Texas Hunting Forum

Spotting Scope +/- $1000

Posted By: wp75169

Spotting Scope +/- $1000 - 07/08/21 02:51 PM

Like the title says, I’m not looking to break the bank but I would like a decent spotter that would be good on paper out to 500 and steel on out there.

I’ve always been of the mindset that clarity trumps magnification on scopes. Does the hold true on spotters as well?

Would I be better off with a higher quality 30-35 maximum magnification than a lower quality with much more magnification.

I’ve got a really cheap 20-60 and it’s pretty much crap so I know about that end of the spectrum.

My intention is to start shooting a lot more so this is money I’m finally ready to spend.

If the consensus is that you HAVE to spend more to get what you want then I will.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Spotting Scope +/- $1000 - 07/08/21 03:25 PM

Im sure others know more than me but Ill give a little 2 cents. Ive had a Leupold for a long time. Not even sure what it is but its not HD and I guess its a gold ring and I think I paid 1100. Im not even sure how high it goes(45 I think) but anything over 20 or 30 its just not useful for me. Maybe its my old eyes or a combination of shake and mirage. I think the higher magnification is hard to use on even the higher end stuff(not sure.)
Also, you can consider a super zoom camera(Nikon P1000 or the next one down) for $1000 or less and they magnify up to 125 times and its clearer than a spotter and you can take pics of the target. All my experience is on game and not targets, but I have used the camera on targets.

Re: Spotting Scope +/- $1000 - 07/12/21 01:57 AM

https://cameralandny.com/shop/meopt...0132-5bc3-00163e9110c0?variation=1116342

Talk to me about this one.

I really like the 82 better but I don’t see paying almost twice the price.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Spotting Scope +/- $1000 - 07/12/21 04:15 AM

Leupold 12-40X60. The US military sniper spotter version is called the M151. I have the 12-40X60 and it is perfection in a spotting scope for my use in both target shooting and hunting. Very compact too.
Posted By: Blank

Re: Spotting Scope +/- $1000 - 07/12/21 07:24 PM

X2 for the Leupold 12-40x60. I have packed mine around the US and world several times over, and have always found it to excel at what I was doing with it. Get the padded cover!!
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Spotting Scope +/- $1000 - 07/13/21 06:00 PM

I agree on the Leupold also.
We have one, non HD and a Swaro. The Leupold goes in the pack for in field use more than the Swaro.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Spotting Scope +/- $1000 - 07/13/21 07:15 PM

If you're primarily wanting it for range use, there's no substitute for an 80mm+ objective....no contest unless you're comparing high $$$ 65's with budget $$$ 80's. I'd look at the Tract. There's really no cheap, high class glass as far as spotters go IME.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Spotting Scope +/- $1000 - 07/13/21 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Wytex
I agree on the Leupold also.
We have one, non HD and a Swaro. The Leupold goes in the pack for in field use more than the Swaro.

Wytex, why leave the Swaro? Is it bulkier?
I think my Leupold is the 12-40x60 that keeps getting mentioned, non HD. I too like the padded case. When it came with the case I thought I wouldnt use it cause I wouldnt want to take it off and on. Ive never had it off. It fits like a glove and you hardly know its there. I just have a way to tie back the cover over the lens(bypass the noisy velcro.)
Also, Ive heard that jgraider is an expert on optics, so consider paying attention to his comments.

Re: Spotting Scope +/- $1000 - 07/13/21 09:08 PM

Best two things about that Leupold are that it is packable and compact, and has a huge eye relief. Other than that, the glass is easily outclassed by some others.

That's very nice freerange, but I'm no expert, just an optics junky and ex-guide who has seen loads of different spotters over the years. Please keep in mine it is just my opinion, but it is from actual use.
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Spotting Scope +/- $1000 - 07/14/21 01:52 AM

Chris
This is what I upgraded to and have been very pleased with it. Paid $1200.00 at Cameraland but I think their getting cheaper, shop around. Make sure you get a good tripod also makes a lot of difference. From my research before purchase this one was a lot of BANG for your buck.
[Linked Image]

Re: Spotting Scope +/- $1000 - 07/14/21 02:26 AM

That NF spotter is a Meopta made spotter with NF clothing. I believe it's the Meopro spotter.

Re: Spotting Scope +/- $1000 - 07/14/21 03:22 AM

Thanks for the heads up on the NF. That’s a solid $300 cheaper than the same spotter with the Meopta name.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Spotting Scope +/- $1000 - 07/14/21 11:20 AM

Glad I found this thread. Where is the cheapest place to get this NF? May need a bit more magnification on our new land.

Re: Spotting Scope +/- $1000 - 07/14/21 11:54 AM

Make sure you get the cover/skin if ordering and a good tripod makes all the difference.

Re: Spotting Scope +/- $1000 - 07/14/21 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by wp75169
Thanks for the heads up on the NF. That’s a solid $300 cheaper than the same spotter with the Meopta name.

At the 500 yard steel matches you'll be able to see everything very well.

Re: Spotting Scope +/- $1000 - 07/14/21 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by angus1956
Chris
This is what I upgraded to and have been very pleased with it. Paid $1200.00 at Cameraland but I think their getting cheaper, shop around. Make sure you get a good tripod also makes a lot of difference. From my research before purchase this one was a lot of BANG for your buck.
[Linked Image]

Well John I bought it, then when they went to pull it from inventory it wasn’t there. No more available from the distributor either and they’re discontinued. Back to square one.

Re: Spotting Scope +/- $1000 - 07/14/21 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by angus1956
Chris
[Linked Image]

Well John I bought it, then when they went to pull it from inventory it wasn’t there. No more available from the distributor either and they’re discontinued. Back to square one.

Son of a gun that sucks!
Surf the interweb gotta be one somewhere.
Posted By: Crews

Re: Spotting Scope +/- $1000 - 07/14/21 10:24 PM

I got into an older Zeiss Diascope 85mm for a hair over a grand. Don’t be afraid to go for an older model if it’s top tier glass. I needed big for digiscoping. However, a pair of 15x56 binos is a MUCH better tool for all around field observation. A real joy to use and no eye strain. You will be surprised how few limits there are.

Those that have mentioned a good tripod are giving good advice. With a shaky foundation spotting can be a downright miserable experience.

Re: Spotting Scope +/- $1000 - 07/15/21 06:54 PM

Like the title says, I’m not looking to break the bank but I would like a decent spotter that would be good on paper out to 500 and steel on out there.

I’ve always been of the mindset that clarity trumps magnification on scopes. Does the hold true on spotters as well?

Would I be better off with a higher quality 30-35 maximum magnification than a lower quality with much more magnification.

I’ve got a really cheap 20-60 and it’s pretty much crap so I know about that end of the spectrum.

My intention is to start shooting a lot more so this is money I’m finally ready to spend.

If the consensus is that you HAVE to spend more to get what you want then I will.

Chris,
Just sent you a PM. My buddy in Idaho found the Nightforce Spotting Scope. Details are in PM.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum