Texas Hunting Forum

Fairfield hunt

Posted By: steve.w

Fairfield hunt - 12/29/17 03:12 AM

I was drawn for the hunt Jan 1st thru 3rd. Does anyone know what time were suppose to be at Park Monday for orientation.
Posted By: lms

Re: Fairfield hunt - 12/29/17 03:42 AM

Yes I talked to the park personnel today, you need to be there by 10 am if you going to be late call them, #9033894514, I will be there for the Wednesday to Friday hunt.
Posted By: steve.w

Re: Fairfield hunt - 12/29/17 05:33 PM

Finally got ahold of them, they said noon for the Monday hunters. Thanks lms good luck on your hunt.

Re: Fairfield hunt - 12/29/17 06:35 PM

You welcome, the hunt instructionsstart at noon, best to be there early with the weather.

Re: Fairfield hunt - 12/29/17 07:37 PM

You welcome, the hunt instructions start at noon, best to be there early with the weather.

Re: Fairfield hunt - 01/06/18 12:14 AM

Hunt went well, deer did not cooperate, few deer and more hogs were killed than deer only saw 1 deer, nice 8 point, just should of been a spike, park staff were very helpfull, even provided some leftover corn. Just very cold, very thankful for my small propane heater. Over all park was very nice, the showers were hot. I would rate the hunt a 5 because of the cold and the park a 9 out of 10.
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Fairfield hunt - 01/06/18 03:31 AM

IMS, Nice report. How many Stand By's were available? Any THF'ers get in on a Stand By?

I had planned to try for a SB at Fairfield but the older 'n me BinL came through with an invite at his place outside LaGrange late last week. Can believe that kind of cold can be tough on Southerner's, it was 22* Wednesday morning in Fayette County, and probably a tad colder at FFSP.

Thursday AM saw one great whopper in the high beams, 10pt or better in the early morning crossing a county road, who stopped in rhe middle of the road and stared at us for about 10-15 seconds with the Mule truckin' towards him full out like the White Rabbit, going to the nearby lease from BiL's house, and lots of does on the Wed PM & all day Thursday hunts....couple really BIG grandma does leading multi generations too. I decided to pass on taking a doe, with meat already in the freezer and hold out for the Whopper after seeing that the BinL really was NOT just telling me a fib to jerk my chain, who of course No Showed when the shooters were loaded. Next year is a looong time away, but rhe BinL has secured the lease rights long term I'm told so there is valid hope to fill the big empty spot on the wall next year.
Ron

Re: Fairfield hunt - 01/06/18 04:15 AM

All standby's got to hunt total of 22 hunters with 25 available spots.
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Fairfield hunt - 01/06/18 06:51 PM

I'll keep that StandBy Access Success in mind if I don't get drawn, as usual, next year. Thanks.
Ron
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Fairfield hunt - 01/08/18 12:26 PM

Thanks for the writeup. I hunted there a few years ago on a GDA too and found the park and staff to be great.
Posted By: LittleFrank

Re: Fairfield hunt - 02/27/18 06:26 PM

Thanks for the report. I have camped there a few times, but never hunted there. I always wondered if it was worth the effort. I will definitely keep it in mind.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum