Texas Hunting Forum

Schmidt Bender Klassik

Posted By: hilltop101

Schmidt Bender Klassik - 10/02/20 01:30 PM

So I found a Schmidt Bender Klassik 3-12x42 with illuminated reticle on Eurooptic for $999. I’m looking for a hunting scope for my R700 30-06. It’s a hunting rifle with a spotter weight 22” barrel that I rarely ever shoot past 300 yards. I’m mostly concerned with glass quality and lowlight gathering ability. I was looking for a used Leica, but for not much money this one popped up.

Anyone have any experience with it? Any idea if it will give up anything to a Leica ER or ER5?
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Schmidt Bender Klassik - 10/02/20 03:30 PM

S&B is excellent glass I have one on my 6mm creed.
Posted By: SingleShot85

Re: Schmidt Bender Klassik - 10/02/20 06:12 PM

Don’t hesitate too long S&B is king
Posted By: RHutch

Re: Schmidt Bender Klassik - 10/02/20 08:37 PM

I had that scope.

The glass is nice
FOV is OK
The reticle is very thin, so be aware if you expect it to look like the picture 'cause it doesn't.
The illumination is just OK
The adjustments (mine had an exposed turret) was rather mushy and limited in rotation..
It had a fairly poor glare if remotely looking towards the sun.

I returned it as it was not what I was looking for or expecting.

I compared it to Nightforce ATACR, Zeiss V6, Leica ERi, Bushnell LRTSi which were the scopes I had on hand at the time.

I am not saying it is a POS, cause it isn't, but it is a $1000 scope and nothing more, IME.
It is not a Polar a Zenith or PMII.
Posted By: hilltop101

Re: Schmidt Bender Klassik - 10/02/20 09:50 PM

Thanks for all the input. RHutch, our of all the scopes you have, which is your favorite hunting scope?

I’m leaning towards the Leica but they’re hard to come by used.
Posted By: RHutch

Re: Schmidt Bender Klassik - 10/03/20 12:02 AM

Depends on the rifle.
The Nightforce ATACR 4-16x42 is the scope I’ve been using the past few years on a couple rifles. Have yet to be disappointed.

The little 2.5-10 Leica ERi on a lightweight sporter is hard to beat. I have 3 of them and they are not easy to find.
Posted By: jmm

Re: Schmidt Bender Klassik - 10/05/20 01:47 PM

I have the Klassic on my every day use 06. Traveled around the world with it. It takes a beating and never loses zero. Great scope. A little on the heavy side.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum