Texas Hunting Forum

Lake Whitney

Posted By: shea.mcphail

Lake Whitney - 04/16/18 11:53 PM

So I sent my permit application in about two weeks ago, but I still haven’t received my permit in the mail. I’ve been looking on OnX Maps at different locations that I want to check out just outside the state park. I also couldn’t find the lake Whitney headquarters on the map.

Basically, I need help with where the heck should I start? Anybody able to help point me in the right direction? Not trying to steal anyone’s honey hole.
Posted By: trapperjustin

Re: Lake Whitney - 04/18/18 01:52 AM

The headquarters in by the dam. As far as spots, there are deer all over the lake. Just have to find areas with good sign. I have seen deer in every area I hunted. Just scout as much as you can. Year before last I almost tagged out at Whitney. Couldn't quite find my 13 or greater buck to shoot though.

Re: Lake Whitney - 04/18/18 09:47 PM

Thanks! I should have clarified this is for turkey. I hope to get in a hunt or two before the season ends.
Posted By: trapperjustin

Re: Lake Whitney - 04/19/18 11:52 PM

Turkey are tuff for me out there. I have killed two long beards. Seems like it's hard to get them to come to a call after the first two weeks of season. Both my kills on Turkey have been opening day. They were also on two different hunt areas. I will say if the area was prone to flooding during deer season the Turkey seem to moive from that area. Where I shot one one year the next year the area got flooded and none were there during that Turkey season. I usually show up just before light get out of the truck and hit the call. If they r there they will answer but can be call shy, so getting them in can be a chore.think I saw you on tbh by the way.

Re: Lake Whitney - 04/20/18 02:31 AM

Originally Posted By: trapperjustin
Turkey are tuff for me out there. I have killed two long beards. Seems like it's hard to get them to come to a call after the first two weeks of season. Both my kills on Turkey have been opening day. They were also on two different hunt areas. I will say if the area was prone to flooding during deer season the Turkey seem to moive from that area. Where I shot one one year the next year the area got flooded and none were there during that Turkey season. I usually show up just before light get out of the truck and hit the call. If they r there they will answer but can be call shy, so getting them in can be a chore.think I saw you on tbh by the way.

Yes, sir. That was me. I don’t bow hunt, but I like the hunting information you can find there. I have a unit picked out. Don’t know if I’ll be there by sun up though.
Posted By: soonerdg

Re: Lake Whitney - 05/01/18 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By: shea.mcphail
So I sent my permit application in about two weeks ago, but I still haven’t received my permit in the mail. I’ve been looking on OnX Maps at different locations that I want to check out just outside the state park. I also couldn’t find the lake Whitney headquarters on the map.

Basically, I need help with where the heck should I start? Anybody able to help point me in the right direction? Not trying to steal anyone’s honey hole.

I didn't think you could get a permit online unless you had one the previous year. I think you have to go in person if it's your first permit out there.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum