Texas Hunting Forum

Picatinny Rail and Rings

Posted By: Gumbeaux

Picatinny Rail and Rings - 09/06/20 07:45 PM

About to upgrade scope on my Tikka T3 and will need to change it all since I'm going to a 30mm tube.

What is the recommended set up? I've read good things about the EGW bases. Would you go with HD or the standard? Or should I look for something that utilizes the recoil lug on the gun? Gun in question is a .25-06

How are their rings? Some of them look extremely bulky. I'd like to stay as light weight and low profile as possible w/o sacrificing quality and stability.

As a reference, I currently use DNZ one piece set up. I really like it and might go back to another one, but like the flexibility the rail gives me on how I can position the scope.

What say the masterminds?
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Picatinny Rail and Rings - 09/06/20 08:36 PM

I would look at a Talley LW rings if you’re want to stay light and low profile. Great rings that definitely come in 30mm to fit your rifle.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Picatinny Rail and Rings - 09/07/20 12:19 AM

Standard EGW 20 MOA base.

Nigh Force Ultralite rings
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Picatinny Rail and Rings - 09/07/20 01:02 AM

I'm not a mastermind but I picked up a Talley picatinny rail for my recent Kimber Montana purchase. As far as rings go, I've not had issues with any Picatinny rings I've used. Aluminum rings are pretty light even if they look bulky.

Re: Picatinny Rail and Rings - 09/07/20 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG

So right now I'm looking at the Leupold VX-5HD. It supposedly has 75 MOA of elevation. I'm assuming that with a 20 MOA base I could still zero at 100 yards?

I don't ever plan to long range shoot, but I guess that could change. If I could prep for it now and not affect my 100-300 yard shooting, I'd definitely do it.
Posted By: joshf303

Re: Picatinny Rail and Rings - 09/07/20 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Gumbeaux

So right now I'm looking at the Leupold VX-5HD. It supposedly has 75 MOA of elevation. I'm assuming that with a 20 MOA base I could still zero at 100 yards?

I don't ever plan to long range shoot, but I guess that could change. If I could prep for it now and not affect my 100-300 yard shooting, I'd definitely do it.

Yes

Re: Picatinny Rail and Rings - 09/09/20 12:27 AM

In theory, if you mounted that scope on a "0" MOA base you would have half that travel down, and half up. So you would have 37.5 MOA available to come up, and the same down. Mount that scope on a 20 MOA base, and you'll have 57.5 MOA up, and 17.5 MOA down. And from a 100 yard zero, you do not need to adjust down, ever. That was the long answer. smile

Re: Picatinny Rail and Rings - 09/09/20 02:12 AM

In theory, if you mounted that scope on a "0" MOA base you would have half that travel down, and half up. So you would have 37.5 MOA available to come up, and the same down. Mount that scope on a 20 MOA base, and you'll have 57.5 MOA up, and 17.5 MOA down. And from a 100 yard zero, you do not need to adjust down, ever. That was the long answer. smile

That's the way I calculated it in my head. Just needed confirmation. Thanks!

Re: Picatinny Rail and Rings - 09/09/20 01:28 PM

Yessir
Posted By: TAB

Re: Picatinny Rail and Rings - 09/14/20 01:06 AM

Nightforce ultra light rings are really nice and never leave any impression or damage on a scope tube they are really the one of the best, I have some American rifle company rings that hinge and split at the top the quality of machine work is impressive and they are as clean as the nightforce rings.. might be something to consider..

EGW mounts are excellent, in fact everything they make is excellent..

You can’t go wrong with JG suggestions at all.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum