Texas Hunting Forum

rifle to rifle

Posted By: colt45-90

rifle to rifle - 09/21/19 11:27 PM

I see that some shooters move scope from rifle to rifle. what caliber ( meaning brand, model ect) that is capable to do this?
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: rifle to rifle - 09/21/19 11:54 PM

All scopes are capable of swapping between rifles. But you still have to re-zero the scope each time you do it. I have done it on several rifles. The point of impact shift is usually repeatable with a good scope mount.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: rifle to rifle - 09/22/19 12:02 AM

I would do this with any scope that tracks well. The most important part to me would be good rings and a standard rail on all rifles involved. I would not want to remove the scope from the rings every time.
Posted By: P_102

Re: rifle to rifle - 09/22/19 12:41 AM

It’s not so much a question of caliber as it is a question of mounts. I have Identical 20 MOA Picatinny rails on 3 rifles. This allows me to move scopes around and (this is key) still be on paper. There will always be some zeroing needed.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: rifle to rifle - 09/22/19 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by colt45
I see that some shooters move scope from rifle to rifle. what caliber ( meaning brand, model ect) that is capable to do this?

Anything to anything.

Few days ago I moved a scope from .223 A.I. to 28 Nosler. Checked a bore sight, in the end it was come down .3 Mil, left 1.8 Mil, zero done. The pic rail to the barrel relationship is more of a factor than cartridge and bullet.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: rifle to rifle - 09/22/19 03:51 PM

I enjoy playing with scopes just as much as rifles so I tend to keep a few extras around. On my Switch barrel rifles I am in the process of seeing how repeatable switching both barrel and scope will be. So each barrel will have a scope / ring combo sighted for that load and barrel.
I have two barrel/ scope / load combos done with one more to dial in. Then just swap them around and see how close they are to zero once installed again.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: rifle to rifle - 09/22/19 04:49 PM

how about detachable ring mounts on a picatinny rail? or would that raise the scope to high?
Posted By: DStroud

Re: rifle to rifle - 09/22/19 06:59 PM

how about detachable ring mounts on a picatinny rail? or would that raise the scope to high?

That’s the way I would think most folks would go. I would never take the scope from the rings each time.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: rifle to rifle - 09/22/19 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by DStroud

That’s the way I would think most folks would go. I would never take the scope from the rings each time.

Ring type with the cross bolt, and a hex nut. Need a 1/2" socket, boxed in wrench, I've even used a Crescent wrench to swap scopes. Once a scope goes in a pair of rings, it lives in those rings the rest of its' life. Scope and rings move as one unit from pic rail to pic rail.

Badger Ordnance
Talley Tactical
(Think) Nighforce as well.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum