Texas Hunting Forum

Turkey Hunt Success

Posted By: teal.slayer14

Turkey Hunt Success - 03/28/18 02:22 PM

Pulled into Kerr WMA around 10:30 for orientation at 11. After orientation the park staff took us to our drawn area and made sure we knew what our boundaries were. They gave me a few suggestions on where to set up so I choose a clearing to setup for the afternoon. I was only about 100 yards from the truck when I heard a gobble not far from me. I made a large circle to my spot as to not spook him. On my way to the clearing I saw 3 or 4 hens running through the brush. Right about then I could see the gobbler on the road about 200 yards away and heading the opposite direction I was going. I hurried to the clearing and setup and starting calling. He responded to the first calls, but none after that. I was just about to setup my decoys up when I saw two gobblers walking down the trail right towards me. I waited until he got about 25 yards from me and dropped him. First every turkey and on public land. I left my truck at noon and the turkey was on the ground by 12:45. 15.5 lbs and a 10" beard.

Great staff and very helpful. Sorry the pic sucks. It was raining the entire time.

Posted By: Erny

Re: Turkey Hunt Success - 03/28/18 03:06 PM

Congrats on a true public lands trophy!!!
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: Turkey Hunt Success - 03/28/18 03:13 PM

Kerr is the same place I killed my first turkey at. I called in 4 Toms on the last morning hunt. My brother killed his in the first 45 min of the hunt. Got both kills on video. A great place!!!
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Turkey Hunt Success - 03/28/18 04:14 PM

Great job on the Turkey. Kerr is one of the best hunt out there. Staff, coffee pot, fireplace is always great.
Posted By: SpoonPlatoon

Re: Turkey Hunt Success - 03/28/18 06:35 PM

We are here now trying to get it done. We've seen and heard quite a few. Got to within 80 yards of 8 gobblers and a loud mouth hen but they wouldn't come in.

Re: Turkey Hunt Success - 03/28/18 07:28 PM

Hope you get one. Is it still raining?

Anyone else get one yet?

Re: Turkey Hunt Success - 03/28/18 09:05 PM

No one got one last night except for you. We've been hunting all day and haven't been back. No rain today.

Re: Turkey Hunt Success - 04/02/18 01:14 PM

Where you able to get one?

Re: Turkey Hunt Success - 04/02/18 02:10 PM

We were close but couldn't seal the deal. 3 birds were taken.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Turkey Hunt Success - 04/02/18 04:24 PM

cheers tips his cowboyhat.
flag
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Turkey Hunt Success - 04/13/18 12:19 PM

Question...do those draw hunts count against your limit, or, can you still harvest 4 more birds?
Posted By: JMalin

Re: Turkey Hunt Success - 04/15/18 03:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
Question...do those draw hunts count against your limit, or, can you still harvest 4 more birds?

It is my understanding that they count against your license tags, which is why I haven't put in for one.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum