Texas Hunting Forum

Big Glass Binos

Posted By: DStroud

Big Glass Binos - 10/17/21 05:48 PM

Looking at a pair of 15x-18x Binoculars for Tripod glassing. Narrowed to Swaro SLC or the Vortex UHD and I guess the question really is are the Swaro’s worth extra 700.00?
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Big Glass Binos - 10/17/21 10:12 PM

It’s been 4 hours with no response.

I have no experience with either so I’ll say “buy once, cry once “.

I like the idea of a 15X Bino over a spotting scope. I was considering the Tract 15X.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Big Glass Binos - 10/17/21 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by DStroud
... and I guess the question really is are the Swaro’s worth extra 700.00?

Yes.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Big Glass Binos - 10/17/21 11:21 PM

The Meopta Meostar HD's are on par with the Swaro's. That's the direction I'd go personally. The UHD's are very nice, but I don't think they're in the same league with either of the other two.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Big Glass Binos - 10/17/21 11:23 PM

Looking at a pair of 15x-18x Binoculars for Tripod glassing. Narrowed to Swaro SLC or the Vortex UHD and I guess the question really is are the Swaro’s worth extra 700.00?

Pass the Vortex and look at Maven B5. It’s much closer, until swaro comes out with High mag/big object NL pures

https://mavenbuilt.com/collections/binoculars/products/b-5-10x56-12x56-15x56-18x56

I’d also toss the meopta in there, as an option.

I suspect Swaro updates big glass next. It’s the only antiquated piece left in the line
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Big Glass Binos - 10/17/21 11:59 PM

You're comparing Swaro glass to Vortex glass?

Of course the Swaro is worth the extra $700.

Clarity trumps magnification, always.

Re: Big Glass Binos - 10/18/21 12:11 AM

Reason I am limiting to those is that’s what Cabelas has and I have a bunch of points burning a hole in my pocket.

Would normally look at Maven except for above and thinking ahead the Swaro resale would be much better for sure.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Big Glass Binos - 10/18/21 12:30 AM

Reason I am limiting to those is that’s what Cabelas has and I have a bunch of points burning a hole in my pocket.

Would normally look at Maven except for above and thinking ahead the Swaro resale would be much better for sure.

Yes in that case swaro. Resale alone trumps the vortex price difference
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Big Glass Binos - 10/18/21 03:52 AM

Also you'll make that $700 up when you sell them down the road. Swaro will hold value much better than Vortex IMHO
Posted By: Crews

Re: Big Glass Binos - 10/19/21 11:38 AM

Swaro is the obvious choice, shame you can’t consider the Meopta. 15x56 is a real sweet spot for most field observation, when you couple alpha glass performance with massive FOV and depth of field, it trumps spotting scope magnification in most all practical circumstances. Plus no eye strain. As long as you are stationary and have a good way to set up with zero movement. They’re amazing on a tripod. From a box blind, I’d suggest having something like a Wiebad Fortune Cookie (Texas company) to provide a very stable rest. You probably already know this, but it won’t work very well if you’re planning to use them like normal binoculars free hand.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Big Glass Binos - 10/19/21 01:59 PM

Maven has some new big binos out, take a look at them. Made in Wyoming.

C4 15x56 and 18x56

B5 might be more what you need though, better glass.

Re: Big Glass Binos - 10/21/21 02:03 PM

I have the Maven 11x45’s and they are very good I agree.
Just looking for a little more power to run on a RRS tripod.
I have a pair of the 15x56’s lined up plan to get them tomorrow hopefully
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum