Texas Hunting Forum

What power is best for a longrange/close range .22?

Posted By: Buzzsaw

What power is best for a longrange/close range .22? - 11/01/19 03:00 AM

I like focus to 25 yards. But what about the high-end, Whats enough to shoot to 200 yards?
Posted By: patriot07

Re: What power is best for a longrange/close range .22? - 11/01/19 03:20 AM

15x is the minimum I'd consider for any type of precision work. 20x or 25x would be better. But my SWFA HD 5-20 was fine even on the tiny 1moa target at 200 yards on Jason's range, when he had that target. But if you're aiming at a tiny point on a target at 200, then 25x or higher would be better. There is a reason the BR guys shoot with 40x scopes or higher.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: What power is best for a longrange/close range .22? - 11/01/19 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
I like focus to 25 yards. But what about the high-end, Whats enough to shoot to 200 yards?

Don't you have a Meopta Optika 6 coming your 22? Those scopes look interesting. I wanted to get your opinion on it.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: What power is best for a longrange/close range .22? - 11/01/19 02:41 PM

If 20-25x is good for a 308 at 800 yards, why wouldn't 14x be plenty for a .22 at 200 yards? Granted, I'm no expert, but I have heard plenty of experts say that 20-25x is just fine for 800 yards.

Re: What power is best for a longrange/close range .22? - 11/01/19 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by scottfromdallas

Don't you have a Meopta Optika 6 coming your 22? Those scopes look interesting. I wanted to get your opinion on it.

yes, but I'm getting tired of waiting, supposed to be here sometime this month but even Meopta wont commit any further than this.

Re: What power is best for a longrange/close range .22? - 11/01/19 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba
If 20-25x is good for a 308 at 800 yards, why wouldn't 14x be plenty for a .22 at 200 yards? Granted, I'm no expert, but I have heard plenty of experts say that 20-25x is just fine for 800 yards.

kinda what i was thinking but, patriot07 makes a good point.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: What power is best for a longrange/close range .22? - 11/01/19 07:01 PM

Buzz I got the SWFA 3-15 and the reticle is perfect for the tiny targets has a tiny little dot in the center of the reticle.

Re: What power is best for a longrange/close range .22? - 11/02/19 03:48 AM

thanks Kyle
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: What power is best for a longrange/close range .22? - 11/02/19 12:43 PM

3/15 or 4/16

Hint
Posted By: P_102

Re: What power is best for a longrange/close range .22? - 11/03/19 12:04 PM

I have the Midas TAC in 5-25 and haven’t found any problems/dislikes with it.
I can see the shorter, 10 yard, parallax coming in handy at some point and the Horus
Reticle has already been useful.

Re: What power is best for a longrange/close range .22? - 11/05/19 09:35 PM

well dang its about 50/50
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: What power is best for a longrange/close range .22? - 11/06/19 12:29 AM

12x works for 200 yards for me. Any higher power will have AO adjustments, I didn’t care for the extra bells and whistles.

Re: What power is best for a longrange/close range .22? - 11/06/19 02:17 PM

I'm waiting on the new Meopta6, 4.5-27X50, dial turrets, parallax adjustable to 25 yards. It's brand new and the 4.5-27's are not shipping from Germany for a couple more weeks according to Meopta. I'm getting antsy and found a really great deal on a Zeiss V4 4-16X50, Dial Turrets, Parallax to 10 yards. Zeiss is still $200 more but I can get it now.

This is my dilemma. I'm tempted to just wait a little longer as, I love the Meopta products.

another kicker:

Meopta: 31oz
Zeiss: 21.8 oz. *****

Going on a new .22lr.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: What power is best for a longrange/close range .22? - 11/06/19 05:14 PM

Are you saying you intend to dial with a Ziess?

Re: What power is best for a longrange/close range .22? - 11/06/19 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by wp75169

uh oh, here it comes

yes confused2 clap
Posted By: J.G.

Re: What power is best for a longrange/close range .22? - 11/07/19 02:42 AM

uh oh, here it comes

yes confused2 clap

Not good.
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: What power is best for a longrange/close range .22? - 11/07/19 03:09 AM

Buzz,

Let’s be honest, you are a man of simple tastes, only the finest. 😊

what about the new NX8 4-32x?

That would cover the whole spectrum and be easy to sell if you do not like it.

Re: What power is best for a longrange/close range .22? - 11/07/19 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by jeffbird
Buzz,

Let’s be honest, you are a man of simple tastes, only the finest. 😊

what about the new NX8 4-32x?

That would cover the whole spectrum and be easy to sell if you do not like it.

I already have one, guess I could pull a JG and rotate it from the .22 Creedmoor to the .22lr. May sell the new .22 Creed, I just dont have the want to anymore to tune the loads. I know....Judd already busted my balz, and rightly so.

trying to save a grand. Not sure where Zeiss picked up such a bad reputation

have a deposit on the new Meopta , Meopta says they have begun to ship,

God I'm such a beeche
Posted By: AZ_Hunter_2000

Re: What power is best for a longrange/close range .22? - 11/07/19 02:58 PM

Running a Vortex Razor LH (3-15) on my Tikka T1X in 17 HMR. Awesome setup and no issues taking it to 300 yards. Good enough to shoot 15 rounds as fast as I can at 100 yards and yield a 1.25" group. Am not patient enough to shoot 15 rounds extremely slowly to see if I can get them into a 0.17" hole at 100 yards.

Re: What power is best for a longrange/close range .22? - 11/07/19 03:05 PM

Thanks AZ_Hunter
15X sound like it would be fine for my needs
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: What power is best for a longrange/close range .22? - 11/07/19 05:08 PM

I'm running a 4-16 on my 77/22 and it's fine out to 300 yards.

Re: What power is best for a longrange/close range .22? - 11/08/19 02:53 AM

May sell the new .22 Creed, I just dont have the want to anymore to tune the loads. I know....Judd already busted my balz, and rightly so

Outsource your load development. There are a couple guys on the forum that will do it all for you Mr. Big.

Re: What power is best for a longrange/close range .22? - 11/08/19 04:01 AM

May sell the new .22 Creed, I just dont have the want to anymore to tune the loads. I know....Judd already busted my balz, and rightly so

Outsource your load development. There are a couple guys on the forum that will do it all for you Mr. Big.

im not that handicapped
Posted By: wp75169

Re: What power is best for a longrange/close range .22? - 11/08/19 06:26 AM

im not that handicapped

I don’t think anyone thinks you’re unable to do it. The fact is, if you don’t want to do it then don’t do it, pay someone to do it. Quit putting used tires on your Ferrari, then being disappointed and selling the car.

If you pay someone to develop the load, then build you 100-500 or so of them, you can just go shoot and then giggle to your heart’s content.

I put off loading because I don’t enjoy it, I’m very anal about it to the point it becomes stressful. I do do it myself because I take pride in the end result.

Re: What power is best for a longrange/close range .22? - 11/08/19 05:05 PM

im not that handicapped

I don’t think anyone thinks you’re unable to do it. The fact is, if you don’t want to do it then don’t do it, pay someone to do it. Quit putting used tires on your Ferrari, then being disappointed and selling the car.

If you pay someone to develop the load, then build you 100-500 or so of them, you can just go shoot and then giggle to your heart’s content.

I put off loading because I don’t enjoy it, I’m very anal about it to the point it becomes stressful. I do do it myself because I take pride in the end result.

good response, thank you

Re: What power is best for a longrange/close range .22? - 11/09/19 02:27 PM

We endured no less than 10 threads asking the same .22 questions for over a year. A selection was finally made, a rifle built, and now it is going to get sold?

Buzz, you really take away any desire to give you any help. You're going to ignore it, or sell something that so many people tried to give you good advice to make an informed decision. Then my prediction is you'll ask the same damn questions all over again, a year later. It makes some of us not want to waste our breath.

Re: What power is best for a longrange/close range .22? - 11/10/19 05:57 AM

Man, I'm old and get confused JG, you need to give the elderly a little grace crying

Re: What power is best for a longrange/close range .22? - 11/10/19 02:12 PM

Didn't mean to stir anything up Buzz. I was just saying you built a really nice rifle. I really don't enjoy load development all that much either.

Re: What power is best for a longrange/close range .22? - 11/10/19 02:27 PM

Man, I'm old and get confused JG, you need to give the elderly a little grace crying

You know I'm half kidding. peep

Re: What power is best for a longrange/close range .22? - 11/10/19 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG

You know I'm half kidding. peep

of course, I still have a man crush on you peep

well lets not go that far

Re: What power is best for a longrange/close range .22? - 11/10/19 05:17 PM

roflmao
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum