Texas Hunting Forum

what do I buy

Posted By: GA DOG 3

what do I buy - 07/29/20 06:39 PM

I'm a bird hunter by birth from Ga. I need advise! I have a coyote and hog problem developing on my farm in Ga. So I want to buy a thermal scope for one of my center fire guns, an AR15, 5.56 OR A ak 7.62 or a browning BAR 308. which gun would you suggest most shots would be less than 200 yards. Now the real question what scope to buy, would like to stay under $3000 what do you recommed for a retired old bird hunter. Dont need all the bells and whistles, just easy to use with a clear image. Thanks for your advise. Ga DOG
Posted By: gr8fuldoug

Re: what do I buy - 07/29/20 07:22 PM

In a case such as this I like to yield to my thermal rep who replied:

"So I would tell him first that he should put it on his AR-15 build. Mainly because of the accuracy of a 7.62 and the build of a BAR wouldn't work well with a thermal scope.
We don't have any thermal scopes in stock at the $3,000 price range, the next closest is a Trail LRF XQ50 that runs $4,299.97. If that price is just too much, I would recommend a Pulsar Digex or Digisight which are Digital Night Vision scopes with a hand held thermal combo like our Axion line. It'll be between that $2,000 to $3,000 range he is looking for. Its a great set up to scan the field with a thermal hand held and not having to sling around his AR all night scanning and then using the Digex or Digisight once locating the animal to shoot. Both Digex models and one of the Digisight models are in stock as well as two of the Axion models."
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: what do I buy - 07/29/20 07:47 PM

Post this question on the hog hunting section, you will get good advice there in all the price ranges. You can get into a pretty good thermal around 2500.00.
Posted By: Judd

Re: what do I buy - 07/30/20 01:46 PM

I started with a Pulsar Core and it’s plenty adequate to do what you are asking. I kept it as a backup and bought a XQ50 LRF, which was a great scope but in my opinion it had to much power for spot and stalk type hunting...it would’ve been AWESOME for stand hunting.

So I sold it and bought a XP38 LRF...it is perfect for what I do and I’ve been really impressed with the scope.

With a 3k dollar limit, you’re looking at the Core or if you can find one a FLIR pts233. Keep in mind that FLIR is not going to be made any longer and should be a close out. I haven’t heard how FLIR will support their existing customers who have working units.

A Sightmark Wraith might work if you went the NV route.

Good luck!
Posted By: BigPig

Re: what do I buy - 07/30/20 02:05 PM

I would stay away from any digital night vision, I just haven’t been impressed. Join some thermal hinting pages on FB and shop for used thermals if you want a higher end model at a better price. Lots of people buy them then 1-6 months later sell them because they realize they can’t justify such a large purchase on their credit card.

If you want to go new, then I highly recommend the Pulsar Core, it’s under your budget.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum