Texas Hunting Forum

Youth Only Special Hunts - Limits in each Category

Posted By: Hunter Daddy

Youth Only Special Hunts - Limits in each Category - 07/09/18 05:56 PM

I didn't realize that there was a limit to the amount of areas you can put into for the youth hunts. Apparently, you can only apply for 3 youth deer antlerless/spike hunts and the limit is 8 hunts for the youth deer either sex hunts. How long have they been doing this? Choose you areas wisely.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Youth Only Special Hunts - Limits in each Category - 07/10/18 03:25 AM

This must be new. It sure was not the case last year.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Youth Only Special Hunts - Limits in each Category - 07/10/18 12:20 PM

They just started doing it this year. Too many folks were putting their kids in for every hunt because it's free, getting drawn, and not showing up for the hunt. That would limit the number of slots available for the other kids.
Posted By: TurkeyWhisperer

Re: Youth Only Special Hunts - Limits in each Category - 07/10/18 02:36 PM

I thought they changed it to a limit of 3 for each youth category (doe/spike, either sex, management, hog, etc.). Sounds like you can enter more (8) for the either sex category???
Posted By: Erny

Re: Youth Only Special Hunts - Limits in each Category - 07/11/18 02:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Palehorse
They just started doing it this year. Too many folks were putting their kids in for every hunt because it's free, getting drawn, and not showing up for the hunt. That would limit the number of slots available for the other kids.

Makes sense.
Posted By: swampthang

Re: Youth Only Special Hunts - Limits in each Category - 07/11/18 10:17 AM

Originally Posted By: TurkeyWhisperer
I thought they changed it to a limit of 3 for each youth category (doe/spike, either sex, management, hog, etc.). Sounds like you can enter more (8) for the either sex category???

Where do you see it says 8 for either sex category? Looks like it says only 3,like all the other categories.
Posted By: safdm44

Re: Youth Only Special Hunts - Limits in each Category - 07/12/18 02:20 AM

they are having no shows on the draws... the youth hunts should no conflict with school.. ours did last year although we tagged out on a Sunday. missed M/T hunts.
Posted By: Hunter Daddy

Re: Youth Only Special Hunts - Limits in each Category - 07/12/18 12:20 PM

Oops. It was only 3 entries for each category. Sorry
Posted By: oldstyle244

Re: Youth Only Special Hunts - Limits in each Category - 07/30/18 07:07 PM

I didn't notice this and first time doing the drawn hunts, so I added my daughter to ever possible combination.

Just received an email back that in the beginning they didn't have the restrictions built into the website so in fairness they are removing all of the entrys that I made, but we can remake the appropriate amount of entrys.

Guess I will do that tonight......
Posted By: elvisp_bucks

Re: Youth Only Special Hunts - Limits in each Category - 07/30/18 09:36 PM

If you don't like this new rule then email parks and wildlife to let them know. I already did. My boys typically got picked for something every year because we could apply for a bunch of hunts. I don't think this is going to increase the odds for the kids because everyone is going to apply for the 3 best hunts in every category. They are punishing everyone because of a few no shows.
Posted By: Curbow

Re: Youth Only Special Hunts - Limits in each Category - 07/31/18 08:11 PM

I don't like it. Not having a lease to hunt I always put in for almost every youth hunt and go wherever drawn. And with that only got 3 hunts in 3 years out of about 150 applications. But we were lucky to get a doe on all 3 hunts! Been to Cooper, Fairfield and Caprock Canyons. We have never been a no show and I feel this drastically reduces the kids odds of being drawn. The standby thing sucks because who really wants to pack all their gear and drive halfway across Texas to maybe get drawn.

Re: Youth Only Special Hunts - Limits in each Category - 08/01/18 03:59 PM

I agree. Everyone email parks and wildlife to let them know that we hate the new rule. Also fill out the survey accordingly. I hate that they make these changes without polling the hunters. This new rule is going to hurt our boys chances of getting picked
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Youth Only Special Hunts - Limits in each Category - 08/01/18 04:48 PM

I don't have a problem with the new rule. The last youth hunt I took my kids on, almost half didn't show. Because they accepted the hunt, the slots stayed unfilled. There were a lot of kids that got turned away on standby even though there were empty blinds.
I'll be telling TPWD that I think it's a good rule.
Posted By: swampthang

Re: Youth Only Special Hunts - Limits in each Category - 08/02/18 12:33 PM

Haha,I'd apply for every single hunt in every catagory too if they were 100% free. grin Then maybe I'll show up if picked or maybe I'll just stay home and watch feetball on TV.
Posted By: Coastalquacker

Re: Youth Only Special Hunts - Limits in each Category - 08/02/18 04:20 PM

i like the limit, especially if it means involving more kids outdoors. every youth hunt we've been on, there have been "no shows." I've always called when i couldn't make a hunt i was drawn for (only 2x) so that they were able to do a 2nd drawing or give it to a stand by.
Posted By: Curbow

Re: Youth Only Special Hunts - Limits in each Category - 08/02/18 05:18 PM

I would rather be able to pay a fee and put in for as many youth hunts as wanted than have limits.

Re: Youth Only Special Hunts - Limits in each Category - 08/06/18 06:26 PM

Me too. I would rather pay and apply for everything. The new rule limits my kids opportunity to get picked. The second drawing and standbys should fix the no show problem. I hate it when everyone gets punished for a few bad actors.
Posted By: TxFishKeeper

Re: Youth Only Special Hunts - Limits in each Category - 08/07/18 03:49 PM

I can't complain about the limits for youth, my son is 17 so he can no longer apply for the youth hunts (look up my story about last year's hunt at E.O. Siecke State Forest). I strongly suggest that anyone in the Southeast Texas area consider that as one of your choices. My issue with the drawings now that my son is 17, is he has to apply with me on the adult hunts and there are an extremely small percentage of the adult hunts that would allow a 17-18 year-old high school kid to go on the hunt without missing at least a couple days of school.

TPWD seems to have just dropped those 17-18 year-olds out of the process unless they skip school.

Re: Youth Only Special Hunts - Limits in each Category - 08/07/18 07:59 PM

Send Parks and Wildlife this concern and I will too. Also fill out the survey accordingly. If we make them aware of this gap now then maybe they will get it fixed by the time my boys are 17.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum