Texas Hunting Forum

Need inexpensive scope

Posted By: garyrapp55

Need inexpensive scope - 05/01/23 05:07 PM

My son is not interested in shooting LR with the rifle/scope I got him for that purpose. I was planning on swapping his scope between his rig and my new 223. At the range yesterday that turned out to be more than I care to deal with. All he does is shoot pigs from the back deck at 70yds. I think I'll confiscate his scope for my new rifle and get him a scope more suited to the job. His rifle has no irons so no need to mention it. What do you think is the most budget friendly, fair quality glass for the job. A 4x32 would work just fine, I believe.
Posted By: Deans

Re: Need inexpensive scope - 05/01/23 05:21 PM

Look at one of these Burris Fullfield II ballistic plex. Amazon has them 130.00
Posted By: gr8fuldoug

Re: Need inexpensive scope - 05/01/23 05:22 PM

Sightmark Core HX 3-9x40 Hunter - Balistic Reticle for $99.99
Posted By: pertnear

Re: Need inexpensive scope - 05/01/23 05:35 PM

For what you want, I'd buy this scope here. Believe it or not, Simmons scopes are pretty good enough.

THF Scope
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Need inexpensive scope - 05/01/23 06:35 PM

Doug, what about this Hawke? I got a Hawke spotter from you a couple years back and it's great, of course, it's the best one they make too. I know a brand name doesn't make the entire line good or bad.
https://cameralandny.com/shop/hawke...0133-79bc-00163e9110c0?variation=1210305
Posted By: gr8fuldoug

Re: Need inexpensive scope - 05/01/23 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by garyrapp55
Doug, what about this Hawke? I got a Hawke spotter from you a couple years back and it's great, of course, it's the best one they make too. I know a brand name doesn't make the entire line good or bad.
https://cameralandny.com/shop/hawke...0133-79bc-00163e9110c0?variation=1210305

Very good scope, if a fixed 4x works for you
Posted By: Master Plumb

Re: Need inexpensive scope - 05/01/23 09:36 PM

I have a Bushnell Dusk/Dawn 3-9x 40 new take off scope for 50.00 located in Ft Worth 76179.
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Need inexpensive scope - 05/04/23 02:34 PM

Burris Droptine is a good scope for the price point.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Need inexpensive scope - 05/04/23 03:21 PM

I put an inexpensive Bushnell scope on my cheapest rifle and it has more than satisfied my needs.

The comments below concerning rifle scopes were sent to me by someone who works close to the sport and who hunts throughout the world.

Ever heard of Pareto's Law? It more or less applies in many situations including the world of rifle scopes. For instance, an entry level binocular (level 1) will give you 80% of the performance of a top end (level 3) binocular but does so at about 20% the cost. A Level 2 optic will give you 90-95% of the performance of a level 3 optic at around 30-50% of the cost. So, there's a BIG jump in performance along with a smaller jump in price going from entry level to mid-level, but a much smaller jump in performance accompanied by a significant jump in price going from mid-level to top end. This is a big simplification and there are obviously more than 3 levels of optics, but the idea is the same. Swaro is about as good as it gets with optics (especially binoculars and spotting scopes). I've compared my Leupold and Vortex glass side by side with Swaro glass and the Swaros are unquestionably better. That said, they're more like 10-20% better, not 2-3x better. The people who really NEED that performance almost always use Swaro optics. Think outfitters for coues deer, sheep, tahr, etc. I think most other hunters are better served by using stuff in that next tier down from other companies.

Simply put, you don't have to rob the bank to get glass that's plenty good enough to make it easier to hit a target.
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Need inexpensive scope - 06/02/23 08:55 PM

Don't mean to over ride the OP's question but I too am in need of a scope. Looking for a light weight 3-10x for the wife new gun when we get it. Don't want to break the bank but $250-300. What's your opinion of what to purchase? Thanks Daniel
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Need inexpensive scope - 06/02/23 09:02 PM

I've been impressed with the Sig Whiskey. 'Own 3 of them.
Posted By: David Maas

Re: Need inexpensive scope - 06/02/23 09:22 PM

This is what I would buy if I wanted cheap and reliable

Burris Fullfield E1 4.5-14x42mm Long Range MOA Reticle Riflescope

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Need inexpensive scope - 06/03/23 01:10 AM

That Burris scope at $155 is a steal. I have two, and they’ve been excellent, and I paid way more than $155.
Posted By: DustyArmadillo

Re: Need inexpensive scope - 06/03/23 03:43 PM

Owned a full field Burris as well, excellent scope for the money.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Need inexpensive scope - 06/03/23 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by DLALLDER
Don't mean to over ride the OP's question but I too am in need of a scope. Looking for a light weight 3-10x for the wife new gun when we get it. Don't want to break the bank but $250-300. What's your opinion of what to purchase? Thanks Daniel

In the $250-300 range, Burris is the answer. I would, however, look for a duplex reticle. Unless you get a FFP scope (which will take you way out of the $250-300 range), anything with graduations on the reticle are more trouble than they are worth, as they are only accurate at one setting...full zoom. Otherwise, you set yourself up for mistakes way too easily.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Need inexpensive scope - 06/03/23 09:52 PM

I have this one for sale. PM me for details. It's designed for the .223 cartridge.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum