Texas Hunting Forum

Longest Shot Attempted in San Houston NF?

Posted By: JB1316

Longest Shot Attempted in San Houston NF? - 08/22/18 12:48 PM

I don’t think I’ve seen a place at the SHNF in the handful of times I’ve exlpored it where someone could take more than a 40 yard shot at an animal, but wanted to ask the experts and folks who’ve spent a bit more times in these woods than I have.
What’s the longest shot you’ve taken here?
Posted By: Cherokee Mingan

Re: Longest Shot Attempted in San Houston NF? - 08/22/18 02:21 PM

I am by no means an expert but the few times I have been in there I would consider 40 yards longer than most. I would imagine that a tree climber would give you a better view.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Longest Shot Attempted in San Houston NF? - 08/22/18 05:06 PM

My shots are 40 to 100 yards and I might be able to shoot at 150 ish if I had the right lane but that would be about it. I hunt from the ground but I also like to sit on a hill looking down so that I do have some views and I can see a long way.
Posted By: JB1316

Re: Longest Shot Attempted in San Houston NF? - 08/22/18 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
My shots are 40 to 100 yards and I might be able to shoot at 150 ish if I had the right lane but that would be about it. I hunt from the ground but I also like to sit on a hill looking down so that I do have some views and I can see a long way.

Looks like i need to scout more if there are areas with this much visibility. Come to think of it, that's just the excuse I've been looking for.
Posted By: rickt300

Re: Longest Shot Attempted in San Houston NF? - 08/23/18 01:40 AM

After the leaves fall you can see a lot farther. Some will take limb loppers and cut a lane so they can see farther. This attracts deer because they can look down the lane for other deer. May not be legal though.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Longest Shot Attempted in San Houston NF? - 08/23/18 06:02 PM

To find this type of area you have to be on a creek with elevation on each side. I can see and can shoot to the hill across from me and that is why I have a 150 yard of siight
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum