Texas Hunting Forum

red dot advice/suggestions

Posted By: Son of a Blitch

red dot advice/suggestions - 03/13/21 04:56 AM

I'm looking for a red dot for an AR and wanted to get your thoughts on some options.

I recently saw a Sig Romeo MSR with a combo Juliet 3 micro side flip (non QD) for around $300 new. I've heard some decent feedback on the Romeo, but have zero experience with the Juliet 3.

I like the option of a red dot and magnifier, and having co-witness ability with the flip up magpuls....but open to other set ups.

I'm thinking of staying under a $400 budget for the set up (already have the flip ups).

I am open to other ideas of 1-4 or 1-6 illuminated scopes as well.

Let me know what y'all have used and suggest. And if anyone has anything for sale, shoot me a PM.

Thanks
Posted By: SR025

Re: red dot advice/suggestions - 03/13/21 07:56 AM

Aimpoint pro
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: red dot advice/suggestions - 03/13/21 11:01 AM

I have a 1-8 now and prefer that over a red dot just because it is a red dot and magnified scope at the same time. I had an aimpoint micro on my first AR and I loved it. Most of my hunting is in the woods so shots under 80 yards are common so the red dot was just fine for that. The 3X magnifier just wasnt enough magnification when going to the range and shooting at 100 nor did it help much while hunting. that is when I switched to a 1-8. But I would be OK with a no magnification red dot for many purposes on my AR. Just not for shooting 100 yards at the range which I like to do.

Strike eagle is a cheap version of the 1-8 or 1-10. Just keep looking for deals on midway usa or somewhere like that.

That being said I just purchased a red dot from Midway for $70. It is a crimson trace and it is going on my 10/22. Just got it today so no feedback yet.

Posted By: snake oil

Re: red dot advice/suggestions - 03/13/21 01:54 PM

I have two Sig Romeo 5's and they work fine.
Posted By: Sandhillshunter

Re: red dot advice/suggestions - 03/20/21 11:44 PM

I have the Burris RT-6, which is in your price range. For a cheaper scope, feel it's hard to beat for the price point and would recommend it. The other I have, is a Steiner P4xi and is great, but clearly a lot more money.

With dot sights, I have Holosun, Sig, C-More, Trijicon and Aimpoint. Holosun has slowly been winning me over and currently I have 3 of their 510c on match guns. With that, I have had no problems with my Romeo 5 and do think it has a little better battery life then the MSR. I also prefer the CR2032 battery, but that is because so many of my electronic optics use that battery. The Romeo 5 has MOTAC which I like and have had no issues with. I do not believe the MSR has the MOTAC, but I could be wrong.
Posted By: duckhunter175

Re: red dot advice/suggestions - 03/22/21 05:48 PM

Sig Romeo 5 is a great option and probably the best 'value'. Haven't had a holosun yet but I keep hearing great things and I want the 'donut of death' for a carbine.

The best 1-6 in that price range is the Primary Arms 1-6 ACSS Predator Gen III.

Flip up magnifiers are more pain than they are worth and the quality in that price range won't please you.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: red dot advice/suggestions - 03/22/21 06:54 PM

Never used a magnifier behind a red dot, thought about it earlier this year but it’s not needed for my hunting, mostly inside 200 yards. I run an AimPoint PRO on my patrol rifle and it’s been flawless for 7 years.
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: red dot advice/suggestions - 03/22/21 07:08 PM

Another vote for Aimpoint PRO.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum