Texas Hunting Forum

Luminant #607

Posted By: WillEng

Luminant #607 - 09/26/17 02:01 AM

Hey Yall-

This will be my first year hunting public land in TX and was wondering if anyone had info on the Luminant Texas Unit #607.

Id be looking to hunt hogs, waterfowl, and dove. Possibly deer if the property is any good.

Im going to try to head up and scout sometime soon, but wont waste that weekend if yall have any info against it.

Thanks,
Will
Posted By: Bony Dog Ambassador

Re: Luminant #607 - 09/26/17 02:44 PM

I hear it gets pretty crowded there
Posted By: bossbowman

Re: Luminant #607 - 09/26/17 02:57 PM

And dangerous once rifle season starts.
Posted By: swampthang

Re: Luminant #607 - 09/26/17 06:11 PM

Apparently TPWD is trying to eradicate and eliminate every single deer on that property based on the liberal bag limits and long season.
Posted By: Harrier

Re: Luminant #607 - 09/30/17 03:16 AM

I hunt there. I've shot one deer and one hog and plenty of rabbits there. Opening weekend of deer season is crowded, but it tapers off quickly after that. Most days when I've hunted there I've been the only one on the site.

That said, I have no intention of telling you the best places to find game animals ...

Re: Luminant #607 - 10/02/17 01:24 AM

Have you seen any ducks on the property? Not much of a big game hunter so dont worry about me stealing your game

Re: Luminant #607 - 10/02/17 04:15 PM

Yes, there's a pond in the SW part of the property accessible off the main trail from the Hwy 7 parking area. The pond usually has waterfowl in it. I'm not a duck hunter so I couldn't tell you what kind of ducks -- they're the kind that flap their wings really loudly and say QUACK QUACK QUACK when I'm trying to move through there super stealthy. The area around the pond used to be really overgrown with reeds, but last time I was in there it looked like the whole area had been mowed down.

There's another pond just north of the pipeline right-of-way on the west side of the area. I've sometimes seen waterfowl in there.

Re: Luminant #607 - 10/03/17 12:29 AM

Thanks for the info, hopefully I'll be able to make a trip out there this year.
Posted By: HankTheTank

Re: Luminant #607 - 10/25/17 06:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Harrier
I hunt there. I've shot one deer and one hog and plenty of rabbits there. Opening weekend of deer season is crowded, but it tapers off quickly after that. Most days when I've hunted there I've been the only one on the site.

That said, I have no intention of telling you the best places to find game animals ...

Howdy!

I'm fairly new to public hunting and hope to get up to this property in the next 2 or three weeks for some deer and hog hunting, but if few opportunities at those then I wouldn't mind taking small game. Do you take another gun (like a .22 or shotgun) for small game?

Also, I'll be coming from San Antonio and on a budget. Is camping allowed on the property? If not, can you recommend a place? The best options I see are Fort Parker or Fort Boggy State Parks but I am hoping to avoid the drive to and from.

Thanks for any advice/info. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post here.

Re: Luminant #607 - 10/28/17 11:30 PM

Originally Posted By: HankTheTank
Do you take another gun (like a .22 or shotgun) for small game?

Also, I'll be coming from San Antonio and on a budget. Is camping allowed on the property? If not, can you recommend a place? The best options I see are Fort Parker or Fort Boggy State Parks but I am hoping to avoid the drive to and from.

I usually keep my deer hunts and my small game hunts separate, but sometimes I take my .410 out there with a mix of slugs and shot depending on whether I run across pigs or rabbits.

No camping is allowed at Luminant. There's a Days Inn in Marquez, but it's kind of pricey for what you get. I don't know about camping options nearby, but there might be something at Lake Limestone.
Posted By: lucky3

Re: Luminant #607 - 10/29/17 10:07 PM

Originally Posted By: HankTheTank

Howdy!

I'm fairly new to public hunting and hope to get up to this property in the next 2 or three weeks for some deer and hog hunting, but if few opportunities at those then I wouldn't mind taking small game. Do you take another gun (like a .22 or shotgun) for small game?

Thanks for any advice/info. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post here.

I’ll be heading out there next week from the San Antonio area also. I plan on camping at a marina that’s not too far away as long as they have space. This will be my first time hunting public land for deer so I am prepared for the worst after reading some things online. I bought a lightweight tripod stand to hunt from. Unfortunately I am out of town working until Thursday so I won’t be able to scout the area until Friday. I’ll probably go again for a weekday hunt too so it’s not so crowded.

Re: Luminant #607 - 10/30/17 02:03 PM

Thanks Harrier for the info. I'll focus more on scouting with hopes of an opportunity at deer or hog this first time out and go from there.

Re: Luminant #607 - 10/30/17 02:06 PM

Hey Lucky, good luck on your trip. If I make it out there, it'll be during the week so hopefully it won't be too crowded then.
Posted By: markusarealuis

Re: Luminant #607 - 12/18/17 10:57 PM

I have been there several times and it gets crowded with "hunters" walking around during prime deer hunting times with absolutely no respect for other hunters that have done their diligence and gotten there on time. Not to mention several hunters coming right up to me asking if I have seen anything at 7:15 a.m. and multiple occasions of hunters standing in wide open lanes talking/hunting. Early during the year during bow season, I have seen several nice mature bucks and located their bedding areas all to have a novice hunter spoil the entire area. This will be the last season I hunt there.
Posted By: bossbowman

Re: Luminant #607 - 12/24/17 03:53 AM

Originally Posted By: markusarealuis
I have been there several times and it gets crowded with "hunters" walking around during prime deer hunting times with absolutely no respect for other hunters that have done their diligence and gotten there on time. Not to mention several hunters coming right up to me asking if I have seen anything at 7:15 a.m. and multiple occasions of hunters standing in wide open lanes talking/hunting. Early during the year during bow season, I have seen several nice mature bucks and located their bedding areas all to have a novice hunter spoil the entire area. This will be the last season I hunt there.

Not really sure why they don't make it archery only or at least shotgun, its not safe, probably TPWD uses it to sell more APH permits...
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum