Texas Hunting Forum

Hog /Rabbit Hunting Sam Houston

Posted By: JB1316

Hog /Rabbit Hunting Sam Houston - 08/25/18 10:21 PM

Quick question - I'm 90% sure I know the answer to this, but want to just confirm - You can rifle hunt hog and rabbit year round on the Sam Houston NF, but need to wear hunter orange as long as its not an area that specifically notes no hunting or archery only, correct?
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Hog /Rabbit Hunting Sam Houston - 08/25/18 10:29 PM

not sure about rabbits and i cant recall ever seeing a rabbit.

Hogs you can hunt all year just wear your hunter orange and keep your gun unloaded around your vehicle.
Posted By: JB1316

Re: Hog /Rabbit Hunting Sam Houston - 08/25/18 10:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
not sure about rabbits and i cant recall ever seeing a rabbit.

Hogs you can hunt all year just wear your hunter orange and keep your gun unloaded around your vehicle.

thank you sir. weird about the Rabbits. I did a quick search and see a few similar posts where people say they've never seen them in the Forest. Would have thought they'd do pretty well in there
Posted By: rickt300

Re: Hog /Rabbit Hunting Sam Houston - 08/25/18 11:37 PM

Squirrels are a bit more common for sure!
Posted By: machine73

Re: Hog /Rabbit Hunting Sam Houston - 08/25/18 11:46 PM

Yes, hog and rabbit year round in Sam Houston, daytime only. Hunter orange is mandatory for those critters. Much of it isn't very good rabbit habitat and I think what rabbits that are there are mostly going to be nocturnal. I'm sure there will be exceptions.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Hog /Rabbit Hunting Sam Houston - 08/25/18 11:53 PM

You would think there would be thousands of squirrels in that forest also but there arent really that many. I see a few here and there but not as many as I would expect.
Posted By: Kawabuggy

Re: Hog /Rabbit Hunting Sam Houston - 08/26/18 01:49 AM

There are TONS of squirrels in Sam. You see them mostly right at dusk. I've had them climb the tree that I'm sitting in. Also had them come up a neighboring tree to mine and stare at me face to face while I'm in my climber. I see squirrels almost every time I go out.

I have seen a few rabbits in Sam, but not that many. One year while sitting in my climber I had two adult rabbits playing, and chasing each other around out in front of me. They were making quite the racket.

Hog hunting is legal year round. According to the Public Hunting Lands booklet I just received, on page 118, it says "rabbits & hares". No limit listed, and no seasons listed-so it must be open season all year. Hunters orange required basically at all times if you are hunting anything.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum