Texas Hunting Forum

Low power scopes

Posted By: jhenderson

Low power scopes - 01/13/20 11:48 PM

Looking at the possibility of putting a low power 1-4 maybe 2-7 on a lever gun. Let’s be honest my eyes are not what they were and I’m not sold that I’ll do one. But for options what would be my best options.

I want lighted reticle as this is mostly a hog gun
Under 500
Other than that not to picky

Thinking Leupold, Trijicon as my first two but open to other ideas
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Low power scopes - 01/14/20 12:37 AM

Back when I had young eyes and a Marlin in 35 Remington, I found that a scope helped a bunch in dim light. I was a hard core iron sights guy up until then. If I still had the rifle and wanted a illuminated scope, I’d probably go for the Leupold VXR 1.25-4 scope with the fire dot reticle. That illuminated dot, with adjustable brightness, is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Dim light, black hog, there’s no worry about where the crosshairs are. Put that tiny little dot on the pig and let fly. That’s what I bought it for, and it works great.
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: Low power scopes - 01/14/20 12:58 AM

That’s the one I’m leaning towards. It’s not on a long range gun 100 yards max and pistol cartridge so it’s going to run out of steam before I do scope.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Low power scopes - 01/14/20 01:47 AM

I like 2-7X32 for a bit better light gathering than any of the 1-x scopes I have tried, a little bigger objective helps
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Low power scopes - 01/14/20 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by 603Country
Back when I had young eyes and a Marlin in 35 Remington, I found that a scope helped a bunch in dim light. I was a hard core iron sights guy up until then. If I still had the rifle and wanted a illuminated scope, I’d probably go for the Leupold VXR 1.25-4 scope with the fire dot reticle. That illuminated dot, with adjustable brightness, is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Dim light, black hog, there’s no worry about where the crosshairs are. Put that tiny little dot on the pig and let fly. That’s what I bought it for, and it works great.

I put a 2-7 VXR Firedot on my wife's AR and it's outstanding! Wish I could justify the cost of putting one on my Marlin 30-30.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Low power scopes - 01/14/20 02:09 AM

The VX-R is a solid scope and the firedot is the best illumates reticle I’ve used. Burris has one as well that’s very nice about a $100 cheaper.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Low power scopes - 01/14/20 02:12 AM

I have a Weaver 1-3 on my Marlin 44 mag lever gun that I used specifically for pigs. At the time, I used it for night hunting pigs with a light on top. Now, I could do with out it, but it still works well.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Low power scopes - 01/14/20 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
I have a Weaver 1-3 on my Marlin 44 mag lever gun that I used specifically for pigs. At the time, I used it for night hunting pigs with a light on top. Now, I could do with out it, but it still works well.

Those inexpensive Weaver V series that are made in Japan are great scopes for the money. I'd take one over an entry level Leupold.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Low power scopes - 01/14/20 02:38 AM

Also to add, I was looking for one for my 1894 45 Colt just a couple of weeks ago. Decided on the FX-2 2.5x20. As far as looks I don’t think you can get better classic lines for a lever. To date, I’ve decided to put a FX-2 4x32 on it that I already own. See how I like it.

The 2.5x20

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Low power scopes - 01/14/20 03:12 AM

Burris RT6!
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Low power scopes - 01/14/20 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by kmon1
I like 2-7X32 for a bit better light gathering than any of the 1-x scopes I have tried, a little bigger objective helps

Yep 2-7X33 Leupold scopes are hard to beat for a happy mix between compact and decent power.
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Low power scopes - 01/15/20 07:43 PM

I've used an older bushnell 2-7x32 for years on my 30-30 but that was before other otions were available. I'm actually considering getting some 1-6ish powered scope for my 30-06 now. We have a trijicon accupoint 1-4. Glass is really good but power is very stiff. Also, I think i'd rather save some moneys and get the accupower instead for a few buck less.
Posted By: Ag Hunter 78

Re: Low power scopes - 02/06/20 12:51 AM

Just a tad over your budget, but a quality alternative would be an Optika6:

https://www.eurooptic.com/Meopta-Optika6-1-6x24-Illuminated-4C-30mmSFP-Riflescope-653613.aspx
Posted By: Shane431

Re: Low power scopes - 02/06/20 03:03 AM

Although very difficult to find I have a SWFA 1-4HD model they no longer make. It’s illuminated and a great scope. This scope was replaced by the 1-6HD which is also great but more than I need for my 300 Blackout SBR.
Posted By: cheetah577

Re: Low power scopes - 02/06/20 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by 603Country

+1
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum