Texas Hunting Forum

Drawn at JD Murphy Gator hunt tips?

Posted By: TeamC

Drawn at JD Murphy Gator hunt tips? - 08/06/18 12:24 AM

Me and my buddy got drawn at JD Murphy MWA Gator hunt next month both of us are brand new to gators any info or tips as far as specific to JD Murphy or general about gator hunting and what method/equipmen would be best would kindly be appreciated
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Drawn at JD Murphy Gator hunt tips? - 08/06/18 12:44 AM

welcome ta texasHF & Public Hunting.

Congrats on the draw. bang not gonna be much help, havent hunted gator, nor been ta JD Murphy's. Wishen the best, stay safe, & enjoy d hunt.

edit: check out the thread below about gator hunt at mad island NewJeep has hunted murphy click on his name & send message.
flag
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Drawn at JD Murphy Gator hunt tips? - 08/06/18 01:43 AM

Hunted there a few years back. Here's how it goes.

You show up late morning for the check in and orientation. At orientation, they teach you how to set your bait, the rules, tips, ect. After orientation, they assign you a compartment based on what type of boat you have. They give you a tag and loan you a big cane pole and a rebar anchor. They will give you a map and tell you how to get to your compartment.

You go out to your compartment and set up your bait. A smelly chicken quarter left in the sun for a day or so works great. You drive the cane pole at an angle sticking out over the water and drive the anchor in the mud. Tie one end of the line to the anchor and dangle the hook end with the bait over the water with the cane pole and secure it loosely with a clothespin or rubber band. You want it to come off easily.

Leave, go into town, and drink many cold beers. Get up early and go see what you caught. One guy pulls it in, the other guy shoots it in the head with a shotgun, steel shot is preferred by the WMA. Tape up the mouth before you haul it in the boat. Tag your gator and bring it in to the check station.

Other than skinning, that's about it.

BTW, bring a cheap shotgun that you won't have a heart attack if it falls overboard. I used an old H&R 20 gauge single shot that I picked up at a pawn shop for $50. It was perfect for that type of hunt.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Drawn at JD Murphy Gator hunt tips? - 08/06/18 01:46 AM

Here is the hooks and lines we used on our hunt.

https://www.amazon.com/Gator-Getter-Alligator-Kit-Made/dp/B01I289732
Posted By: gollygee

Re: Drawn at JD Murphy Gator hunt tips? - 08/06/18 08:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Palehorse
Hunted there a few years back. Here's how it goes.

You show up late morning for the check in and orientation. At orientation, they teach you how to set your bait, the rules, tips, ect. After orientation, they assign you a compartment based on what type of boat you have. They give you a tag and loan you a big cane pole and a rebar anchor. They will give you a map and tell you how to get to your compartment.

You go out to your compartment and set up your bait. A smelly chicken quarter left in the sun for a day or so works great. You drive the cane pole at an angle sticking out over the water and drive the anchor in the mud. Tie one end of the line to the anchor and dangle the hook end with the bait over the water with the cane pole and secure it loosely with a clothespin or rubber band. You want it to come off easily.

Leave, go into town, and drink many cold beers. Get up early and go see what you caught. One guy pulls it in, the other guy shoots it in the head with a shotgun, steel shot is preferred by the WMA. Tape up the mouth before you haul it in the boat. Tag your gator and bring it in to the check station.

Other than skinning, that's about it.

BTW, bring a cheap shotgun that you won't have a heart attack if it falls overboard. I used an old H&R 20 gauge single shot that I picked up at a pawn shop for $50. It was perfect for that type of hunt.

Hardest work I have ever done. Shallow draft boat. Go light, ended up stashing everything except a water bottle on the bank before going into the ponds. I would like to try it again with a predator call. Never saw a snake of any kind.
Posted By: jasons

Re: Drawn at JD Murphy Gator hunt tips? - 08/07/18 06:41 AM

How many preference points did yall have? Trying to get an idea of when I have a chance to be drawn.

Re: Drawn at JD Murphy Gator hunt tips? - 08/07/18 05:44 PM

I had 4 points he had 2 thanks guys

Re: Drawn at JD Murphy Gator hunt tips? - 08/07/18 05:46 PM

I had 4 my friend had 2 points I have entered every Gator hunt the last 4 years including my kids for a while youth alligator finally won this one
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: Drawn at JD Murphy Gator hunt tips? - 08/14/18 03:38 AM

What dates did y'all get picked for?
Posted By: Wildphilhickup

Re: Drawn at JD Murphy Gator hunt tips? - 08/15/18 02:24 PM

I hunted there quite a few years ago. Got me a BIG Gator.

Here's the Trick, at least in my opinion.

*** I use a set up rig for SHARK. Big Hook, Stainless Steel Braided Leader.

1 - Get there early, day before if you can. Meet with the Wildlife Biologists if you can. Get to know him. Why? I did that and he knew I was serious about the hunt. He set me up in a "Good" compartment the next day.

2 - Get one of those big chlorine buckets with lids.

3 - About 5 - 7 days before the hunt. Buy at lease 20 pounds of chicken "thighs". Throw them in the buckets with a level amount of water. Set outside. MAKE SURE THE LIDS ARE ON TIGHT!

4 - Get some sheets of Florist foam at hobby lobby. The 2" thick green foam.

5 - cut the foam into 4" x 4" squares minimum.

6 - get some dacron fishing line, 80 lb. test.

7 - when you get out to your spot the day before, you are going to "sew" that chicken to those foam blocks.

8 - wear plastic gloves - your hands will stink for weeks if you don't.

9 - randomly toss those blocks around the perimeter of your spot.

10 - when you set your cane pole, pay attention to the tide. Set the bait at least 24" - 30" over the water.

*** Too low and you will catch a little one or the turtles and fish will eat it.

*** Too high and you will only catch flies.

11. Try to find a DEEP canal where the gators travel thru. Or try to find a small n "island" in your compartment to set your pole.

12. Off of the end of your set up, tie on 50 feet minimum, of some of that colored ski rope or the plastic rope like they sell at Lowe's or Home Depot.

13. Get a Boat Anchor Buoy - paint it florescent orange or some BRIGHT color. Tie that to the other end of your rope.

14. When you reel in your gator, don't fight him. Pull easy and slow. If he pulls back, let go. Easy and SLOW.

15. As long as the gator is in the water he feels safe. So shoot him in the back of the head while he is in the water. Yes, you will get a little splash. Put the barrel in the water if necessary.

Got any other questions - You can call me.

Re: Drawn at JD Murphy Gator hunt tips? - 09/17/18 03:00 AM

7 foot and 8 foot got it done
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: Drawn at JD Murphy Gator hunt tips? - 09/17/18 05:30 AM

Congrats! What compartment were you in? We were in compartment 2 and went 0/2. My partner's line was down, bait gone, no gator, and mine was still standing.

Try again for next year.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum