Texas Hunting Forum

TC 7-30 Waters, need scope.

Posted By: skinnerback

TC 7-30 Waters, need scope. - 04/06/20 10:16 PM

Hey Guys,

So I bought a TC Contender in 7-30 Waters a while back, and has just been sitting in the safe. Finally going to put a scope on it and put it to use. For you pistol shooters, what power/style scope do you guys recommend? This is going to be a buggy gun for making quick shots while jumping animals at a distance of 20-100 yrds on most occasions. I love pistol hunting, but have never hunted with a scoped pistol.

Please advise.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: TC 7-30 Waters, need scope. - 04/06/20 10:24 PM

Hard to go wrong with a fixed 2x.

I had a 2-6 Bushnell Trophy for awhile and liked it. I think they’ve been discontinued.

Re: TC 7-30 Waters, need scope. - 04/06/20 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tactical Cowboy
Hard to go wrong with a fixed 2x.

I had a 2-6 Bushnell Trophy for awhile and liked it. I think they’ve been discontinued.

Thanks TC, Ima looking...
Posted By: fishdfly

Re: TC 7-30 Waters, need scope. - 04/06/20 10:56 PM

"This is going to be a buggy gun for making quick shots while jumping animals at a distance of 20-100 yrds"

You may find that a challenge on "jumping animals" with a scoped pistol.

You might want to shoot it off a bench to see the vertical rise when it goes off, especially out of a buggy.

Re: TC 7-30 Waters, need scope. - 04/06/20 11:46 PM

This might be one of the few times I’d say to get a red dot for a hunting handgun as well...
Posted By: kmon11

Re: TC 7-30 Waters, need scope. - 04/07/20 12:50 AM

This might be one of the few times I’d say to get a red dot for a hunting handgun as well...

I tend to agree, scoped handguns are not that fast to target. I have a 7-30 TC Contender that has had the same Bushnell 2-6 on It since 1992 IIRC, still shoots great and still sighted in from when I sighted it in back then. Red doe will be faster if your eyes are good enough for that
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: TC 7-30 Waters, need scope. - 04/07/20 12:50 AM

I like a 2-7 for my hunting pistols. You are setting yourself up for a real challenge with shooting moving animals at 200 yards. I would not recommend a pistol for that. It’s difficult enough killing them while stationary with a handgun.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: TC 7-30 Waters, need scope. - 04/07/20 01:02 AM

1-4X

Leave it on 1X until you get into a situation where you can get steady and turn it up.

Re: TC 7-30 Waters, need scope. - 04/07/20 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG
1-4X

Leave it on 1X until you get into a situation where you can get steady and turn it up.

Who makes a 1-4 pistol scope?

Re: TC 7-30 Waters, need scope. - 04/07/20 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by fishdfly
"This is going to be a buggy gun for making quick shots while jumping animals at a distance of 20-100 yrds"

You may find that a challenge on "jumping animals" with a scoped pistol.

You might want to shoot it off a bench to see the vertical rise when it goes off, especially out of a buggy.

I'm sure you are right. I normally keep an iron sights 30-30 on the buggy for this and has worked well in the brush down here, I'm confident up to 100 yrds with it. Just itching for something different I guess. I have a 6" Dan Wesson 357 mag that earned her trust long ago, open sights. I like iron sights but I know my limits. I have de-cocked and passed on a few, so got me thinking about a pistol scope for lil bit more.

Re: TC 7-30 Waters, need scope. - 04/07/20 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by kmon1

I tend to agree, scoped handguns are not that fast to target. I have a 7-30 TC Contender that has had the same Bushnell 2-6 on It since 1992 IIRC, still shoots great and still sighted in from when I sighted it in back then. Red doe will be faster if your eyes are good enough for that

I remember you giving me advice the first time I asked about this, thank you Sir. I didn't get it done though.

I may look harder at a red dot sight. May be the way to go. I need fast acquisition and my eyes are still good.

Re: TC 7-30 Waters, need scope. - 04/07/20 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Adchunts
I like a 2-7 for my hunting pistols. You are setting yourself up for a real challenge with shooting moving animals at 200 yards. I would not recommend a pistol for that. It’s difficult enough killing them while stationary with a handgun.

You must have misread Sir, 20-100 yrds was the range mentioned.
Posted By: Dink Dodger

Re: TC 7-30 Waters, need scope. - 04/07/20 04:06 AM

Mine wears a fixed 4x Leupold. Definitely not the choice for jump shooting running animals, but easy 100yd accuracy.
I still have a bunch of brass for you if you start reloading for it.
[Linked Image]

Re: TC 7-30 Waters, need scope. - 04/07/20 05:44 PM

That’s a nice rig. Thank you!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum