Texas Hunting Forum

Wraith 4k or the Mini?

Posted By: 603Country

Wraith 4k or the Mini? - 11/01/22 02:32 PM

After last night’s (don’t ask) hog hunting, I’m thinking about night vision again. Max range would be 150 yards or so. What makes one model better for me than the other? And what else do I need to be set up for night hunting?

Haven’t yet decided what rifle to put it on. Probably the 6.5 Grendel AR, but maybe the Sako 270 bolt gun.
Posted By: BigDad

Re: Wraith 4k or the Mini? - 11/01/22 06:09 PM

I have the Mini 4k 2-16X and the older HD 4-32X. I prefer the Mini primarily due to is size and weight and larger field of view. The magnification is plenty for what I do and 16 power is very usable unlike the 32 power on the HD. Also the field of view on the HD4-32X is very small even at 4X. I can't speak to the larger 4K models as I have not used them but they are just about as big and heavy as the HD 4-32X so I'll pass on them.
Posted By: RHutch

Re: Wraith 4k or the Mini? - 11/01/22 06:38 PM

The Mini gives up nothing to the full size unit….other than weight and size.
I upgraded the factory IR light to a sniper hog light which I would highly recommend.
I’ve shot it out to just under 200 yards in total darkness with zero issues identifying or hitting targets.

Re: Wraith 4k or the Mini? - 11/01/22 08:38 PM

Ok, that’s the info I was looking for. I wonder who has the best price, if such a thing exists. A Mini it is.
Posted By: RHutch

Re: Wraith 4k or the Mini? - 11/01/22 11:48 PM

Call Doug at Cameraland for starters.
Posted By: scot

Re: Wraith 4k or the Mini? - 11/02/22 03:04 AM

Mini is the answer!

There have been a few used one here or on Texasbowhunter.
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Wraith 4k or the Mini? - 11/02/22 12:35 PM

I've bought both my night scopes from Outdoor Legacy. Those guys are great.
Posted By: Dzhitshard

Re: Wraith 4k or the Mini? - 11/02/22 12:44 PM

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned it yet but the mini is not a good choice if your intent is to possibly mount it on that Sako bolt gun you mentioned in the OP

If that is important, or even much of a consideration for you the mini should be scrubbed from the list of possibles.

The lack of cantilevered bolt action mounts for the mini is the only reason mine doesn't get more use.

Re: Wraith 4k or the Mini? - 11/02/22 12:52 PM

I’ll put it on either the AR15 (223) or the grandson’s 6.5G AR.
Posted By: BigDad

Re: Wraith 4k or the Mini? - 11/02/22 12:55 PM

Good point Dzhitshard, all of the Wraith NV series are designed for AR platforms and need an adaptor for proper eye relief on bolt actions. I have provided a link to the adaptor for the mini. See pic of my Savage 110 UL below. The adaptor works well but sure is ugly.
https://sightmark.com/products/sightmark-wraith-mini-long-mount

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: Wraith 4k or the Mini? - 11/02/22 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dzhitshard
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned it yet but the mini is not a good choice if your intent is to possibly mount it on that Sako bolt gun you mentioned in the OP

If that is important, or even much of a consideration for you the mini should be scrubbed from the list of possibles.

The lack of cantilevered bolt action mounts for the mini is the only reason mine doesn't get more use.

You’re not wrong

A $ 27 aluminum scope rail that rides atop the factory rail (AR) or aftermarket flat rail (bolt action) is the another possible solution.

You have to be keen to bolt torque on these stacked rail setups , let locktite cure fully before adding optics weight

Also you have to train yourself on a bit higher cheek weld - adds about .75” of scope centerline to bore height

Oh and you have got to say Ghetto Fabulous when you complete the install

[Linked Image]

Re: Wraith 4k or the Mini? - 11/02/22 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Pig_Popper
Originally Posted by Dzhitshard

You’re not wrong

A $ 27 aluminum scope rail that rides atop the factory rail (AR) or aftermarket flat rail (bolt action) is the another possible solution.

You have to be keen to bolt torque on these stacked rail setups , let locktite cure fully before adding optics weight

Also you have to train yourself on a bit higher cheek weld - adds about .75” of scope centerline to bore height

Oh and you have got to say Ghetto Fabulous when you complete the install

[Linked Image]

I Love it,

I myself am a crowned prince of the ghetto fabulous mods. I just think that they're generally pretty impractical and that they aren't the best options for people who aren't committed cobblers.

I have done the rail riser mods myself (YHM is the lowest height most functional option that I found). They are relatively workable for single shot plinking or water trough sniper ops but they are not the most usable options in the bulk of field use.

related to risers:
I still have a couple hundred $$ worth of kydex sheets and bolts for making cheek risers to make the rail risers somewhat more workable but I'm at the point I'd rather buy a $50 eBay Ruger American take off stock and get after it with a hacksaw to shorten the LOP instead of going the route of stacking risers again.
Posted By: Outdoor Legacy

Re: Wraith 4k or the Mini? - 11/03/22 12:40 AM

FYI there is a cantilever mount now that fits ALL current Wraiths and it even has a really cool optional offset picatinny rail adapter included to mount the IR light on if you want.

https://outdoorlegacygear.com/products/sightmark-wraith-mini-long-mount

Also, between the Wraith 4K Mini and 4K Max, my opinion is choose the one that has the right magnification for you. The Minis are 2x and 4x and the Max is 3x. There are a lot of people who choose the Max because the 3x magnification is sort of of a nice middle ground. Also, side by side, image quality between them all basically the same. I can tell no difference that matters.

Good luck!

Jason

Re: Wraith 4k or the Mini? - 11/03/22 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy
FYI there is a cantilever mount now that fits ALL current Wraiths and it even has a really cool optional offset picatinny rail adapter included to mount the IR light on if you want.

Also, between the Wraith 4K Mini and 4K Max, my opinion is choose the one that has the right magnification for you. The Minis are 2x and 4x and the Max is 3x. There are a lot of people who choose the Max because the 3x magnification is sort of of a nice middle ground. Also, side by side, image quality between them all basically the same. I can tell no difference that matters.

Good luck!

Jason

Shut the front door.

I think I just found a reason to pull this of the 22wmr 🤘🏼
Posted By: Tim9880

Re: Wraith 4k or the Mini? - 11/03/22 02:06 PM

Good luck!

Jason

Just ordered one, thanks.

To the OP, I also recommend picking based on the mag range you prefer. Think you will be happy either way, the wraith is a great affordable night vision scope.
Posted By: jerbisho

Re: Wraith 4k or the Mini? - 11/10/22 05:26 AM

Good luck!

Jason

Just ordered my Wraith mini from Outdoor Legacy... should arrive tomorrow, can't wait to try it out. Thanks to all above for the info and reviews on the product.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum