Dec 1st - 12/06/18 08:08 PM

Heck yeah! That is awesome.
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Colorado Bend State Park youth hunt Dec 1st - 12/06/18 10:26 PM

Great job on the Aoudads. Congratulations to your daughter. Some nice pictures also. Lots of memories made. cheers
Posted By: 12shotgun

Re: Colorado Bend State Park youth hunt Dec 1st - 12/07/18 02:51 AM

Congratulations, that’s awesome!
Posted By: duckhunter175

Re: Colorado Bend State Park youth hunt Dec 1st - 12/07/18 06:01 PM

Thats awesome, congrats!!!
Posted By: dorkmen

Re: Colorado Bend State Park youth hunt Dec 1st - 12/10/18 04:57 PM

My son got selected for the December 26-28th hunt. I have been having trouble getting any information. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: Colorado Bend State Park youth hunt Dec 1st - 12/12/18 08:16 PM

I will try and answer any questions you have other than details I posted above. Although my only experience was in compartment #2, down main road, maintenance buildings where you check in, and campground river area.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum