Texas Hunting Forum

VX-5HD vs SHV

Posted By: AP2714

VX-5HD vs SHV - 01/20/21 03:41 PM

I just got a new leupold vx-5hd 3-15×44 for my t3x varmint .223 and very satisfied with it. Im debating another one for a t3x 6.5cm or maybe a nightforce shv. Anyone have experience with both? Glass similar? I like the light weight of leupold, but drawn to a shv for some reason..lol My uses consist of 75% hunting and 25% fun/target shooting. Also, finding the nightforce at a good price is a concern, but very interested in the SHV 5-20×56. Thanks for any insight.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: VX-5HD vs SHV - 01/20/21 07:16 PM

For me with your 75/25 balance the Leupold is the clear choice for its excellent glass. If your balance was just the opposite I’d suggest the NF for its exceptional dialing capabilities.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: VX-5HD vs SHV - 01/20/21 08:01 PM

The SHVs I've used have all done a fine job, and the glass is quite good.

Have seen a handful of Leupolds fail to track and return to zero. I'm not bashing Leupold, at all. Tracking and returning to zero is something NF is famous for.
Posted By: AP2714

Re: VX-5HD vs SHV - 01/21/21 10:20 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'd really like to try the SHV if I can find a dealer that gives a nice discount on nightforce..Otherwise, it maybe the VX-5hd due to favorable pricing.
Posted By: Texican

Re: VX-5HD vs SHV - 01/21/21 11:53 PM

Curious where you're finding the best pricing?
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: VX-5HD vs SHV - 01/21/21 11:55 PM

I’ll bet that Leupold glass is way better, as I’ve never been impressed with shv glass
Posted By: cxjcherokec

Re: VX-5HD vs SHV - 01/22/21 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by AP2714
Thanks for the replies. I'd really like to try the SHV if I can find a dealer that gives a nice discount on nightforce..Otherwise, it maybe the VX-5hd due to favorable pricing.

As I'm sure you know know, anything you see online will be bound by their MAP pricing. You'll have to make calls and get "better" pricing over the phone.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: VX-5HD vs SHV - 01/22/21 02:53 PM

if zero stop is important, the Nightforce Zero Set is not a good design like their Zero Stop is. its not as "crisp" i love the glass and reticle.

to save a few bucks, i would call Keefer at Europtics or Doug at Camera Land. you have to ask if there is better pricing. they cant advertise discounts.

Check their websites, Camera Land just got stock in. looks like NF took another price increase hammer
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum