Texas Hunting Forum

Lavon Lake

Posted By: Denogean3

Lavon Lake - 02/26/18 11:17 PM

Hello has anyone hunted Lavon Lake for hogs?
Posted By: Leveled

Re: Lavon Lake - 02/27/18 10:42 PM

Yes, I have been out there many times. Most likely much of it is flooded now. The best spot is north of 380 - Take the bridge and follow the road to 561 to then make a right on 563. At the dead end there is parking. When walking in there is a trail that goes south with good hard woods. I spotted a large hog near the river which the power lines dead end into. There is also access on the opposite side of the river which is road 565. To hunt Lavon you need a special permit available through the local office. Lake Lavon Info
Much of the game keeps well hidden but hog sign is everywhere.

Re: Lavon Lake - 02/27/18 11:23 PM

I read about the permit online. They said they still have some so I'll be heading up there soon to get it. Thanks for the info Leveled. It not to far from me just wondering if anyone had any luck there.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Lavon Lake - 02/27/18 11:51 PM

I used to hunt there quite a bit. Never shot a hog. Found a dead one once. Saw a glimpse of a live one once. I've actually seen more deer there than pigs, and some of those deer were really, really nice deer.

Re: Lavon Lake - 02/28/18 03:35 AM

Is it crazy thick brush? Haven't read anything about deer hunting there, do you know the regulations on that?
Posted By: mphunter

Re: Lavon Lake - 03/01/18 09:24 PM

I go there frequently! Lots of great deer but deer hunting is not allowed. Good number of hogs too but can be tough hunting. Yes some areas are very very thick brush. Check the regs as some units are archery only. It is all flooded really bad right now. Will be a while before it all clears out I’m sure.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Lavon Lake - 03/01/18 09:29 PM

No, you can't hunt deer there. I was talking to the game warden after he checked me a few years ago (expect to be checked, I've seen more game wardens at Lavon than I have anywhere else), and he said that he expected there would eventually be a lottery drawing for deer hunting there, but that was a while ago, and it has not happened yet. I've actually had the most luck hunting rabbits. Single shot .410 or 20 guage is the ticket there. They are always running around about dusk.

Re: Lavon Lake - 03/01/18 10:09 PM

Thanks guys this is some good info. I may run out there for some rabbits. Hopefully it clears up soon. I'll definitely post more info if I find anything out about those deer drawings when I go get my permit.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum