Texas Hunting Forum

Someone in the US market needs to get a thermal scope like this produced and sold State side

Posted By: Pig_Popper

Someone in the US market needs to get a thermal scope like this produced and sold State side - 05/25/21 02:59 PM

A capable unit for the long range Hunter / Shooter

These would be very popular in the US for around $ 4.5k

https://www.blackwoodoutdoors.co.uk/raptor-thermal-rifle-scope-640-12-micron

Posted By: TX_LT230FH

Re: Someone in the US market needs to get a thermal scope like this produced and sold State side - 05/25/21 03:06 PM

Specification Details

Detector : 640x480 12 Micron Vanadium Oxide Sensor (VOX)
Lens : 75mm F1.2
FOV: 5.8 deg x 4.6 deg
Battery Life : 6hrs (18650 Battery Cell)
Weight : 890gr
Dimension : 210 x83 x86
IP: IP67
Working Temperature : -40deg to 55deg

Hope that temp is in Celsius. That would make it good up to 131 degrees fahrenheit - about what it gets up in North Texas in August.....
Posted By: Outdoor Legacy

Re: Someone in the US market needs to get a thermal scope like this produced and sold State side - 05/25/21 08:07 PM

I'm friends with Ian (the UK dealer from the link above) and he says it's a nice scope with no bells and whistles but great image quality. It's very difficult record from and very similar (as you'd expect) to image of the iRay Rico 640 but with a full 1x power more in magnification. He says for a long range shooter looking for nothing but image quality it's a great option.

Price converts over to about $6,900+ US dollars

Jason

Re: Someone in the US market needs to get a thermal scope like this produced and sold State side - 05/25/21 09:30 PM

We need it in the states for 4,500.

Without the conversion (exchange rate).

Am I wrong to think that the cost in quid or British pounds sterling of 4,800 on their site is the Uk buyers true cost ?

So a manufacturer in the US can hook us up …..

Re: Someone in the US market needs to get a thermal scope like this produced and sold State side - 05/25/21 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Pig_Popper

Am I wrong to think that the cost in quid or British pounds sterling of 4,800 on their site is the Uk buyers true cost ?

You don't want me doing math and exchange rates. That's a step above my pay grade. grin

Re: Someone in the US market needs to get a thermal scope like this produced and sold State side - 05/25/21 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy

You don't want me doing math and exchange rates. That's a step above my pay grade. grin

I suppose what I’m saying is this:

Let’s look at it in reverse

Say we have a particular scope made in the US , I know I know - what does that even mean these days ….

That scope is priced at 4K USD

We Americans value to US dollar at a 1-to-1 “home field” monetary value.

So say you got a Mexican down South (In Mexico) who is on the Internet and they view the US website and say Man I wish I could own that technology here in Mexico and pay pesos at a 1-to-1 rate , screw the Gringos and their exchange rate .

Which by the way in pesos the 4K us scope would be - 79k pesos.

THE SOLUTION FOR THE MEXICAN, would be to find a Mexican company to build the scope in Mexico for 4.5k in their pesos value.

So that’s the way I’m viewing this topic , we need an American company to source the tech and build us a 640 res 12 micron , 75mm scope for 4,500 USD.

No WiFi, No app, No onboard recording, no color palettes, just the basics please.

Now granted , nobody can build a scope for 4.5k pesos so the dollar value and the home field countries pay rates and economies have to be on the same plane as each other for this to work.

I don’t feel like we are that far behind the UK in GDP or that far ahead of MEX but I’m sure the national debt is holding us back from realizing this fantasy I’m having.

Damn it we need an Economist to sort this out now ….

Where is HansETX when you need him wink

Re: Someone in the US market needs to get a thermal scope like this produced and sold State side - 05/26/21 01:50 AM

Where is HansETX when you need him wink

Oh good grief, he'd have his boots off counting on his toes and look like a monkey doing a math problem! roflmao

Re: Someone in the US market needs to get a thermal scope like this produced and sold State side - 05/27/21 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy
I'm friends with Ian (the UK dealer from the link above) and he says it's a nice scope with no bells and whistles but great image quality. It's very difficult record from and very similar (as you'd expect) to image of the iRay Rico 640 but with a full 1x power more in magnification. He says for a long range shooter looking for nothing but image quality it's a great option.

Price converts over to about $6,900+ US dollars

Jason

I just realized I left a sentence out of that post. When I said it's a similar image to the iRay Rico 640, what I thought I'd said before that is, the core is a iRay 640. So logically, you'd expect it to look like the Rico 640 with more magnification. Sorry for any confusion there.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum