Texas Hunting Forum

Questions on LBJ Grasslands

Posted By: TexasOutdoorsman

Questions on LBJ Grasslands - 11/06/15 12:25 AM

Okay so me and some buddies are looking for a good place to go out and hunt some pigs and deer during season.
I have heard about the LBJ Grasslands and was wondering if any one else has had any experience out there and any recommendations on areas or any tips at all???

Also Is ShotGun Hunting Allowed for pigs?? I have heard mixed answers.

Thanks Yall cowboy

Hog Hunting LBJ GrassLands??? - 11/06/15 12:27 AM

Okay so me and some buddies are looking for a good place to go out and hunt some pigs.
I have heard about the LBJ Grasslands and was wondering if any one else has had any experience out there and any recommendations on areas or any tips at all???

Any help will be appreciated!!

Thanks Yall cowboy

LBJ Grasslands?? - 11/06/15 12:34 AM

Okay so me and some buddies are looking for a good place to go out and hunt some pigs and deer during season.

Any help will be appreciated!!

Thanks Yall cowboy
Posted By: M Bennet

Re: Hog Hunting LBJ GrassLands??? - 11/06/15 03:05 AM

Shot gun blk powder.hunt unit 3 14/71/69 /1
Posted By: newtexan

Re: Questions on LBJ Grasslands - 11/06/15 03:15 AM

At LBJ shotguns are allowed - no centerfire rifles. I have been out there every summer/fall since getting to Texas, and I have not seen a hog yet, but I have seen a bunch of does and a few small bucks. Unit 18 I believe was where I saw most activity. Admittedly, I have not been out there in a few of months, so that unit might be completely dead for all I know.

I have talked to a few people I've met out there in the parking lots, and everyone has always been really nice. If you see someone I would introduce yourself (assuming it is in the parking lot!).

Good luck!

Re: Hog Hunting LBJ GrassLands??? - 11/06/15 04:03 AM

Thank you sir!

Re: Questions on LBJ Grasslands - 11/06/15 04:05 AM

Thanks!!

One of my friends went this past weekend looking for does with his bow and scared up some pigs so i think we will hit that area again!!
Posted By: Theblakester

Re: Questions on LBJ Grasslands - 11/06/15 07:42 AM

Conner, If its shotgun only, and no rifles, i would suggest looking at getting a rifled barrel/scope for your shotgun and shoot sabot slugs (sabot slugs are made for rifled shotgun barrels). u can sight in and hunt on shotun only like this out to 150 yards or 200 with practice. i would suggest buying a few different types of sabot slugs and going to the range to see which particular type of sabot slug is most accurate in your rifled barrel.

if u are shooting a smooth bore shotgun barrel i would look at brenneke slugs.

if u are set on buck shot, i would suggest the federal premium 00 buck shot with flight control wad. it groups tighter at farther distances than the vast majority of other shotgun buck shot loads. I would also keep your shots under 35 yards with buck shot.

Re: Questions on LBJ Grasslands - 11/06/15 02:23 PM

thanks for all the info!!
Posted By: IamMr2

Re: Questions on LBJ Grasslands - 11/06/15 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Theblakester
Conner, If its shotgun only, and no rifles, i would suggest looking at getting a rifled barrel/scope for your shotgun and shoot sabot slugs (sabot slugs are made for rifled shotgun barrels). u can sight in and hunt on shotun only like this out to 150 yards or 200 with practice. i would suggest buying a few different types of sabot slugs and going to the range to see which particular type of sabot slug is most accurate in your rifled barrel.

if u are shooting a smooth bore shotgun barrel i would look at brenneke slugs.

if u are set on buck shot, i would suggest the federal premium 00 buck shot with flight control wad. it groups tighter at farther distances than the vast majority of other shotgun buck shot loads. I would also keep your shots under 35 yards with buck shot.

I'll second the Federal Premium 00 buck. Works well for me.
Posted By: JBlack

Re: Questions on LBJ Grasslands - 11/08/15 07:14 PM

Buck shot is not legal at lbj.
Posted By: swampthang

Re: Questions on LBJ Grasslands - 11/09/15 03:44 AM

Originally Posted By: JBlack

That's news to me,who told you that?
Posted By: Booner1

Re: Questions on LBJ Grasslands - 11/10/15 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By: JBlack

You may use buckshot in the general forest but not in the WMA'S.
Posted By: CollinCountyCab

Re: Questions on LBJ Grasslands - 11/13/15 08:46 PM

Just got off the phone with Game Warden McGee. Confirmed no restriction on shotgun and centerfire is ok as well. The Game Warden is easily reached and super friendly. Good luck and be SAFE.
Posted By: Booner1

Re: Questions on LBJ Grasslands - 11/13/15 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By: CollinCountyCab
Just got off the phone with Game Warden McGee. Confirmed no restriction on shotgun and centerfire is ok as well. The Game Warden is easily reached and super friendly. Good luck and be SAFE.

Center fire rifle IS NOT OKAY on the LBJ Grasslands, it is on Caddo Grasslands but not LBJ.
Posted By: CollinCountyCab

Re: Questions on LBJ Grasslands - 11/16/15 04:46 PM

ooops.....sorry I meant Caddo. My apologies for any confusion.
Posted By: Gemlin

Re: Questions on LBJ Grasslands - 11/21/15 06:56 PM

Buckshot is legal at LBJ. Ive been stopped by the US Forrest Ranger out there and checked. Called LBJ and asked, yup still legal.

Shotgun and muzzleloader only
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum