Texas Hunting Forum

Low Cost NV thoughts? NV Monocular w/dot sight?

Posted By: psycho0819

Low Cost NV thoughts? NV Monocular w/dot sight? - 12/01/19 07:31 PM

Like just about everyone else in the south, we have a serious hog problem. I am adept at killing them on clear nights with a decent moon using a low power scope, but need something that will work out to about 75yds in near total darkness. No way thermal is within my budget, so let's shelf that option for the sake of this discussion.

Seriously considered the ATN X Sight II, but am seeing many reviews that are less than stellar, and even more negatives about ATN's customer service if there are any issues. Shopped other manufacturers and all seem to have their pro's and con's.

Then I ran across something interesting, though it's nothing new; Co-Witnessing a NV monocular with a dot-type 1x magnification sight. Specifically looking at the Bushnell Equinox (more specifically looking at the 4.5 model) to pair with the Vortex Strikefire 1 (w/nv mode) that I already have. Reports on various forums I've found discussing this are generally positive. I realize this will be a bulky/heavy setup, but for me would be used on a stand with a rest, and a dedicated rifle (.223 AR).

Anyone here using such a setup? What are your positives/negatives in regards to usability? I know this is going to result in a setup with limited range, and will likely be a bit tricky to setup. I am willing to accept that. My time is more expendable for this project than cash is at the moment.

All-in, I'd be about $350 with a new lower 1/3 co-witness mount for the Strikefire, and a 850nm IR external light (called for on most applications I've found to get a bit more range).
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Low Cost NV thoughts? NV Monocular w/dot sight? - 12/01/19 10:15 PM

This went off sale today unfortunately. You might keep an eye out in case it goes back on sale.

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum...tmark-photon-rt-academy-deal#Post7671979
Posted By: Outdoor Legacy

Re: Low Cost NV thoughts? NV Monocular w/dot sight? - 12/02/19 03:05 AM

I'm going to shoot you straight on this and I'm sure I'll have some others on this forum to back me up. Do not buy an ATN. Period. Buy either a Sightmark Photon RT or a Sightmark Wraith HD. Both will absolutely do all you need to do at 150-200 yards right out of the box. Yes you can spend more on an aftermarket IR and really brighten it up and extend the range but if you're looking for 150 yards and under I see no reason to do that.

Both these scopes will do what you want and are very dependable. As Ntxtrapper mentioned, Academy was working with Sightmark to help close out the Photon RT's and selling them at $299, which is way below dealer cost. I know that deal is gone but you can pick them up other places for about $499. You can buy them used for $275-$350. The Wraiths are new, so finding one used is going to be difficult and there isn't supposed to be any deals on them, they are $499 as well.

You will be way better off with a real dedicated NV scope than trying to rig something up that will cost you nearly as much and you'll end up being disappointed in.

That's my 2 cents!

Jason
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Low Cost NV thoughts? NV Monocular w/dot sight? - 12/02/19 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy
You will be way better off with a real dedicated NV scope than trying to rig something up that will cost you nearly as much and you'll end up being disappointed in.

What he said... The only thing a dedicated scope won't get you is the ability to scan without using the rifle, which strongly blows after you've done it for a bit. Get the scope vs the pair, you'll be happier, but know you'll be wanting to something to scan with real soon afterward.

FYI , I do have a NVM14 NV Monocular mounted behind a red-dot (can't remember which one), it worked, but got shelved when I purchased my thermal gear.

Charlie
Posted By: HLo

Re: Low Cost NV thoughts? NV Monocular w/dot sight? - 12/03/19 02:27 AM

I ended up buying the Bushnell Equinox last year, 4.5 Model and have been very impressed with it out to 175 + yards. Everyone I have loaned it to has felt the same. I then bought a red LED light that shines over a 100 yards that attaches to my rifle and can use my regular scope. The LED Red light was $30 on amazon. I use the Bushnell for scanning and the rifle / red light for shooting. Maybe consider this as an option. Academy had the PHoton Scope on sale that I have read great things about but I didn't want to mess with lifting my rifle constantly so elected to go with the monocular. I carry the monocular in my hunting bag when I get to the blind early or leave late. Really neat to use and scan the fields, roads, etc.
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Low Cost NV thoughts? NV Monocular w/dot sight? - 12/29/19 10:37 PM

Just an FYI update;

As an experiment that had the possibility to be a solution, I ordered the Bushnell Equinox and co-witnessed it with my Vortex Strikefire. Bought an aftermarket IR light too, and messed with it all around the house. My overall reaction is, in a pinch I could make it all work together, but having so many different components to deal with could be a real pita in the field. Not to mention how bulky and heavy the rifle got.

So now I've removed all of that in preparation for the arrival of the Wraith, which should be here Tuesday. Will use the monocular for scanning, and the Wraith as it should be.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum