Texas Hunting Forum

Are the Vortex Scopes and spotters......

Posted By: Buzzsaw

Are the Vortex Scopes and spotters...... - 07/27/21 05:56 PM

getting better? I dont keep up with all their models but there are a few which have peaked a interest. .

Anyone RECENTLY bought a newer model scope or spotter? The higher priced line. Not looking for a cheap or midrange.

Athalon are interesting but I'm the last MOA/MOA second Focal Plane guy (I love dialing a bunch).

Anything I should look at besides Nightforce for a couple grand?

My choices so far for a longrange/F-Class style rifle

1. Nightforce Competition 15-55X
2. Nightforce NX8 4-32X
3. Nightforce NXS 8-32X
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Are the Vortex Scopes and spotters...... - 07/27/21 06:08 PM

You've asked about the NF NX8 several times on these boards. I thought you own/owned one?
Posted By: Judd

Re: Are the Vortex Scopes and spotters...... - 07/27/21 06:09 PM

Vortex GoldenEagle 15-60x (get the ECR reticle, it'll be easier for you to sell it when your done with this experiment)...I've got 5 of these, all have been good and I like it better than the 15-55x NF...because of the reticle.

Their Razor spotters would be fine for you...only folks I know who have had issues with this scope are fellas that could tear up an anvil with a rubber mallet.

Not what you're asking but the Razor LHT, I think is one of the best hunting scopes on that market.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Are the Vortex Scopes and spotters...... - 07/27/21 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Judd
Their Razor spotters would be fine for you...only folks I know who have had issues with this scope are fellas that could tear up an anvil with a rubber mallet.

nidea Somehow I think this is directed at me.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Are the Vortex Scopes and spotters...... - 07/27/21 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG

I had to send my back after it fell.. a few feet.

Re: Are the Vortex Scopes and spotters...... - 07/27/21 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Bought mine from Judd. It got dust in it. I sent it back. Then it got water in it. Still need to send it back again.

Properly sealing optics is nothing new, and they can't even get that right.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Are the Vortex Scopes and spotters...... - 07/27/21 07:14 PM

Not much knowledge on Vortex but I recently bought a Mk 5 5-25x56. That is a lot of scope for me. I believe they have a 7-35 as well. I’ll let you check it out on the 14th if you make it. roflmao
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Are the Vortex Scopes and spotters...... - 07/27/21 07:48 PM

Bought mine from Judd. It got dust in it. I sent it back. Then it got water in it. Still need to send it back again.

Maybe they don't like you. Mine came back perfect, been good ever sense.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Are the Vortex Scopes and spotters...... - 07/27/21 08:22 PM

No problems from my Razor spotting scope or my Gen 2 Rayzor riflescope. With other Vortex scopes I have definitely had issues.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Are the Vortex Scopes and spotters...... - 07/27/21 09:53 PM

First off....I killed 2 birds with one post, it wasn't used exclusively for you two but y'all definitely came to mind roflmao

Secondly, Buzz...I didn't know JG still had that scope. You need to buy it from him and send it back, get the water/dust out of it and you'll have a great scope for less than a new one. Oh and he's got the MIL and 20-60x eye pieces. This would be a perfect scope for you and JG upgraded and won't use this scope again.

FWIW - if you can find a used NF TS-82...that's a damn good spotter too...it's what I replaced the scope JG has with. FYI - Euro has one used for 21 hundred and some change.
Posted By: Blanco

Re: Are the Vortex Scopes and spotters...... - 07/28/21 12:27 AM

I have a bunch of Athalon scopes and all function just fine. The Ares line has some nice models and the Cronos has some of the best glass in it's price range.
I have a couple of Vortex scopes and they are not bad ...BUT I think you have to move up the price range significantly to get the better glass.

I also have a lower line Athalon spotter Its not the best but I had a look thru a really expensive Kowa spotter and the image was really not any better than my $250 Athalon

An old Hot Rodders adage applies in this case
" Speed Costs .. How Fast you wanna go ? "
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Are the Vortex Scopes and spotters...... - 07/28/21 01:43 AM

There is nothing wrong with using Vortex stuff. There’s better stuff out there if you spend the money, but that could be said about literally everything.

A lot of the guys on the forum use or have used some of the very best stuff, Vortex probably does not fall into that category, lol. But you could do a lot worse!
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Are the Vortex Scopes and spotters...... - 07/28/21 01:50 AM

Scopewise, maybe look at Trijicon Ten Mile. They have a model in MOA SFP.

Re: Are the Vortex Scopes and spotters...... - 07/28/21 01:54 AM

That NF TS 82 is excellent, as it's made by Meopta. It's the same thing as the S2 with different armoring.

Re: Are the Vortex Scopes and spotters...... - 07/28/21 02:04 AM

^^No way could he know anything.

That is unless Hodnette or Tubb told him so.

After all they are experts, and he is just an internet nobody.

Re: Are the Vortex Scopes and spotters...... - 07/28/21 02:15 AM

Good try FJG. I've been in Meopta's G&O program for 6 yrs now.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Are the Vortex Scopes and spotters...... - 07/28/21 12:51 PM

Anything I should look at besides Nightforce for a couple grand?
I've looked through a Swarovski spotter (not sure what model) and it was really nice. It will cost you that much. I just got a Hawke Endurance ED 25-75x85. Fossil Pointe has some and so I had first hand experience before buying. You are welcome to try it out. Of course, if you are dead set on spending $2k, don't bother.
Posted By: gr8fuldoug

Re: Are the Vortex Scopes and spotters...... - 07/28/21 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jgraider
That NF TS 82 is excellent, as it's made by Meopta. It's the same thing as the S2 with different armoring.

It is a Meopro, not the S2 Meostar
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Are the Vortex Scopes and spotters...... - 07/28/21 06:09 PM

Look into the Maven spotters.

Re: Are the Vortex Scopes and spotters...... - 07/28/21 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Originally Posted by Jgraider

It is a Meopro, not the S2 Meostar

I'm fairly certain the much less expensive TS80 is the Meopro clone, and the NF TS82 Exreme HD is the S2 clone. It's reflected in the specs and $$$ for each I believe.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Are the Vortex Scopes and spotters...... - 07/28/21 06:32 PM

I shopped this market hard in the last month and agree with Jgraider. The NF TS 82 is the meostar.

But I only know paper making so there’s that.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum