Texas Hunting Forum

Scope rings TWO

Posted By: Dave Scott

Scope rings TWO - 03/31/21 02:44 PM

Didn't want to steal the thread. I've had issues with rings that don't grip the scope tightly enough- the scope moves. I've not hear of others with this problem. I've thought about epoxy gluing the top rings to the scope. You could still remove the scope. That got me to thinking- why aren't the top rings integral? No worry about the cross hairs even, etc.
Posted By: George S

Re: Scope rings TWO - 03/31/21 06:36 PM

Use friction tape or liquid rubber, not epoxy.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Scope rings TWO - 03/31/21 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Scott
Didn't want to steal the thread. I've had issues with rings that don't grip the scope tightly enough- the scope moves. I've not hear of others with this problem. I've thought about epoxy gluing the top rings to the scope. You could still remove the scope. That got me to thinking- why aren't the top rings integral? No worry about the cross hairs even, etc.

Integral rings would be cool but expensive for scope manufacturers. It would change their entire process. Plus they would have to manufacture at least 3 different heights per scope and they would have to go on picatinny rails. Nothing else is standardized.
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Scope rings TWO - 03/31/21 07:45 PM

if you happen to be in the Houston area, then I would love to let you borrow a lapping kit for the scope rings. However, it has been my experience owning this kit is that rings that need lapping really aren't worth keeping.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Scope rings TWO - 03/31/21 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Korean Redneck
However, it has been my experience owning this kit is that rings that need lapping really aren't worth keeping.

I think that's actually pretty false. I understand why it was said originally, but if you send a motor to a machine shop to be blueprinted, one of the things they do is align-bore the cylinders. Even on a $25k race engine. Would you think that motor isn't worth having if the bores weren't perfectly aligned originally? Also, if you lap them and it shows areas where you're taking off material, the misalignment isn't necessarily the rings - it can also the base/rail or the top of the action that's causing your issue.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Scope rings TWO - 03/31/21 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
However, it has been my experience owning this kit is that rings that need lapping really aren't worth keeping.

I think that's actually pretty false. I understand why it was said originally, but if you send a motor to a machine shop to be blueprinted, one of the things they do is align-bore the cylinders. Even on a $25k race engine. Would you think that motor isn't worth having if the bores weren't perfectly aligned originally? Also, if you lap them and it shows areas where you're taking off material, the misalignment isn't necessarily the rings - it can also the base/rail or the top of the action that's causing your issue.

The last part, not being the fault of the rings, very true. The rings would be the least cause to throw you out on axis parallelism. I really like how my Tikka T3x and Warne rings mounted directly to the slot on the receiver with a lug on the front sets up. Fewer pieces, less stack up of tolerances. I've never had anything that I felt needed lapping.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Scope rings TWO - 04/01/21 01:59 AM

I have never lapped rings.

The only time I've had a scope slip in the rings was with Burris Zee rings with the poly inserts.

Badger Ordnance, Talley Tactical, and Night Force Ultalites have all worked flawlessly.

Also, if the ring caps were integral, eye relief would not be very adjustable. Even on a pic rail, the adjustments would be very coarse.

Re: Scope rings TWO - 04/01/21 01:43 PM

QSYB, fair enough and I do get your point. That is the reason why I lapped every set of rings once I got the kit. It's not to say that lapping itself isn't useful, but it's more of a small correlation I noticed. I tried lapping my first set of Badger Rings and stopped immediately. It felt so smooth that I thought I would do more damage than good. Just didn't have a binding feeling my previous cheaper rings had. I still keep the kit, primarily because it holds the torque wrench, haha jk.
I've upgraded scope rings on many rifles over the years and find myself preferring to spend a little more on rings so I haven't felt the need to bust out my lapping kit, ie the scope + ring combo works well enough I don't question it functioning. Not as popular but I think Warne rings are very high quality too.

I did lap a friend's savage axis 308 rifle + scope combo. That one did feel like it needed some lapping.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Scope rings TWO - 04/01/21 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG
I have never lapped rings.

The only time I've had a scope slip in the rings was with Burris Zee rings with the poly inserts.

Badger Ordnance, Talley Tactical, and Night Force Ultalites have all worked flawlessly.

Also, if the ring caps were integral, eye relief would not be very adjustable. Even on a pic rail, the adjustments would be very coarse.

Funny. I have never lapped rings either. The only scope that i have ever had slip are Burris rings with the poly inserts. I just made it tighter and that solved the issue.
Posted By: clarke11

Re: Scope rings TWO - 04/01/21 02:48 PM

I use Liquid rubber whenever i have this kind of issue
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: Scope rings TWO - 04/02/21 06:58 PM

Someone told me to use bedding compound and wax the rings.-easier than lapping

Re: Scope rings TWO - 04/02/21 10:22 PM

Buy good rings and you won't have to.
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: Scope rings TWO - 04/03/21 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Buy good rings and you won't have to.

This
Posted By: TAB

Re: Scope rings TWO - 04/04/21 07:20 PM

Never lapped rings myself, I almost exclusively use nightforce rings, but I do have some Warne, EGW, and Harrel’s precision.

Re: Scope rings TWO - 04/05/21 01:06 PM

First, of all I still agree with others that rings needing that much work may not be worth it. However, the bedding I would definitely NOT do. Again, i have a lapping kit so I would start with it. I don't know what the wax would be for. Isn't wax suppose to make things slippery?

Re: Scope rings TWO - 04/05/21 01:37 PM

First, of all I still agree with others that rings needing that much work may not be worth it. However, the bedding I would definitely NOT do. Again, i have a lapping kit so I would start with it. I don't know what the wax would be for. Isn't wax suppose to make things slippery?

Wax is applied to the scope, so that the scope releases from the bedding compound. Same thing happens when bedding an action in a stock. Wax is applied to the action so that it will come back out in 24 hours.

Any scope that has enough slop in it to accept bedding compound, I want no part of.

Re: Scope rings TWO - 04/05/21 02:25 PM

I thought he meant either bedding OR wax. Gotcha. But does that mean the suggestion is to make the bedding attach to the scope body? That sounds even more absurd.

Re: Scope rings TWO - 04/05/21 02:51 PM

I take it as meaning to fill in any imperfections on the inside of the rings.

If that's correct, it does seem absurd.
Posted By: Blanco

Re: Scope rings TWO - 04/09/21 02:43 AM

A friend turned me on to the DNZ one piece mounts a few years back. Most of what they make ore one piece mounts (Game Reaper)
the mount and rings are cut frome a single billet of aluminum. There may be some situations that other products work better. I like the Aero ultra light on AR platform.
If you try the DNZ mounts you will understand how much better they are.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum