Texas Hunting Forum

Tripod for Spotting Scope

Posted By: tfaught50

Tripod for Spotting Scope - 08/27/22 11:56 PM

Just picked up a razor 22-48 spotter and need helping picking a tripod to compliment. I was going to grab a vortex high country but I heard the ball head is a pain to use? I am looking to stay around $250 for a full setup
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Tripod for Spotting Scope - 08/28/22 12:14 AM

What is your intended purpose? Backpack hiking or stand hunting? Is weight a concern?

The one i settled on was on amazon with a ball head. The ball head vs pan head discussion is the same as angled vs straight or ford vs chevy….personal pref that there is no real issue to adapt to either.

Innorel gt324c with a 44mm ball head as i plan to use spotter, DSLR, and iphone on this. Bought a aziak mount for my binos to use on it too.

Very solid, somewhat lightweight , and folds essentially flat so easier to carry. Lots of options on tripods, it is all dependent on how much you want to spend vs weight/size/ease of use/ergonomics/etc…
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Tripod for Spotting Scope - 08/28/22 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by tfaught50
Just picked up a razor 22-48 spotter and need helping picking a tripod to compliment. I was going to grab a vortex high country but I heard the ball head is a pain to use? I am looking to stay around $250 for a full setup

Angled or straight eye piece and how tall are you? What are you going to use spotter for(close to truck, backcountry, gun range, etc)?

Re: Tripod for Spotting Scope - 08/28/22 06:35 PM

It’s going to be about 50/50 backpacking and stand. I’m 6’2ish and the spotter is angled head
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Tripod for Spotting Scope - 08/29/22 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by tfaught50
It’s going to be about 50/50 backpacking and stand. I’m 6’2ish and the spotter is angled head

https://sandsarchery.com/products/s...g9kffk4nZtoqHbfD2KRRzgwqhARoCV5sQAvD_BwE
Posted By: gr8fuldoug

Re: Tripod for Spotting Scope - 08/29/22 01:31 PM

It would be our pleasure to discuss different options with you if you've got the time to give a call. Speak with Joel our resident tripod guru
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Tripod for Spotting Scope - 08/29/22 04:09 PM

Get a stable one, wind can make spotting a real pain if your tripod is moving around. Top heavy due to spotter weight also makes that movement really noticeable.
Get yourself a nice window mount too. The old Bushnell's are good ones.
Posted By: 7six2

Re: Tripod for Spotting Scope - 08/30/22 02:37 AM

I use a SURI VA-5 pan head mounted on a SLIK AMT tripod. I'm extremely satisfied. Its very well built, but not light. My application is long distance shooting, hunting from a stationary location, and celestial photography.

Re: Tripod for Spotting Scope - 08/30/22 07:42 PM

Right after posting this I found a vortex ridgeview Brand new in the box for $400. I haven’t received it in the mail yet but I’m hoping it’s as good as the reviews say
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Tripod for Spotting Scope - 08/30/22 07:45 PM

The combo that Bobo suggested is what I have for backpack hunting.

gr8fuldoug (he posted above) and Joel, at cameralandny.com, are great as are their prices. I've made several purchases from them.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum