Texas Hunting Forum

Help me choose....

Posted By: jrfan

Help me choose.... - 09/15/21 03:22 PM

I will be the first to admit that I am optic ignorant. Seems like modern scopes have outgrown my technical skills and have way more features than I need or understand. I currently have a 6.5 Grendel on an AR platform that I am having accuracy issues with. I had a Sightmark Wraith on it as a dedicated NV rifle. I am not a night owl and don't see myself staying out all night chasing pigs or coyotes, so I couldn't justify a true thermal scope. I just wanted something for the occasional scenario. I want to put some "good" budget minded glass on the Grendel so I can try and see if I can get it to shoot decent. I couple of thoughts that I had....

1) I can buy a scope for the Grendel. If I go this route, I am not looking for an extremely high end, 1000 yard scope. This is currently mainly a pig/coyote gun, but I want to be able to use it for other things should the need arise. If I can get this dialed in, I may let my nephews use it for a deer rifle. I am thinking no less than 3-9X range. I would probably prefer a little more magnification, at least on the top end. I like the idea of illuminated reticle on this, but not a deal breaker either way.

2) I also have a .450 bushmaster that I use for pigs as well. It currently has a Primary Arms 4-14x44 illuminated scope. It is MOA, which as I mentioned before, is not something I truly understand. I could move this over to the Grendel and replace this with something else. This is by far a long range shooter, 100 yards max. I like the idea of a big eye relief for pigs and follow up shots. I also like the idea of a QD mount so I can swap between the Wraith and traditional scope. Not sure how zero would hold. I don't want to re-zero every time I swap.

I own several Vortex and Leupold on my traditional rifles. No real issues with either, but they're all older scopes without any bells and whistles. I recently mounted a Burris Fullfield for my father in law and it seemed to be good clear glass. I guess my question is, given this info and your expertise in modern glass, what scope would you buy?
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Help me choose.... - 09/15/21 03:37 PM

First of all, I always believe listing a budget (even a very loose/prelim one) will help you get the best suggestions for your needs.

Now much more useless comments...
based on the scopes I have and are very familiar with, having something with a 3-15x power range is really nice. Great power range on both the low 3x (for quick shots) and high 15x (for longer shots). A bit heavy, but I'm thinking about my swfa 3-15x44. I have mine on qd mounts and have moved this thing to different rifles before.
Either that or A) move the 4-14 to your grendel and get something like a variable lower (1-4x or 1-6x) for your 450 bushmaster.

Re: Help me choose.... - 09/15/21 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Korean Redneck
First of all, I always believe listing a budget (even a very loose/prelim one) will help you get the best suggestions for your needs.

Now much more useless comments...
based on the scopes I have and are very familiar with, having something with a 3-15x power range is really nice. Great power range on both the low 3x (for quick shots) and high 15x (for longer shots). A bit heavy, but I'm thinking about my swfa 3-15x44. I have mine on qd mounts and have moved this thing to different rifles before.
Either that or A) move the 4-14 to your grendel and get something like a variable lower (1-4x or 1-6x) for your 450 bushmaster.

Fair enough, lets say $300 for scope only.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Help me choose.... - 09/15/21 04:14 PM

Get you a 1-4X for the .450 Bushmaster.

Move the 4-14X to the Grendel. I can help make the MOA/MOA scope make sense. You're welcome to PM me, and I'll give you my phone number and we can talk about it.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Help me choose.... - 09/15/21 04:57 PM

For that budget, I'd buy a Burris that best suited your needs. See if you can find their Signature HD line in a configuration you want.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Help me choose.... - 09/15/21 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG

Move the 4-14X to the Grendel. I can help make the MOA/MOA scope make sense. You're welcome to PM me, and I'll give you my phone number and we can talk about it.

I would do this. 4-14X is better suited to the Grendel.

Re: Help me choose.... - 09/15/21 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG

Thank you sir. I’ll be in touch!

I appreciate the info everyone . So this brings up another possibility. I have a 1-6x vortex on my 5.56 AR. Maybe I’ll move it to the .450 and find something else for that???
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum