Texas Hunting Forum

Cheap Scope

Posted By: unclebubba

Cheap Scope - 05/17/22 11:04 PM

The inexpensive scope for a .22 got me thinking. What is your definition of a cheap scope? I've recently had two different friends ask me about "cheap scopes" and what I recommended. They were both looking at sub-$100 no name crap. My advice to both was that "cheap scopes" are really expensive because you'll eventually have to buy a different one anyhow. Both were asking for a cheap scope for an AR. One of which I steered towards a Burris RT-6. (He wanted illumination and LPVO) A few weeks later, he told me that he was SOOOO glad I talked him into that scope and that he LOVED it! The other wanted higher magnification, and I steered him to a Burris Fullfield as the bottom line that I would go. He ended up getting some $30 special on Amazon. bang For me, the cheapest I would go on a "cheap" scope is a Burris Fullfield...and they are running $200-$400 nowadays. What are y'alls bottom line "cheap" scope?
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Cheap Scope - 05/18/22 12:29 AM

If it is for something I am hunting with, not just plinking then $300 plus just for the scope is about my minimum.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Cheap Scope - 05/18/22 01:39 AM

I took a $500 scope off my 22LR and replaced it with a $175 Athlon. So far, so good. I never considered it to be “cheap”. I think a $175 Athlon is a better buy than a $175 Vortex, but that’s just my opinion based on user data so far.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Cheap Scope - 05/18/22 02:01 AM

For a rimfire, $200 would be considered cheap by myself. For a whitetail set up, less than $600.00. The only whitetail set up I have that meets this criteria is a Burris Signature HD, and it's a great scope.

Re: Cheap Scope - 05/18/22 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by 603Country
I took a $500 scope off my 22LR and replaced it with a $175 Athlon. So far, so good. I never considered it to be “cheap”. I think a $175 Athlon is a better buy than a $175 Vortex, but that’s just my opinion based on user data so far.

I bought a $299 Athlon Talos for one of my. 22's a few years ago and thought it was great...at first. Now, I realize that it's cheap Chinese junk. It's gonna take a while, but it'll be replaced along with the other junk that I've bought through the years.
Posted By: pertnear

Re: Cheap Scope - 05/18/22 05:49 AM

If you want a good "cheap" scope & you are not in a hurry, this works for me.

I buy older Redfield 3x-9x scopes at gunshows for about $25. These usually have a brownish hue when you look through them. Make sure the body is in good condition & the caps & adjustments are fully intact. Then send it to Iron-sight to be refurbished. Current price is $95 with shipping. They are back logged so the turn-around is 4 to 6 mo. Currently they are doing a 2x-7x & a 3x-9x for me that I bought the pair for $50. The scope you get back is super clear & precise - they look good & perform like new! Oh yeah, they have a warranty too.

FWIW: Just my 2 cents on "cheap" hunting scopes.....
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Cheap Scope - 05/18/22 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by pertnear
If you want a good "cheap" scope & you are not in a hurry, this works for me.

I buy older Redfield 3x-9x scopes at gunshows for about $25. These usually have a brownish hue when you look through them. Make sure the body is in good condition & the caps & adjustments are fully intact. Then send it to Iron-sight to be refurbished. Current price is $95 with shipping. They are back logged so the turn-around is 4 to 6 mo. Currently they are doing a 2x-7x & a 3x-9x for me that I bought the pair for $50. The scope you get back is super clear & precise - they look good & perform like new! Oh yeah, they have a warranty too.

FWIW: Just my 2 cents on "cheap" hunting scopes.....

Interesting. Thanks
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Cheap Scope - 05/18/22 01:02 PM

'Cheap' is around $200 for me.
Posted By: Gringo Bling

Re: Cheap Scope - 05/18/22 01:55 PM

Like all other cheap crap that I've bought over the years, it all ends up being replaced with better quality at some point. I hate overpaying, so I will always look for the best price, but I never buy junk products anymore (on the flip side, I never buy the most expensive either). Even for a rimfire scope, I'm not a fan of Leupold, but I put a $300 VX-Freedom 2-7x33 on a .22LR and it does the job.

Re: Cheap Scope - 05/18/22 03:33 PM

I bought this 3x-9x Redfield at a gunshow for $30. Sent it to Ironsite for $85 refurb. Came back crystal clear & tracks like an indian! Cheap scope but not junk!
[Linked Image]

Re: Cheap Scope - 05/18/22 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by pertnear
I bought this 3x-9x Redfield at a gunshow for $30. Sent it to Ironsite for $85 refurb. Came back crystal clear & tracks like an indian! Cheap scope but not junk!
[Linked Image]

Very interesting! Yes, "cheap" and "inexpensive" are not the same thing. I would imagine that many of the older Redfield, Bushnell and Leupold scopes fit this category.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Cheap Scope - 05/19/22 03:42 AM

All of my rifles have NC Star optics
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Cheap Scope - 05/19/22 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Tactical Cowboy

Great optics but I prefer Barska.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Cheap Scope - 05/19/22 03:39 PM

Then you’d love my Barska spotting scope. Heck, I’d give it to ya.

Re: Cheap Scope - 05/19/22 03:42 PM

roflmao
Posted By: RevolverFan

Re: Cheap Scope - 05/24/22 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
Originally Posted by Tactical Cowboy

Great optics but I prefer Barska.

Gave me the chuckle I really needed today lol!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum