Texas Hunting Forum

Best rings

Posted By: DeRico

Best rings - 11/12/20 11:15 PM

Getting a NightForce SHV 4-14x50, what would be the best rings for an AR-10 platform? I was thinking Seekin’s or Vortex but don’t know what height would be good for the scope.
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Best rings - 11/12/20 11:21 PM

I think "best" is a question best asked based on some budget. All out, I'd imagine Suphr. But all nonsense and too much details aside, a larue mount really isn't that expensive and they have ar specific models getting the proper height.

Re: Best rings - 11/12/20 11:31 PM

I would love Suphr, just think they might be extra thicc on top of the AR. I just found a package deal on Amazon for a Steiner P4Xi with Steiner extra high rings.
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: Best rings - 11/12/20 11:50 PM

Larue C.A.N mount - 1.5” scope height - perfect for AR anything

$ 99

Get a torque wrench for inch lbs and do bottom screws first to 30 in/lbs then top (it’s a split ring design)
Posted By: TAB

Re: Best rings - 11/13/20 03:02 AM

I’ve never had nightforce rings ever leave a mark on a tube ever..

Re: Best rings - 11/13/20 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Pig_Popper
Larue C.A.N mount - 1.5” scope height - perfect for AR anything

$ 99

Get a torque wrench for inch lbs and do bottom screws first to 30 in/lbs then top (it’s a split ring design)

Oof looks good!

Just remember about the Vortex Razor gen 2, was trying to stick to 50mm objective since I really don’t want a yuge scope on top. Will DEFINITELY consider the C.A.N now
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Best rings - 11/13/20 12:35 PM

I have both their original qd ar mount and the newer can system. One more expensive but I can't tell any difference in performance. Both scopes/mounts have been moved back and forth on various rifles and neither ever really lose zero. To me if one has a little spare funds, some model Trijicon with a larue mount is just unbeatable. I have 3 such combos to cover all my ar optics needs.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Best rings - 11/13/20 02:32 PM

Night Force Ultralites
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Best rings - 11/13/20 07:24 PM

I generally use regular rings on an AR10 platform. Plenty of pic rail space in my experience.
Posted By: cheetah577

Re: Best rings - 11/13/20 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Night Force Ultralites

+1
I love these rings!!!

Re: Best rings - 11/13/20 07:58 PM

Those ultralites were on the list. I’ve got a huge list of what I was considering:

Aero Precision Ultralight’s
NightForce Ultralites
Seekins rings
LaRue C.A.N
Steiner T-series with bubble level

I also might sway towards the Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 just to save a little dough.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Best rings - 11/13/20 08:20 PM

I've got 3 LaRue CAN QD mounts...they are as advertised...you can pull them off and put them back on and they will repeat zero. I've been impressed with them.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Best rings - 11/13/20 08:47 PM

Night Force Ultralites

Yes

Re: Best rings - 11/13/20 09:12 PM

So 1.5” isn’t too high? I’ve got a LuthAR MBA-1 so I can adjust my cheek height.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Best rings - 11/14/20 03:52 AM

You need them higher on an AR than you do on a bolt action. Look at the height of one piece mounts specifically made for ARs, they are quite high.

Re: Best rings - 11/14/20 11:20 PM

You need them higher on an AR than you do on a bolt action. Look at the height of one piece mounts specifically made for ARs, they are quite high.

With that being said, I might go with solid one piece rings like the C.A.N or AP set. I see that NF has a set.

Re: Best rings - 11/14/20 11:54 PM

For $ 99 you really CANt go wrong .....

Re: Best rings - 11/15/20 02:14 AM

I’ve got one in the cart, just wondering why there’s a estimated ship time of 3-5 weeks(ordering from Amazon). I also found some 1.5” NightForce Ultralites. This is getting hectic, I need a second gun.
Posted By: TXBoss

Re: Best rings - 11/15/20 07:41 AM

+ another on the NF Ultra Lite rings.

Look into these Geissele mounts for your AR platform. Sometimes you can pick up a blem or catch a sale.

https://geissele.com/optics/magnified-optic-mounts.html
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Best rings - 11/15/20 02:58 PM

True
Posted By: cxjcherokec

Re: Best rings - 11/16/20 01:27 AM

Hugh fan on the larue can. Interchangeability from 1"-35mm is a great thing. I own so many freakin pairs of 1", 30mm and 34mm pic rings its unreal

Re: Best rings - 11/16/20 06:39 PM

I’m ordering the NF Ultralites for now, I think I CAN in the near future!

Re: Best rings - 11/21/20 02:57 AM

I CAN and just did , again

That’s 3 of these in the last month !

Re: Best rings - 11/21/20 08:01 PM

I haven’t ordered crap yet! I think I’m just gonna get the CAN after all.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum