Texas Hunting Forum

Rings scratch scope

Posted By: syncerus

Rings scratch scope - 04/24/23 10:48 PM

Is there a way to put the 2/3 section of rings on a scope in such a way that they are unlikely to scratch it? I mean rings that aren’t divided into semicircles, but more into 2/3 + 1/3, where the 2/3 section must be snapped over the scope tube. I really dislike the design, but maybe there’s a secret to the mounting process known to everyone but me.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Rings scratch scope - 04/24/23 11:32 PM

Nope, they "snap" in over the scope tube. You can manually pull them apart to help minimize the scratch or pressure needed to get them on. But I try not to use those style of rings, unless I have to.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Rings scratch scope - 04/25/23 01:02 AM

Get new rings.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Rings scratch scope - 04/25/23 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by J.G.
Get new rings.

Yeah, there are too many other affordable options.

Although I bet a piece of paper on each side will protect the scope while sliding it over.

Re: Rings scratch scope - 04/25/23 04:23 AM

In this particular case, changing rings isn’t possible otherwise I’d make an immediate switch. The paper trick is a great idea. I’ll give it a try.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Rings scratch scope - 04/25/23 10:22 AM

The paper method has worked well enough for me in the past that marking up the scope tube was never an issue. It seems like the rings were Leupold QRWs, but that's info retrieved from a cluttered old memory.

Re: Rings scratch scope - 04/25/23 01:33 PM

These rings (Dentler), are very similar to the Leupold QRWs, which I’ve also used and also dislike for exactly the same reason.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Rings scratch scope - 04/26/23 03:47 AM

Why can't you switch rings?

I'd never use a design like that and can't think of a good reason for anyone else to

Re: Rings scratch scope - 04/26/23 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by patriot07

Mounting options for a Mauser M03 are very limited these days as the factory has largely abandoned the model. Dentler makes quality bases and rings, that are available and work very well, but their rings are the type described previously.

Re: Rings scratch scope - 04/27/23 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by syncerus
Originally Posted by patriot07

Mounting options for a Mauser M03 are very limited these days as the factory has largely abandoned the model. Dentler makes quality bases and rings, that are available and work very well, but their rings are the type described previously.

Does anyone make a Weaver style base?

Re: Rings scratch scope - 04/27/23 01:10 PM

The rifles have builtins in a proprietary format. Unfortunately, like magazines, they are no longer producing the factory mounts. It is a beautifully designed rifle, but the abrupt collapse of factory support is painful.

Re: Rings scratch scope - 04/27/23 01:45 PM

Can't remember which, but some Rugers have scope bases as part of the top of the action. However, there is a pic rail that will attach to Ruger's base.
Posted By: P_102

Re: Rings scratch scope - 04/27/23 03:26 PM

YouTube: Mauser mount for MO3

Re: Rings scratch scope - 04/28/23 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by P_102
YouTube: Mauser mount for MO3

Excellent, but unobtanium.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum