Texas Hunting Forum

Scope for a .22

Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Scope for a .22 - 09/02/20 11:34 PM

Had a discussion with a buddy looking for a scope for his set up.
S&W MP 15-22, shots between 25-250 125 yards max...(he’ll probably shoot under 100 most of the time), wants it to be light weight-ish, and not break the bank.

What would you recommend?

Thanks!

Edit: MIL/FFP preferred
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Scope for a .22 - 09/03/20 12:02 AM

I have a few scoped 22’s, and my favorite scope is a Leupold 4.5-14x40 with the fine crosshair Varmint Hunter reticle. That fine crosshair is terrific for 22 shooting. I also have Nikon 3-9 rim fire scope, and it’s Ok but not great.

The Leupold, however, will not focus down to 10 yards, if that’s important, and it’s not FFP, mil.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Scope for a .22 - 09/03/20 12:26 AM

250 yards is a pretty good poke with a .22lr. He needs the same level of scope you'd recommend a centerfire going 800 yards. Then it comes down to how much he is willing to spend.

Re: Scope for a .22 - 09/03/20 01:31 AM

Good point. I was giving more range than what is likely....Let’s change it to 125 yards max.

And just to give a price range, let’s say $500-600 max for the scope itself.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Scope for a .22 - 09/03/20 02:24 AM

In that range Athlon is likely the only one that will go out plenty far but still focus down to 25yards or lower.

I use a PST Gen2 on my 22 comp gun and have taken it out to 350 yards accurately in the long range 22 match. I have a 20MOA rail and ran out of elevation at 300 yards. Last stage, 350 yards, I had to hold 5 MILs in my reticle to make hits. I now have a 50MOA rail from Murphy Precision I won from the prize table this past weekend.

Of course at that point I think his gun will be what is holding him back. We had a guy at the last match with same gun hitting at 250, but he was in a different squad so I’m not sure if he was doing it consistently or not.

Re: Scope for a .22 - 09/03/20 04:11 AM

Thanks. Will mention Athlon. up

Sounds like you won a very good and timely prize! What do you want to be able to reach out to with your set up? & what is the furthest down rage target in most .22 comps?

Re: Scope for a .22 - 09/03/20 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Son of a Blitch
Thanks. Will mention Athlon. up

Sounds like you won a very good and timely prize! What do you want to be able to reach out to with your set up? & what is the furthest down rage target in most .22 comps?

Most 22 comps don’t go near as far as we do. NRL22 doesn’t shoot over 100 yards. We normally keep it 200 yards and in for the league matches. For the finale we went out to 250 just to change it up a bit. The 22 long range match we held went out to 350 yards and I was extremely surprised at how well everyone shot it. The majority of misses were at 150 and 175 yards. Once we got past 200 almost everyone was cleaning the targets. I was either in or tied for first the entire match until the last stage which was the 350 yard where I had to hold because I ran out of elevation.

I use a Ruger 10/22 with every part except bolt and receiver changed out to KIDD parts. 18” barrel. I could tell it was opening up at longer ranges though compared to the bolt guns with longer barrels. It’ll still do it though.
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Scope for a .22 - 09/03/20 01:06 PM

I'm going to continue being that guy, if FFP is not that important then Trijicon. I'd gladly take my ridiculous 2.5-10x56 on a 22 out to 200 or less and never feel my scope is holding me back. My accupoint is a mil reticle with mil turrets. Works about as well as my swfa when making corrections at the max zoom.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Scope for a .22 - 09/03/20 01:51 PM

I'm not sure the S%W MP-15 .22 will compete much past 25 yards in these matches. More of a plinking gun, lots of fun burning ammo but not ready for prime time.

I would suggest a 1-6

Re: Scope for a .22 - 09/03/20 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by KRoyal
In that range Athlon is likely the only one that will go out plenty far but still focus down to 25yards or lower.

I use a PST Gen2 on my 22 comp gun and have taken it out to 350 yards accurately in the long range 22 match. I have a 20MOA rail and ran out of elevation at 300 yards. Last stage, 350 yards, I had to hold 5 MILs in my reticle to make hits. I now have a 50MOA rail from Murphy Precision I won from the prize table this past weekend.

Of course at that point I think his gun will be what is holding him back. We had a guy at the last match with same gun hitting at 250, but he was in a different squad so I’m not sure if he was doing it consistently or not.

not to hi-jack but with your 50 moa rail, how close of range can you still shoot?

Re: Scope for a .22 - 09/03/20 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
I'm not sure the S%W MP-15 .22 will compete much past 25 yards in these matches. More of a plinking gun, lots of fun burning ammo but not ready for prime time.

I would suggest a 1-6

My buddy got it just to plink with. This guy will never do a competitive match, so that’s not an element at play. He just wants to get further than he normally shoots, and I figure y’all have better suggestions than I might.

Re: Scope for a .22 - 09/03/20 03:40 PM

not to hi-jack but with your 50 moa rail, how close of range can you still shoot?

I just put it on haven't gotten to shoot it yet. But Vesperman Jr runs the same base and he said he is zero'd at 50 and can dial down to 25 yards and up to 450 yards.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Scope for a .22 - 09/03/20 04:19 PM

I would suggest a 1-6

My buddy got it just to plink with. This guy will never do a competitive match, so that’s not an element at play. He just wants to get further than he normally shoots, and I figure y’all have better suggestions than I might.

I put some red dot on it....because they are fun and everyone smiles when they shoot an AR 22 with a red dot. If he really wants to go way out, then he needs another rifle anyway. wink
Posted By: Shane431

Re: Scope for a .22 - 09/05/20 08:53 PM

The Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25 is great for a 22! That’s what I put on mine and so far it’s been great. Dialing from 50 - 200 yards.

Re: Scope for a .22 - 09/06/20 03:18 AM

I would suggest a 1-6

sweeet

Re: Scope for a .22 - 09/06/20 03:19 AM

I just put it on haven't gotten to shoot it yet. But Vesperman Jr runs the same base and he said he is zero'd at 50 and can dial down to 25 yards and up to 450 yards.

coolness
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum