Texas Hunting Forum

Great hunt today in the SHNF!

Posted By: Bigfoot

Great hunt today in the SHNF! - 12/20/16 10:01 PM

It took me 7 trips this year to get it done but I finally got it done today. And I am very proud of this doe since it is my first public land harvest. I was a little late this morning getting to my spot. I like to be in at least by legal shooting time and I arrived 10 minutes late. So I finally get settled in under my tree and within 5 minutes I can hear some footsteps in the distance. I couldnt figure out where they were coming from and then all of a sudden I see a large deer pop out of the creek about 90 yards in front of me. I think it was a buck but it happened so quickly I wasnt sure. All I could tell is that it had a big body. Didnt matter anyways it was gone. Thats OK starting out better than Friday where I never heard or saw a thing all day. So about 40 minutes later I can hear some crashing through the leaves and this is uphill and downwind of me. So I switch my gun to my left hand (which I plan on practicing from now on at the range) and sure enough boom I can see a deer through the brush at 20 yards. Ive got no shot and she has me pegged. She starts barking and stomping and wont shut up. I was ready to put a head shot on her and all she had to do was walk another 2 yards in to the opening and I was done for the day. But she finally runs off barking like crazy. Finally about 9:30 I see 2 deer hanging around the creek just milling around looking for acorns. They are about 100-120 yards away and I dont have a shot and I am still not sure if these are does or little bucks. So I get ready and in position for a shot and after about 10 minutes they finally came up to about 50 yards of me and once she stepped out in the open I popped her with a Hornady SST 120 grain from my 6.8 AR. Granted this is only my second deer ever and my heart was pumping out of my chest. I definitely did not take my time on my shot. As soon as that doe stepped out I popped her instantly and hit her about 8 inches to the right of the shoulder in mid body area. She crumbled right there and never took a step but it happened so fast that I wish I would have taken my time more andmade a perfect shot. I learned a lot of valuable hutning lessons doing this on my own and a great deal of personal satisfaction. Ive got to work the next 4 out of 6 days but you can bet come next week I will be back in my spot looking for a buck and a pig!!

Posted By: Erny

Re: Great hunt today in the SHNF! - 12/20/16 10:40 PM

Congrats on a great public land trophy.....you earned it.
Posted By: PKnTX

Re: Great hunt today in the SHNF! - 12/20/16 11:04 PM

Sounds you earned it. Good job and thanks for sharing!
Posted By: DryFire

Re: Great hunt today in the SHNF! - 12/20/16 11:13 PM

Can't afford a lease yet but really enjoy hunting. Would love to hunt public land until I can afford one. Any tips for someone trying to get started?
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Great hunt today in the SHNF! - 12/20/16 11:23 PM

Glad you got the deer!
Posted By: Hunterwannabe

Re: Great hunt today in the SHNF! - 12/21/16 12:01 AM

Congratulations!!! Really happy for you!!

Re: Great hunt today in the SHNF! - 12/21/16 12:05 AM

Originally Posted By: jyouree11
Can't afford a lease yet but really enjoy hunting. Would love to hunt public land until I can afford one. Any tips for someone trying to get started?

check out a few threads down about hunting partner for the shnf. I wrote in there what my strategy was.

Thanks guys. Looks like a hunter is finally born.
Posted By: postoak

Re: Great hunt today in the SHNF! - 12/21/16 12:41 AM

You will learn more about deer hunting on public land than most guys will ever learn hunting over corn.
Posted By: shea.mcphail

Re: Great hunt today in the SHNF! - 12/21/16 03:18 AM

Originally Posted By: postoak
You will learn more about deer hunting on public land than most guys will ever learn hunting over corn.

Nothing truer than this.
Posted By: Brother Phil

Re: Great hunt today in the SHNF! - 12/21/16 05:05 AM

Nice deer. Great job.
Posted By: erok11

Re: Great hunt today in the SHNF! - 12/22/16 04:30 AM

Congrats ! Well earned for sure.
Posted By: ntxaviator

Re: Great hunt today in the SHNF! - 12/22/16 02:03 PM

great work!
Posted By: Harrier

Re: Great hunt today in the SHNF! - 12/22/16 04:26 PM

Looks like a perfect shot to me. Congratulations!
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Great hunt today in the SHNF! - 12/22/16 04:37 PM

Good on ya for sure, the hard work paid off, and will be a memory you will always have of the excitement you felt and well deserved satisfaction you earned.
Ron
Posted By: decook

Re: Great hunt today in the SHNF! - 12/23/16 12:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Harrier
Looks like a perfect shot to me. Congratulations!

Yeah I agree. No tracking and a quick clean kill in a darned demanding place to hunt. Great job.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Great hunt today in the SHNF! - 12/23/16 12:25 AM

Originally Posted By: shea.mcphail
Originally Posted By: postoak

Nothing truer than this.

cheers agree & would like ta add pic up a bow... Nothing wrong with rifle, still use one at time, archery is close range & can learn it's behavor...
Dryfire see ya from Irving... OSBWMA is roughly 90 miles away... It's archery only, for deer, they have gun deer draw hunts... Jan-end of March is hog any legal means... it gets wet out their, but good time ta learn areas... GPS & if archery get a climbing stand,.can observe from distance,.& move closer... i carried pen & pocket sized note book, write done rubs, scrapes, & time of movement.. Best Wishes...
Again cheers on nice deer Bigfoot ... flag

Re: Great hunt today in the SHNF! - 12/23/16 01:47 AM

Thanks Colt and guys! Man those backstraps were tasty!!
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Great hunt today in the SHNF! - 12/23/16 02:38 AM

Great job; you deserve it.
Posted By: FeetDown

Re: Great hunt today in the SHNF! - 12/24/16 02:53 PM

Originally Posted By: DryFire

PM sent
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum