Texas Hunting Forum

Sightmark Photon RT - Which Magnification to get?

Posted By: HLo

Sightmark Photon RT - Which Magnification to get? - 12/18/19 02:19 PM

I was going to get the 4.5 X since it has better FOV. Is the FOV on the 6X that bad? Most of my shots will likely be 100+ yards. On occasion may have a few at 70-80 yards.
Do you ever use the digital zoom? I have never owned a digital scope.

Was thinking about the Wraith but from review on Youtube sounds like there are some things that need to be worked out and without the IR on you cannot see anything.

THoughts?
Posted By: GLC

Re: Sightmark Photon RT - Which Magnification to get? - 12/18/19 02:25 PM

Get the 4.5, the 6.5 gets too grainy. You won't like the digital zoom either, gets very grainy also. It is good for the money but you will leave it at the 4.5 setting.
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: Sightmark Photon RT - Which Magnification to get? - 12/19/19 05:10 AM

I have no experience wit the Photon but I do have the ATN X-Sight II 3x14. They also have a 5x20.
That said......
If your shooting will typically be under 200 yards stay with the lower power. I will work just fine further that that but as you pointed out.. the FOV on the 6 X will be tough at night to make quick acquisition on targets under 75 yards.

Just my thoughts on my same questions I had when buying the ATN.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Sightmark Photon RT - Which Magnification to get? - 12/19/19 05:52 AM

Get the lowest your can.
Posted By: WendlingKnives

Re: Sightmark Photon RT - Which Magnification to get? - 12/19/19 12:29 PM

I had a 4.6 photon for the last couple years. I wouldnt want more. i now have a pulsar thermal thats 2.2x and like it even better
Posted By: Bmnloader

Re: Sightmark Photon RT - Which Magnification to get? - 12/19/19 02:20 PM

I've got the 4.6 as well. Consistent shots out to around 130 yrds with no problem.

Re: Sightmark Photon RT - Which Magnification to get? - 12/19/19 08:01 PM

Thanks, went with the 4.6 on sale at Academy. Found the last one for $299. Excited to try it out.
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: Sightmark Photon RT - Which Magnification to get? - 12/20/19 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by HLo
Thanks, went with the 4.6 on sale at Academy. Found the last one for $299. Excited to try it out.

You closed the deal before I had a chance to tell you about my experience. You bought exact what I would've recommended, so it's all good.

Re: Sightmark Photon RT - Which Magnification to get? - 12/20/19 04:01 PM

One became available in Austin, and I had to jump on it quick before all sold out. Thanks again, sounds like a solid scope.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Sightmark Photon RT - Which Magnification to get? - 12/20/19 11:44 PM

You should be happy with it.
I have an early Photon 4.5 that has served me well for quite a few years.

Re: Sightmark Photon RT - Which IR Light? - 03/19/20 02:14 PM

Been using the Photon and can see 150 yards very clear and up to 200 and still make out animals and eyes. So far, very impressed by the quality of the optic, video, and clarity and the WIFI. Biggest tip to make better quality videos was to pop out the center of the front scope cover and use it like that at night! Big difference in quality and nothing mentioned in the manual about it. If I wanted to see 200 -300 yards or brighten things up some, does anyone recommend a small to medium IR Light for less than $100 that is not huge on my rifle. I have read some people using the EVOLA IR 20 and other that say it is not better than the IR Light that comes on the scope. I was also thinking about the Streamlight Super Tac IR for $90. I just do not want a really large IR Light addition or something that costs more than I paid for the scope to get another 50-100 yards more out of it. Very happy with this scope though. Does more than I expected.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum