Texas Hunting Forum

Kerr WMA

Posted By: ATX_Hunter

Kerr WMA - 11/11/14 08:07 PM

Anyone else hunting at the Kerr WMA this year? I will be there next week for Gun Deer Either Sex. I think the cold weather may be good for hunting but it is "warming" back up for next week.

I already received some good pointers from a previous thread but wanted to see if anyone had any last words of wisdom for hunting this place?
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Kerr WMA - 11/13/14 01:53 AM

cheers best wishes safe hunting & keep your head held high & your powder dry flag
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Kerr WMA - 11/13/14 02:26 AM

I hunted there back in the late 70's. You won't see a lot of deer some days. I hunted 2 yrs in a row for archery and did not see much at all. I hunted one of those years the first week of Dec for rifle hunting. The rut was going strong. I could not rattle in a buck, but I did have them sneak into a grunt call. I had 8 bucks in a 30 minute period sneak in down wind of me. The second year I hunted the 190 acre or so size pasture where the breeding pens were for archery and rifle hunts. I was by myself and they allowed me to hunt that pasture. I jumped a really nice buck in archery season the first afternoon setting up my tripod. The deer can be tough to hunt in the thicker pastures. The pasture I rifle hunted had a saddle in it and that was the spot I had those bucks come up from either side of the saddle. One side was a deeper really thick cedar draw. I would try to pick a spot to hunt from in your pasture that gives you some views in several directions. I saw 3 axis bucks and rattled in all 3. Let 2 walk, one was shot by the guy in the next pasture. The last one I shot the first morning when I was rattling. The axis were the only thing I could get to respond to rattling.
Posted By: ATX_Hunter

Re: Kerr WMA - 11/17/14 06:01 PM

Thanks guys! I hope the next thread I start will have pictures from my outing this week.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum