Texas Hunting Forum

Vortex Pro Series Rings

Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Vortex Pro Series Rings - 01/20/20 12:02 PM

Anybody had long term good results out to these?
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Vortex Pro Series Rings - 01/20/20 02:45 PM

Not those specifically.

I have a set of Vortex tactical rings, their fit leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Vortex Pro Series Rings - 01/20/20 03:06 PM

Seekins makes their Precision matched rings. For a bit more than the Pro rings, you could go with Seekins standard rings, which I’ve found are pretty high quality.
Posted By: Shane431

Re: Vortex Pro Series Rings - 01/20/20 04:10 PM

I have a set of the new pro rings and they seem to be just as good as the precision Vortex (seekins) ones. I’ll probably get another set.
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Vortex Pro Series Rings - 01/20/20 04:32 PM

When it comes to "gun stuff," I have found that using my "engineering hat" is sometimes use. In this instance, my engineering senses tell me that with regards to scope rings, there are some attributes I look for:
1. 4 screws for the rings itself
2. one screw for attaching the rings to the base.
3. if it's a unimount design, then only 2 screws on the bottom of the rings
4. i prefer steel, not a deal breaker but I think I highly prefer steel.

These rings have the 2 screws on the bottom and I dont necessary like it as much as a single large. Honestly, this has alot to do with my experience with doing flange make-up professionally. For this price range, seems like there are much better options out there.

Re: Vortex Pro Series Rings - 01/20/20 04:54 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the response. I made an impulse buy and got them yesterday, mainly for fit. I liked the height once mounted. My first option (Warne, steel) wasn't on the shelf, these looked perfect once mounted, I had Bass Pro points, I left with them.

I also like steel. (That whole modules of elasticity property compared to aluminum) This is on an AR-10, in 6.5 Creedmoor. Should be fine.
Posted By: Shane431

Re: Vortex Pro Series Rings - 01/20/20 05:15 PM

These are the rings we’re talking about correct?

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-pro-series-30mm-rings.html?vx_ring_height=1182

If so, I think they’re good to go! But time will tell.

Re: Vortex Pro Series Rings - 01/20/20 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Shaner

Exactly.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Vortex Pro Series Rings - 01/21/20 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Originally Posted by Shaner

Exactly.

Those are junk. I have a set you can look at, waste of money

Re: Vortex Pro Series Rings - 01/21/20 12:58 PM

What was your experience with them, and what do you have? I'd be interested.

Thanks
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Vortex Pro Series Rings - 01/21/20 01:34 PM

Don't be afraid of high quality aluminum rings, they hold, and they can take some accidental knocking around. There are two I like, and have not had any trouble with.

Talley Tactical
Night Force Ultralite

Both are a cross bolt, and nut. I only buy 4 screw rings, and they have held just fine.

Re: Vortex Pro Series Rings - 01/21/20 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Don't be afraid of high quality aluminum rings, they hold, and they can take some accidental knocking around. There are two I like, and have not had any trouble with.

Talley Tactical
Night Force Ultralite

Both are a cross bolt, and nut. I only buy 4 screw rings, and they have held just fine.

I have my preference, but am not opposed to aluminum. My Sunday afternoon purchase was out of necessity, so I opted for these.

Re: Vortex Pro Series Rings - 01/27/20 01:09 AM

I bought them from academy, Vortex did some creative packaging to hide the flaws.

Several forum members have seen them and not one disagreed with my opinion.

You have my phone number, contact me if you’d like to see them.
Posted By: Txhillbilly

Re: Vortex Pro Series Rings - 01/27/20 01:32 AM

American Rifle Company's M-10 rings are some of the best rings,IMO. I have several sets of them,and they work excellent.

https://www.americanrifle.com/shop/product/m10-scope-rings-7

Re: Vortex Pro Series Rings - 02/02/20 02:09 PM

Took em back. Went with a Burris PEPR. Gives better clearance for charging. When I pulled them off two ring screws had backed off torque.

Re: Vortex Pro Series Rings - 02/02/20 07:17 PM

I probably shouldn’t have used mine, they are on a NV scope anyway
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Vortex Pro Series Rings - 02/02/20 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Took em back. Went with a Burris PEPR. Gives better clearance for charging. When I pulled them off two ring screws had backed off torque.

Freakin Vortex rolleyes
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Vortex Pro Series Rings - 02/03/20 03:33 PM

Vortex PMR rings are made by Seekins, as mentioned before. They're good rings. Use low-strength loctite on the screws. I've used Badger, Vortex PMR, Seekins, SWFA, and a couple other good quality brands. No issues torqing to spec and using blue loctite.

I did have issues with multiple brands, including Seekins, before using loctite. It's a firearm and you can't expect screws without locking features to hold under repeated heavy shock/vibration events.

Re: Vortex Pro Series Rings - 02/03/20 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by patriot07
Vortex PMR rings are made by Seekins, as mentioned before. They're good rings. Use low-strength loctite on the screws. I've used Badger, Vortex PMR, Seekins, SWFA, and a couple other good quality brands. No issues torqing to spec and using blue loctite.

I did have issues with multiple brands, including Seekins, before using loctite. It's a firearm and you can't expect screws without locking features to hold under repeated heavy shock/vibration events.

I don't use a thread locker on Warne, never had an issue. In fact, they discourage it.

This was on a AR-10, in 6.5 Creedmoor so there is a lot of movement and shock. I'll see how the PEPR holds up.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Vortex Pro Series Rings - 02/03/20 09:10 PM

Talley Tactical
Night Force Ultralite

I'm with Jason !! I just took off this scope which has been on the rifle 10 years, Nightforce Ultralight left no ring marks. They are just made good. I'm looking at the Talley an Seekins now. The Seekins are great and more stream lined, less TAF (Tactical)

Seekins
[Linked Image]
No ring marks from this rifle
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Vortex Pro Series Rings - 02/03/20 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw

Talley Tactical
Night Force Ultralite

I'm with Jason !! I just took off this scope which has been on the rifle 10 years, Nightforce Ultralight left no ring marks. They are just made good. I'm looking at the Talley an Seekins now. The Seekins are great and more stream lined, less TAF (Tactical)

Seekins
[Linked Image]
No ring marks from this rifle
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The one mounted 10 years, did you use loc-tite?
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Vortex Pro Series Rings - 02/04/20 05:44 AM

no, never have, just torque to spec.

not sure but an OLD trick, i learned when i was 14 (1966) and getting started in all this fun. Spread a small amount of plain Outers gun oil inside the rings then put scope in and tighten. the oil will "dry up" and leave a sticky residue, kinda like rosen. Comes off easy. scope never moves in rings.

Re: Vortex Pro Series Rings - 02/04/20 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
no, never have, just torque to spec.

not sure but an OLD trick, i learned when i was 14 (1966) and getting started in all this fun. Spread a small amount of plain Outers gun oil inside the rings then put scope in and tighten. the oil will "dry up" and leave a sticky residue, kinda like rosen. Comes off easy. scope never moves in rings.

And there you have it, I agree (with the first part).
Posted By: bobsumner

Re: Vortex Pro Series Rings - 02/19/20 01:31 PM

Talley, Vortex, IOTA, Badger, Seekins... My favorites are the IOTA's and Seekins.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum