Texas Hunting Forum

Matador Archery Mule Deer report

Posted By: Palehorse

Matador Archery Mule Deer report - 10/28/18 03:19 PM

Just got back from the archery mule deer hunt at Matador. No deer were taken by myself or anyone else. There were also no bucks taken at the archery whitetail hunt a few weeks ago. It's a tough hunt for archers. The new antler restrictions for mule deer in that area is that the inside spread must be outside the ears just like whitetail. On mule deer, that's a big spread. I never saw a single deer that was legal to shoot other than whitetail does. It should help allow some young bucks to get a lot bigger though.

Still had a good time and met a couple of real cool cats that are now my friends. smile
Posted By: Blank

Re: Matador Archery Mule Deer report - 10/28/18 06:19 PM

Still, making memories is what it's all about anyway. New country and new friends is something that you just gotta enjoy.
Posted By: TomBaty

Re: Matador Archery Mule Deer report - 10/29/18 01:40 AM

Sorry to hear you didn't get one, but glad you had a good time. I know it's been dry out there; did they catch much of this rain?
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Matador Archery Mule Deer report - 10/29/18 02:02 AM

Originally Posted By: TomBaty
Sorry to hear you didn't get one, but glad you had a good time. I know it's been dry out there; did they catch much of this rain?

Oh yeah. It was a gawd awful muddy mess. I'm not sure I'll ever get that red mud out of my truck.
Posted By: Westtexan1

Re: Matador Archery Mule Deer report - 10/30/18 02:20 AM

No WT were killed last year either. Don't know about MD. It is a tough hunt but I don't think the deer population is what it used to be out there making things even more difficult.
Posted By: spitfire

Re: Matador Archery Mule Deer report - 10/30/18 05:34 AM

Thanks for sharing. Hope it was a good time still. There were quite a few mulies hanging out in the campground when I was there. That is one of my favorite places I've ever hunted. I drew the antlerless hunt and saw nothing but WT bucks and mule deer.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum