Texas Hunting Forum

How do you carry your monocular?

Posted By: red stick

How do you carry your monocular? - 08/15/21 04:20 PM

My current monocular(quantum xd38a) has as neck strap which make it very convenient to use just like a pair of binoculars. I'm thinking about upgrading to the Helion line but it seems they only have the hand strap. I scan a lot so this means I have to pull it out of a pocket every time I use it. Thought maybe a holster of some type. So maybe I'm just getting old and like to bitch about everything(I thought Pulsar should have kept the remote) but I'm gonna miss a neck strap.
Posted By: Outdoor Legacy

Re: How do you carry your monocular? - 08/15/21 07:03 PM

I think you're just getting old..... roflmao I'm joking!

I don't normally use lanyards but if you want, you can still do that with a Helion via two easy options. First is connecting your lanyard to the hand strap or to the hand strap clip that's permanently attached to the Helion. Second is the Helion has a tripod jack in the bottom of it and some guys will buy a little D-ring that has a male tripod bolt on the back side and you screw it into the Helion and have a quick easy D-ring to connect to. Either way is super simple, you just need to find a lanyard you like.

One more tip, if you want a nice neoprene padded neck strap, look for a saxaphone strap. They are affordale, light weight, comfortable and they usually come with a quick clip on it so you could easily snap it off and onto your D-ring or hand strap on the Helion.

I hope that helps.

Jason

Re: How do you carry your monocular? - 08/15/21 07:16 PM

Thanks Jason, that's good to know. I'll call you when I decide which Helion and then will look for the that D-ring.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: How do you carry your monocular? - 08/15/21 08:17 PM

This is what I use...

https://smile.amazon.com/outstanding-Camera-Holder-Rubber-Release/dp/B082F441KJ/ref=sr_1_10?crid=5VC4RG7U8R8M&dchild=1&keywords=lanyard+d+ring+camera&qid=1629058531&sprefix=lan%2Caps%2C208&sr=8-10

Do NOT get the 2 piece rings. They will come apart eventually.
Posted By: freerange

Re: How do you carry your monocular? - 08/18/21 11:48 PM

I preface a lot of my posts in Firearms and Optics by saying im ignorant of many things.... So, what would a monocular be used for that a binocular couldnt?

Re: How do you carry your monocular? - 08/19/21 12:32 AM

It's a thermal monocular. Now I would love to have some thermal binoculars but they are a little pricey.
Posted By: freerange

Re: How do you carry your monocular? - 08/19/21 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by red stick
It's a thermal monocular. Now I would love to have some thermal binoculars but they are a little pricey.

Thanks, now I know. For me, night time is for sleeping, so I dont know about that stuff. Speaking of which, its 8pm, time to grab a good book and hit the hay.

Re: How do you carry your monocular? - 08/19/21 01:44 AM

Off hand, I can't think of anyone who makes thermal binoculars. A couple places make thermal bi-oculars, but not binoculars. You don't get stereo vision with a bi-ocular.

Re: How do you carry your monocular? - 08/19/21 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy

Off hand, I can't think of anyone who makes thermal binoculars. A couple places make thermal bi-oculars, but not binoculars. You don't get stereo vision with a bi-ocular.

I stand corrected. I'm 73 with sometimers so cut me some slack. lol Besides they kinda look like binoculars.
Posted By: Outdoor Legacy

Re: How do you carry your monocular? - 08/19/21 02:59 AM

They are commonly referred to as binoculars and they function as such but they do actually only have one objective lens and two eyepieces. Pulsar makes the Accolade 2 XP50 LRF PRO's for $5,900 and N-Vision has 2 models for $5,800 and $5,900. The Accolades are actually a better deal because I believe they offer a better image quality, they include video recording, a 8-10 hour removable battery, auto calibration/NUC and a laser range finder. Not cheap....but they are nice!

Jason

Re: How do you carry your monocular? - 08/19/21 02:25 PM

That is just it, Jason, they do not function as binoculars as they do not have binocular vision. They function as a monocular that you see with both eyes. That companies like to misrepresent them is pretty funny.

So with the models you mentioned, you get more weight, expense, and night blinded in both eyes without the benefit of getting binocular vision.

Re: How do you carry your monocular? - 08/19/21 03:25 PM

Funny thing about night blindness. I use to scan with my left eye and use my right eye on the thermal scope. But after about an hour or so of scanning with the left eye I began to get double crosshairs with the right eye. So now I scan and shoot with the right eye. No more double crosshairs.

And Brian, when's the ETA in the hog killing zones of north Texas?
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: How do you carry your monocular? - 08/21/21 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
This is what I use...

https://smile.amazon.com/outstanding-Camera-Holder-Rubber-Release/dp/B082F441KJ/ref=sr_1_10?crid=5VC4RG7U8R8M&dchild=1&keywords=lanyard+d+ring+camera&qid=1629058531&sprefix=lan%2Caps%2C208&sr=8-10

Do NOT get the 2 piece rings. They will come apart eventually.

Just ordered these for my Helion 2. Thanks!
Posted By: Harkriscar

Re: How do you carry your monocular? - 08/23/21 01:11 AM

Great idea. I just ordered this solution. Thanks.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum