Texas Hunting Forum

Pistol sight help…

Posted By: Judd

Pistol sight help… - 04/30/23 07:13 PM

I’m not a pistol sight user but I noticed my wife doesn’t shoot her G26 well without using the laser. So she wanted a new pistol and she landed on the G48 and I opted to get the MOS. I’ve narrowed it down to the Holosun 407k-x2 or 50k7-x2.

The question is for someone who doesn’t shoot a lot is the 2 moa dot too small and should I opt for the 6?

I know I’d prefer the 2 but thinking about her I’m leaning toward the 6. Thoughts…yes, very aware I’m likely overthinking this…it’s what I do roflmao
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Pistol sight help… - 04/30/23 09:09 PM

Or 6.

Whichever she likes.

I know you didn't ask, but I wouldn't buy a Chinasun optic.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Pistol sight help… - 04/30/23 10:01 PM

You need these

Pick your gun and optic
https://chpws.com/

If you’re going holosun I Belk e this one doesn’t make you buy a better after market plate

https://holosun.com/products/reflex-sight/eps/eps-carry-red-mrs.html

I would get a 2 moa dot and then turn it to the circle dot feature in the holosun. The EPS is enclosed emitter, that is probably better suited for carry

So far I haven’t seen any failures and one of our avid shooters Carry’s his appendix all day every day

Text me if you have more questions as I’m sure it will get muddy when the wannabes and and the range members jump in
Posted By: safarigene

Re: Pistol sight help… - 04/30/23 10:05 PM

I would go for the 507. The multi reticle lets her decide which works best. I put one on my p365xl. I actually prefer the circle dot reticle. It is big, but for carry, it is fast. If you want to shoot targets and go for small groups, you have the smaller 2 moa dot to use.
Posted By: George757

Re: Pistol sight help… - 05/05/23 08:13 PM

I concur with safarigene. I have a 507 on one of my pistols and absolutely love the circle-dot. Fast to acquire and very precise.
Posted By: Greg

Re: Pistol sight help… - 05/06/23 12:01 AM

I was never a pistol optic guy either until I tried it a couple years back. I clearly shoot better and like the “shake awake” feature.
Posted By: duckhunter175

Re: Pistol sight help… - 05/06/23 05:30 PM

The 407K and 507K are the exact same size (built for slimlines)-- there is a 507c but its a full sized optic.

Pistol optics are phenomenal-- but the small sight windows on the micro sized red dots are more of a liability than benefit to most folks.

A full size dot (507/508/509, RMR, SRO, ACRO) is great, whether you are shooting targets, comps or carrying for work or self defense. There is enough room to acquire the target and keep the dot in the window or predictably know its travel if it goes out of the window, even when shooting fast.

The RMRcc and 407/507K are just too damn small to be really useful IMO-- theyre built for slimline pistols for concealed carry. The time and distance of a concealed carry gunfight doesn't justify the need for an optic or the possible loss in time of tgt acquisition for folks who haven't trained thoroughly and aren't training with the dot regularly.

I put an RMRcc on my EDC 43x and then took it off.

Here is a good Force Science Institute study on 'expert', 'intermediate' and 'novice' shooters at close range distances on shots to torso and head-- the novices were only a few percentage points behind experts and actually scored better on the close range head shots. The study is from 2015 so I assume theyre using all irons.

https://www.forcescience.com/2015/09/fsi-study-the-surprising-deadly-threat-of-firearms-novices/
Posted By: safarigene

Re: Pistol sight help… - 05/06/23 06:52 PM

I am pretty sure that the full size 507c will not fit on a Glock 48. The slide is not wide enough for the sight. That is why the 507k was made for the slimmer single stack guns. I agree the bigger sight window is better, but it simply is not practical on the smaller guns, especially if it won't fit.

Re: Pistol sight help… - 05/06/23 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by safarigene
I am pretty sure that the full size 507c will not fit on a Glock 48. The slide is not wide enough for the sight. That is why the 507k was made for the slimmer single stack guns. I agree the bigger sight window is better, but it simply is not practical on the smaller guns, especially if it won't fit.

Correct- hopefully that was clear; and because you can't get a good window on a small gun it makes an RDS on a slim line pointless for most.

Re: Pistol sight help… - 05/06/23 07:11 PM

Judd,

I know you have the G48 already in hand and it sounds like the glock platform is what yall prefer and are familiar with, and the g43x/48 are really hard to beat especially with the 15rd shield mags.

I'll toss this out- S&W offers a M&P 2.0 Compact 3.6", NOT the shield series-- it would be similar to the g26 but I think the ergonomics are much better,-- it takes standard M&P 2.0 mags and it can take a full sized optic which I think makes it a great carry option if you want a dot on your EDC.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Pistol sight help… - 05/06/23 10:04 PM

Congrats on the new pistol for the missus. Let your wife look through both sights. Buy her the one she prefers. I learned that the hard way….

Re: Pistol sight help… - 05/07/23 02:20 AM

Couple things I should clarify…she shoots her g26 well but only with the laser. The main reason is because she doesn’t practice enough to remain good without depending on the laser. She didn’t want a new gun because of anything she didn’t like about the g26…she wanted one just because and I’m always building something so she knows I can’t say “no”…why would I, it’s another gun wink

So saying all of that, since she picked the g48 and based upon the comments here I’m going to go with a 507k-x2. If she doesn’t like it then I’ll buy another Crimson Trace for it. Then we’ll either get a g43 mos (I really like carrying my g43) or I’ll sell the sight. Either way, the main thing is this is about her and Smokey, you’re right…she needs to be on board with it.

Thanks guys, you did help…as always.
Posted By: ChasCZ

Re: Pistol sight help… - 05/07/23 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by duckhunter175
Judd,

I know you have the G48 already in hand and it sounds like the glock platform is what yall prefer and are familiar with, and the g43x/48 are really hard to beat especially with the 15rd shield mags.

I'll toss this out- S&W offers a M&P 2.0 Compact 3.6", NOT the shield series-- it would be similar to the g26 but I think the ergonomics are much better,-- it takes standard M&P 2.0 mags and it can take a full sized optic which I think makes it a great carry option if you want a dot on your EDC.

I just purchased the S&W9 2.0 Performance Center 4in. It came with a Crimson Trace RMR for it. Perfectly co-witnessed with the front night sight at 7 yards.
Posted By: WattoHunt

Re: Pistol sight help… - 05/07/23 03:48 PM

I would take a hard look at the Holosun EDC units as well.

I've been researching all the red dots for my P365 and the EDC unit continues to rise to the top.
Posted By: hetman

Re: Pistol sight help… - 05/15/23 09:05 PM

https://parasecsights.com/collections/sights

Pistol sights, whether fiber optic, tritium, or factory Glock placeholders, are all generally built one way. There is a dot of color or glow or whatever that is in the middle of the sight, to draw your eye to focus on the sight. And that dot isn’t actually the aiming point. The aiming point is the top of the sight, if you want an accurate shot. For real. That is the point of zero on every pistol sight in the inventory. The very top edge of the front sight post.

Parasec though, what if we move the color bit up to the top, so the bright part is also the aiming part? And, what if instead of a dot, we used a line, all the way across the top of the front and rear? And what if those things together, when lined up, made a straight line, and that was how you aimed? Which they did, and it is absolutely brilliant.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Pistol sight help… - 05/17/23 02:10 AM

Go 6 or 8 MOA
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Pistol sight help… - 05/20/23 01:47 AM

I rely primarily on my GREEN laser sights. They are so fast and dumass proof. The dot sights are cool and fast ONCE you get your target aquired.

BUT

If you aren't shooting once a week or more. I just don't think the dot is fast enough in a HIGH STRESS situation. my milage though. I'm old but I'm slow.

2cents
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Pistol sight help… - 05/20/23 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
I rely primarily on my GREEN laser sights. They are so fast and dumass proof. The dot sights are cool and fast ONCE you get your target aquired.

BUT

If you aren't shooting once a week or more. I just don't think the dot is fast enough in a HIGH STRESS situation. my milage though. I'm old but I'm slow.

2cents

I disagree

Re: Pistol sight help… - 05/23/23 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Brother in-law
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw

BUT

2cents

I disagree

On the old and slow part or the other? roflmao

Re: Pistol sight help… - 05/23/23 08:00 PM

In a strange turn of events and me being a Vortex homer (I don't buy their cheap stuff and I haven't had any issues)...I ordered a Vortex Defender CCW with 6 MOA dot.

We'll see what she thinks, fingers crossed she likes it.
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Pistol sight help… - 05/23/23 10:12 PM

Well you Judded this up! roflmao bolt
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Pistol sight help… - 05/23/23 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Judd
In a strange turn of events and me being a Vortex homer (I don't buy their cheap stuff and I haven't had any issues)...I ordered a Vortex Defender CCW with 6 MOA dot.

We'll see what she thinks, fingers crossed she likes it.

I can't believe you're trusting your wife's life to Vortex.

Re: Pistol sight help… - 05/24/23 12:29 AM

It’ll be fine, she won’t use it for a hammer or put heat to it wink
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Pistol sight help… - 05/24/23 12:32 AM

rofl
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Pistol sight help… - 05/24/23 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Judd
It’ll be fine, she won’t use it for a hammer or put heat to it wink

You act like you know I do chit like that. peep
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Pistol sight help… - 05/24/23 10:04 PM

awesome.. I hope she willl put in the time to really get used to it and "finding the dot"
There is definitely a learning curve
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: Pistol sight help… - 05/26/23 01:04 AM

I am in the process of switching over to dots...I should have done it 10 years ago.

I have Holosun 507Cs on two different Shadow Systems guns and a Gen 3 Glock 17. There is a learning curve but IME it is totally worth the work.

Imagine the best open sights group you have ever shot with a handgun. Now make it 50% smaller. That is what dots did for me. No magnified glasses, no squinting, both eyes open, focus on the target, boom.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Pistol sight help… - 05/26/23 02:50 PM

They are simple to master Judd. Keep it simple for her. Tell her to look at the target then just put the pistol between her eye and the target. Once she grasps that, it is just a matter of coordination. A lot of women take to shooting handguns better than men. I like irons but my wife loves a red dot. The one I bought her is a Leupold. She is fast with it.

Re: Pistol sight help… - 05/26/23 09:41 PM

I think it was delivered today...maybe I'll get her out in the next month or so...I'll post and update and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the input. up
Posted By: Nolanco

Re: Pistol sight help… - 05/28/23 02:00 PM

Hetman: Thanks for the link to Parasec. I had not heard of these sights before. I wish they made them for the M&P Shield.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum