Texas Hunting Forum

Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It?

Posted By: scot

Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/12/21 04:45 AM

Needing/wanting to upgrade optic on my AR-10. In the $500 range the PST seems real hard to beat. Is the Gen 2 model $200 and 8oz better compared to the Gen 1 model?
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/12/21 05:10 AM

Absolutely. The zero reset alone on the PST2 makes it worth the $200
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/12/21 05:11 AM

Are you looking at a 1-6?

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/12/21 02:32 PM

I’m stuck between a 6-24 Gen 1 for $450, a 3-15 Gen 2 for $550, or a 5-25 Gen 2 for $650. I know after I upgrade the ar 10 my bolt rifle will require an upgrade as well.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/12/21 03:14 PM

I’m not a huge Vortex fan but it’s hard to beat when the price when they go on clearance. I just picked up an Athlon Helios from Camera Land. Shockingly, this little sucker has 32 mils of elevation. Athlon might be worth a look. I also like the Primary Arms GLX optics in that price range. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: J.G.

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/12/21 04:26 PM

Friends don't let friends buy Vortex.

Same money spent on a Burris. That will do the same work, but not break down.

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/12/21 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Friends don't let friends buy Vortex.

Same money spent on a Burris. That will do the same work, but not break down.

I thought the XTR was the only acceptable Burris scope but that is double and nearly triple the money?

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/12/21 05:35 PM

You can get a 2-10X or 3-15X around $700 or less.

And even if you have to spend a bit more than the Vortex, it will be worth it. Burris also has a great warranty, and reportedly great customer service, though it is used far less than Vortex is.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/13/21 12:07 AM

The 3-15 PST Gen 2 is a really good scope optically for the money and has a good feature set. But the 3-15 Burris is more robust and almost as good optically. Their SCR reticle (if I recall that's what they call it) is really excellent. You almost never hear of them breaking down. The Burris and SWFA HD are maybe the two best sub-$1000 scopes for long range precision on the market. But I don't dislike the Vortex as much as some for a casual user. If you're gonna beat it up, you're definitely better off with the SWFA or Burris
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/13/21 02:27 AM

The PST 2 kicks the crap out of that PST 1 by far and is also better than that Burris Xtr

If your gun will hold it without the screwing the balance of a rifle that 5x25 is nice

The deal you have found of that clearance Vortex is a good one
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/13/21 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Brother in-law
The PST 2 kicks the crap out of that PST 1 by far and is also better than that Burris Xtr

If your gun will hold it without the screwing the balance of a rifle that 5x25 is nice

Considering I beat you with a burris at a very known match at know your limits and the rules were known. Not the scope just the indian that day?

Kyle has the video on youtube if you need to recall that memory.

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/13/21 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by 2Beez

Considering I beat you with a burris at a very known match at know your limits and the rules were known. Not the scope just the indian that day?

Still a Vortex, still more likely to NOT track, and/or break down than many other brands, inuding Burris.

Seen Razor line fail to track and/or break down multiple times. Drop down below Razor line, and the odds are even worse.

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/13/21 03:15 AM

PST 2 is still better than the Burris

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/13/21 03:19 AM

I know you’re drunk or sucking on a delta 8 vape pen but you haven’t beat anybody or anything other than your meat

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/13/21 03:30 AM

Give me 5 and I shall remind you...

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/13/21 03:32 AM

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/13/21 03:35 AM

3:41 is the time stamp if you to jump ahead fyi... I would watch it in its entirety as it was a well put together piece by Kyle. I think this is the one he got the nickname dammit kyle lol

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/13/21 03:39 AM

Are you the top or power bottom in you and kyles relationship?

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/13/21 03:43 AM

I apologize. It was 2017 when I got 3rd and you were no where to be found on the leader board. That is why we made the shirts the next year lol. Why you worried about that? Seems concerning patty

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/13/21 04:52 AM

I apologize. It was 2017 when I got 3rd and you were no where to be found on the leader board. That is why we made the shirts the next year lol. Why you worried about that? Seems concerning patty

What year was it a Vortex PST and factory Savage shooting shelf ammo beat everybody? popcorn

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/13/21 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by BigPig

What year was it a Vortex PST and factory Savage shooting shelf ammo beat everybody? popcorn

I was there when you got stuck in the field if that is what you are asking and Ramball had to pull you out. roflmao

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/13/21 05:08 AM

You won fitz a curtis action in 16' i think... Well played dipshit....
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/13/21 02:10 PM

The look on BIL's face was priceless as was the tampon tied to his rifle. The guy that placed third is a good looking SOB.

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/13/21 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Big Fitz
The look on BIL's face was priceless as was the tampon tied to his rifle. The guy that placed third is proof humans evolved from primates, some more than others.
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/13/21 04:18 PM

Middle finger emoji up for Peppa.
Posted By: mikebass78

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/13/21 10:34 PM

have a Nikon M308 for sale on here
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/13/21 11:06 PM

Not only the Burris, but it's not much of a jump to the Bushnell LRHS/LRTS 4.5-18. The new Gen 2 has ED glass in it.
Posted By: TAB

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/14/21 12:32 AM

Is buy 2 Arken’s before I bought a vortex pst

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/14/21 12:36 AM

I’ll be the odd man out for the Burris XTR. While I agree with JG that it’s probably the most robust scope for the price, it’s not without its flaws. The eye relief is very finicky in the upper zoom range, above 15x, and it’s low light performance leaves a lot to be desired. On mine, and seems to be a somewhat common issue, the reticle Illuminator dial works correctly about 5% of the time, often requiring a decent bump to get it to work.

I think the glass in the PST2 is better, at least for my eyes.

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/14/21 12:48 AM

Finicky eye relief, Vortex trait.

Low light performance gripe, Vortex trait.

At least the Burris won't break down on you.

Back up iron sights were invented because of Vortex optics.

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/14/21 05:06 PM

I’ll be the odd man out for the Burris XTR. While I agree with JG that it’s probably the most robust scope for the price, it’s not without its flaws. The eye relief is very finicky in the upper zoom range, above 15x, and it’s low light performance leaves a lot to be desired. On mine, and seems to be a somewhat common issue, the reticle Illuminator dial works correctly about 5% of the time, often requiring a decent bump to get it to work.

I think the glass in the PST2 is better, at least for my eyes.

Yep

The Bushnell elite is also a good buy well above that said Burris
Posted By: glb1955

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/14/21 08:40 PM

It's a good scope. Never had any issues with the ones I use for hunting. For hunting, not competition.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/14/21 08:52 PM

I'd take glass clarity over being able to use it as a hammer in a pinch. I just treat my expensive stuff like well expensive stuff...never had a Vortex scope lay down but to be fair the lowest level one I've had is the original PST.

Yes, the PST 2 is that much better than the PST 1...especially for the $200.

I'll go so far as saying...the Razor LHT is the best hunting scope on the market right now (my opinion)...I LOVE mine. I had a lot of apprehension over the dot, that was gone after the first animal I killed with it...now I like dots over crosshairs, who knew grin
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/15/21 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by scot
Needing/wanting to upgrade optic on my AR-10. In the $500 range the PST seems real hard to beat. Is the Gen 2 model $200 and 8oz better compared to the Gen 1 model?

I’d just step up to the LHT and be done with it.

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/16/21 12:37 PM

Back up iron sights were invented because of Vortex optics.

Ha. Not hardly. BUIS’s were created for a niche market that was soon exploited by the tacticool market. The same guys that run them on there AR and have absolutely zero need for them wouldn’t think of having them on there bolt action

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/16/21 01:01 PM

"Their"

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/17/21 12:28 AM

"Their"

Cool. Thanks 2’Beez. Sorry my grammar wasn’t perfect after being up 24 hours

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/17/21 12:39 AM

"Their"

crying

So you had one day of feeling like you worked for the Fire Department instead of the Police Department and you're whining because you f-ed up something as simple as there, their, they're.

Seek life elsewhere.

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/17/21 12:59 AM

"Their"

crying

So you had one day of feeling like you worked for the Fire Department instead of the Police Department and you're whining because you f-ed up something as simple as there, their, they're.

Seek life elsewhere.

Give me a break. Y’all literally sleep on the clock. Please, when you want to work 2 full time jobs that only allow broken sleep through the day, please let me know. More days then not I get home at 7am, I’m up around 10-11am, and may get a 20 minute nap before work.

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/17/21 01:31 AM

You will not impress me.

Call Judd or Fitz and ask them my hours and effort. At least as far as they know.

And I've been at it every day for 20 years straight. Paid off last month. Hopefully it will pay off again in about 5 years.

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/17/21 02:39 AM

You two one uppers. Y’all ain’t [censored] compared to animal rescue/patrol. They have to deal with skunks

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/17/21 02:55 AM

You will not impress me.

Call Judd or Fitz and ask them my hours and effort. At least as far as they know.

And I've been at it every day for 20 years straight. Paid off last month. Hopefully it will pay off again in about 5 years.

Never cared to impress you up

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/17/21 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
You two one uppers. Y’all ain’t [censored] compared to animal rescue/patrol. They have to deal with skunks

You’ve clearly never had a homeless person throw [censored] on you. A skunk isn’t so bad

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/17/21 03:02 AM

"Their"

How da fuq did I get drug into this?

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/17/21 03:06 AM

"Their"

You’re the groupie grammar queen

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/17/21 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

You’ve clearly never had a homeless person throw [censored] on you. A skunk isn’t so bad

I’m just glad I got both your two queens so I don’t have to deal with stuff y’all have to deal with.

Thank you both.

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/17/21 03:23 AM

"Their"

You have seen the evidence and are full of chit inspector roflmao

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/17/21 04:07 AM

You have seen the evidence and are full of chit inspector roflmao

You’re beer goggles are hindering you from seeing all the evidence

Re: Vortex PST Gen 2 Worth It? - 12/17/21 05:00 AM

[censored], those come on about 9 focker. 10 most nights you jackass. I was working when you sent that call out fyi....
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum