Texas Hunting Forum

Vortex Razor HD - Review anyone?

Posted By: six_anthonys

Vortex Razor HD - Review anyone? - 07/15/20 03:02 AM

I have seen this scope take a Ram at 710 yards on a 30-378 so was thinking about getting one for a new 6.5 Creedmoor build. His scope is a Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 Scope EBR-2B. Anyone shoot with this scope or similar in Vortex....I have been a Leupold guy but Vortex has my attention. Any thoughts appreciated.....
Posted By: Shane431

Re: Vortex Razor HD - Review anyone? - 07/15/20 01:40 PM

The Razor's are good scopes. I prefer the Gen II units but the Gen I 5-20 is a good scope. You can probably find a used one for around $1000.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Vortex Razor HD - Review anyone? - 07/15/20 02:40 PM

Weight...is the only negative I can say about them.

Scope manufacturers are finally starting to look at ways to lighten these high magnification scopes. In other words, I am not hunting with a 30 ounce scope...life it way to short to lug that around all day when there are options in the low 20 ounce range but you typically give up some magnification.
Posted By: dee

Re: Vortex Razor HD - Review anyone? - 07/15/20 03:48 PM

Weight and the turrets are kinda tall and somewhat easy to turn imo. The glass was pretty decent for hunting imo.
Posted By: Shane431

Re: Vortex Razor HD - Review anyone? - 07/15/20 04:20 PM

Depends on what you're using the scope for. At the range, weight can be a good thing!
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Vortex Razor HD - Review anyone? - 07/15/20 04:54 PM

I've got the Gen II Razor 4.5-27 on a long range rig. I think it's a big step up from the Gen I models. Better glass, bigger easy to read locking turrets, better zero stop. I like mine just fine and it's been 100% reliable so far, but with all that being said, if I were buying new I'd get a Nightforce.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Vortex Razor HD - Review anyone? - 07/15/20 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
if I were buying new I'd get a Nightforce.

ATACR and never look back.
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: Vortex Razor HD - Review anyone? - 07/15/20 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG

X2!
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Vortex Razor HD - Review anyone? - 07/16/20 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG

x3

Although, i did put a Mark5 next to my ATACR back in february....I was pleasantly surprised with it..including low light hunting
Posted By: cheetah577

Re: Vortex Razor HD - Review anyone? - 07/21/20 06:04 PM

I have a Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 Scope EBR-2B on my LWRC REPR. It is great for the range, but not for hunting. I'm old and my eyes aren't what they used to be. I would go with a Leupold VX6HD for hunting.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Vortex Razor HD - Review anyone? - 07/21/20 07:51 PM

I have the Leupold VX5 3-15 with the CDS and the fire dot. Man, that fire dot (variable brightness) is the best thing since sliced bread if you are in dim light pig hunting. All those years of trying to find black crosshairs on a black pig in the dim light made me search for an illuminated crosshair. That took me to Vortex gen 1, and I found that their illuminated reticle was not much good in dim light, being too bright at the lowest setting. But the fire dot is just exactly what I needed.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum