Texas Hunting Forum

Good optic, rings, and base makes this easy.

Posted By: J.G.

Good optic, rings, and base makes this easy. - 02/27/23 01:34 AM

Days ago, I had to loan my scope to a customer that came out to shoot. He had a new rifle that was wearing a 20 MOA pic rail, same as mine. His was chambered in 7mm PRC, shooting 175 Hornady ammo. Once my scope was on his rifle, I bore sighted it, then he started shooting it. Once fouled in, after 6 shots, the correction from my rifle to his rifle was UP 1.6 Mil and Right 1.0 Mil. I documented that, and then zeroed the turrets. He used the scope all day, dialing and holding out to 800 yards.

Night Force NX8 F-1 4-32X Mil-C
Night Force Ultralite 4 screw rings
EGW 20 MOA Pic rail
7mm-08 A.I. 162 gr hand loads

Mounted it back on my rifle, reversed the corrections from his rifle and fired one shot.

.1 Mil larger than that elevation and windage error. Cannot dial it in any tighter.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Good optic, rings, and base makes this easy. - 02/27/23 01:57 AM

It's very satisfying when you can cover a group with a dime, ain't it?

wink

No weak link in your hardware chain there.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Good optic, rings, and base makes this easy. - 02/27/23 02:08 AM

That is mighty impressive.

On the subject of scope mounts on the Grendel, for load workup I use a daylight scope with a pic rail mount. It isn’t a quick detach. For normal pig hunting I mount the Wraith Mini, and it doesn’t have a quick detach mount either. Well, it has one, but I’m not using it. Put them in the right spots on the rail and torque em down and POI is pretty consistent, but not exact. Never having used the quick detach type mounts, would they be more precise in holding the POI’s when I swap scopes around? And I’m shooting at much less distance than you long distance guys do, so less actual precision is necessary. I’m just wondering…

Of course, it isn’t that big a deal, since I can check POI on my range when I do scope swapping.

Re: Good optic, rings, and base makes this easy. - 02/27/23 02:11 AM

I have no QD mounts. Only clamp style with cross bolt and nut. Night Force lists those nuts at 65 in/lbs.

If you want to get picky, torque those the same every time. I have to believe that's more consistent than any QD mount with a lever.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Good optic, rings, and base makes this easy. - 02/27/23 02:14 AM

Good to know. Mechanically it seemed that I should be Ok leaving things the way they are. Always the chance I’m missing something though. Got to stay current.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Good optic, rings, and base makes this easy. - 02/28/23 02:36 AM

I used Iota rings on my 300 WSM switch barrel with a Nightforce 2-10x42mm.
I was keeping a scope for each different barrel and 3 years in a row I mounted that Nightforce torqued the rings down installed the 300 WSM barrel and never moved the scope a click.

Re: Good optic, rings, and base makes this easy. - 02/28/23 02:51 AM

That's next level D! up
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Good optic, rings, and base makes this easy. - 02/28/23 07:06 PM

Where did he find 7 PRC ammo?
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Good optic, rings, and base makes this easy. - 02/28/23 07:47 PM

10 shot group?

Re: Good optic, rings, and base makes this easy. - 02/28/23 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sneaky

I have no idea.

Re: Good optic, rings, and base makes this easy. - 02/28/23 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
10 shot group?

You don't read so good do you?

I know, it would require you to pay attention for more than 5 seconds. peep
Posted By: dee

Re: Good optic, rings, and base makes this easy. - 02/28/23 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by DStroud
I used Iota rings on my 300 WSM switch barrel with a Nightforce 2-10x42mm.
I was keeping a scope for each different barrel and 3 years in a row I mounted that Nightforce torqued the rings down installed the 300 WSM barrel and never moved the scope a click.

I run all Hawkins setups for rings and routinely have similar results. I’ll pull the setup down completely including pulling the barrel and it’s always right on the money. Granted that’s a complement of the entire system but the rings/base are a vital key imo.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Good optic, rings, and base makes this easy. - 03/01/23 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by J.G.
Originally Posted by Sneaky

I have no idea.

All the same. A couple weeks ago I couldn’t find ammo or brass to save my life. Could have been my own shortcomings, of course. Since you’ve mentioned it, I’ve located several sources online and to my astonishment, found three boxes at an Academy. Either Hornady caught up or I did, but it’s all the same.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Good optic, rings, and base makes this easy. - 03/02/23 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by 603Country
That is mighty impressive.

On the subject of scope mounts on the Grendel, for load workup I use a daylight scope with a pic rail mount. It isn’t a quick detach. For normal pig hunting I mount the Wraith Mini, and it doesn’t have a quick detach mount either. Well, it has one, but I’m not using it. Put them in the right spots on the rail and torque em down and POI is pretty consistent, but not exact. Never having used the quick detach type mounts, would they be more precise in holding the POI’s when I swap scopes around? And I’m shooting at much less distance than you long distance guys do, so less actual precision is necessary. I’m just wondering…

Of course, it isn’t that big a deal, since I can check POI on my range when I do scope swapping.

I’ve never had my QD mounts lose zero. I’ve also never used them on a rifle as accurate as what JG is shooting, so take what I say with a grain of error.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Good optic, rings, and base makes this easy. - 03/02/23 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by J.G.
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
10 shot group?

You don't read so good do you?

I know, it would require you to pay attention for more than 5 seconds. peep

no, just looks like most of my 10 shot groups.

I think I saw 7mmPRC at Scheels but git your wallet fat.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum