Texas Hunting Forum

How Bad

Posted By: wp75169

How Bad - 07/31/21 11:22 PM

Of a NoNo. Still unpacking and I can’t find my plumb bob or even anything to make one.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: maximum

Re: How Bad - 07/31/21 11:39 PM

Go downtown to the RR tracks and grab up a rock and
a piece of twine and cobble one together.
Not heading that way or I'd bring one you could borry
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: How Bad - 08/01/21 12:04 AM

You shooting 500 and in - you look level and good to go
Posted By: J.G.

Re: How Bad - 08/01/21 01:58 PM

Level the reticle, not the turret.

Re: How Bad - 08/01/21 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG

Yeah I know, just nothing to level it against at the moment.

nidea actually, I did unpack my levels last night, I can sit one on the back fence and shim it until it’s level.
Posted By: P_102

Re: How Bad - 08/01/21 02:48 PM

Point the gun at a wall, (muzzle pretty close), and shine a flashlight through the scope, put level on the reticle.

Re: How Bad - 08/01/21 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by wp75169

Yeah I know, just nothing to level it against at the moment.

nidea actually, I did unpack my levels last night, I can sit one on the back fence and shim it until it’s level.

Or drive a nail in the fence, and hang the level or some kind of plum bob.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: How Bad - 08/01/21 03:49 PM

Of a NoNo. Still unpacking and I can’t find my plumb bob or even anything to make one.

[Linked Image]

I use a chalk line box most anyway.

In theory you could use a big level edge as your line
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: How Bad - 08/01/21 04:29 PM

Your iPhone has a level in the compass mode. IDK how accurate it is.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: How Bad - 08/01/21 04:36 PM

Door frame, or the door if it's level and plum.
Posted By: Judd

Re: How Bad - 08/02/21 02:57 AM

I’ve lifted a blind up off the window sill and used the strings in them grin Desperate times call for desperate measures.

I broke down and bought the wheeler scope level it…now I do them in a vice.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: How Bad - 08/02/21 03:20 AM

This thing is foolproof, quick, easy.

https://parabola-llc.com/
Posted By: P_102

Re: How Bad - 08/03/21 01:03 AM

Vertical blinds are good also.
Posted By: TAB

Re: How Bad - 08/03/21 02:43 AM

I use adjustable parallels to set the scope level.. one could also do the same thing with feeler gauges.
I’ve proved both methods using the box tests etc, to insure they were straight up. This method only works with scopes built off the flats of the turret bodies like mark 4’s and nightforce’s and maybe the higher end vortex scopes
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: How Bad - 08/05/21 12:46 PM

Buy one of these, they do what a $3000 level use to cost.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0793LFSP4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1Huepar laser level on Amazon
Posted By: DStroud

Re: How Bad - 08/05/21 01:04 PM

I used a bunch of methods over time. Here is the latest. Won’t work in every situation but most times.

https://store.fixitsticks.com/products/scope-jack
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: How Bad - 08/05/21 01:41 PM

Huh, you're supposed to level your scope ???

learn something new everyday banana2
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: How Bad - 08/08/21 02:31 PM

Chalk line box works really well.

I hung it in front of the white door
Posted By: Judd

Re: How Bad - 08/08/21 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by DStroud
I used a bunch of methods over time. Here is the latest. Won’t work in every situation but most times.

https://store.fixitsticks.com/products/scope-jack

Never seen that before, pretty cool.
Posted By: BigDad

Re: How Bad - 08/09/21 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by HornSlayer
Buy one of these, they do what a $3000 level use to cost.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0793LFSP4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1Huepar laser level on Amazon

I like this idea, going to get one. Like JG said, you need to level the reticle not the turret.

Re: How Bad - 08/09/21 01:01 PM

I wasn’t going to address this but as a group few of you read the damn post and just looked at the picture. I know to level the reticle, I was just not in a position to do so at the time.

Re: How Bad - 08/09/21 01:51 PM

So you were wanting confirmation your half azzed efforts were alright to do. And you didn't get that confirmation, because it isn't the right way to go about the process. Don't get pissed at us for you half azzing something. Do it right, or don't do it at all.

Re: How Bad - 08/09/21 02:39 PM

So you were wanting confirmation your half azzed efforts were alright to do. And you didn't get that confirmation, because it isn't the right way to go about the process. Don't get pissed at us for you half azzing something. Do it right, or don't do it at all.

That almost a fair summary. I knew it was wrong, I just didn’t know how far off it potentially would be, so I ask. So half the people didn’t read the post and assumed I was a dumbass, then told me how to do it correctly. Which was pretty evident I already knew how. Although I did learn some new methods from the more constructive responses.

At no point was I looking for confirmation that it was ok, just how bad.

Re: How Bad - 08/09/21 02:57 PM

Bubble levels are a method of last resort anyway, anywhere IMO.

Re: How Bad - 08/09/21 03:00 PM

That almost a fair summary. I knew it was wrong, I just didn’t know how far off it potentially would be, so I ask. So half the people didn’t read the post and assumed I was a dumbass, then told me how to do it correctly. Which was pretty evident I already knew how. Although I did learn some new methods from the more constructive responses.

At no point was I looking for confirmation that it was ok, just how bad.

Short answer, pretty bad.

Had to re-level quite a few scopes that people placed a level on top of the turret.

Re: How Bad - 08/09/21 03:15 PM

That’s what I was afraid of, the good news is I’ll have time to do it right Thursday.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: How Bad - 08/09/21 05:01 PM

All of my current ones have been leveled using one of the I-beam supports of my carport.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: How Bad - 08/10/21 01:36 PM

My biggest problem with all of this is, yeah, you can level the reticle, but how do you know it's 90 degrees/perfectly perpendicular to the bore? I've leveled one and then shouldered the rifle and found that I cant the rifle just a touch, usually. Or do i? Was the rifle 100% up-down in the vise? Was it off just a hair? I'm never 100% sure when I'm done.

Re: How Bad - 08/10/21 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
My biggest problem with all of this is, yeah, you can level the reticle, but how do you know it's 90 degrees/perfectly perpendicular to the bore? I've leveled one and then shouldered the rifle and found that I cant the rifle just a touch, usually. Or do i? Was the rifle 100% up-down in the vise? Was it off just a hair? I'm never 100% sure when I'm done.

I install a pic rail level.

If no pic rail, I place a small spirit level on the base.

Keep the rifle level, rotate the scope to get the reticle level with it.

Re: How Bad - 08/10/21 05:28 PM

Also if you use a plumb of some sort you can pull the bolt and center the string in the barrel, assuming you have good eyes.

Re: How Bad - 08/10/21 06:26 PM

Here is my answer, as was posted earlier in this thread, and directly addresses your concerns.

Originally Posted by Jgraider
This thing is foolproof, quick, easy.

https://parabola-llc.com/
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: How Bad - 08/10/21 07:32 PM

Good point. Most of my rifles have a pic rail, and I have a pic rail level. I'll check mine next time I get them out. Thanks for the reminder!
Posted By: jsteve

Re: How Bad - 08/28/21 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Huh, you're supposed to level your scope ???

learn something new everyday banana2

Yeah, it will stop all those "etch-a-sketch" adjustments when ya just want to dial up 2 mils, LOL.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum