Texas Hunting Forum

NightForce SHV vs Vortex Viper PST Gen 1

Posted By: TXBoss

NightForce SHV vs Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 - 08/28/19 03:48 PM

Trying to get some feedback / comparison between NightForce and Vortex that I already have.

Needing to thin some scopes down after moving them around on rifles and just wanted to get some feedback from those who may have more time behind the glass than I do.

Have a NF SHV 4-14 x 40 with the FFP and illuminated MRAD reticle that I want to move to a heavy barrel AR. That AR currently has a Vortex 6-24 Viper PST with the FFP and illuminated MRAD reticle.

Just wondering if there is any reason to keep the Vortex in favor of the SHV.

If I decide to sell the Vortex, I'll pick up a smaller NF SHV (or something comparable) for my 308 deer rifle (under 250 yds). Cost point may be the same. Or would look at something else that Doug has at Cameraland.

So... SHV 4-14 compared to Vortex PST 6-24... overall glass, tracking and reliability over the years?

Re: NightForce SHV vs Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 - 08/28/19 03:55 PM

Thanks Doug... I this is one we spoke about before that I had in my notes.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: NightForce SHV vs Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 - 08/28/19 03:58 PM

Why not leave the SHV on the .308 and call it good?

Re: NightForce SHV vs Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 - 08/28/19 04:08 PM

I could... but it's a lot of scope for a deer blind rifle. Have been looking at the 3-10 SHV which is a much more balanced setup... so that leaves me with one too many (Vortex or 4-14 SHV). I'm pretty sure the Vortex will lose out to the Nightforce… but wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything.
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: NightForce SHV vs Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 - 08/28/19 04:26 PM

If it was a gen 2 vortex, i'd say hang on to it, but with it being a gen1 I'd let er go. I have a gen1 and a gen2 PST and my gen2 has much better glass in my opinion. Tracking sees to be about the same on both of mine and havent had any issues with them.

I was out shooting with a buddy this spring who has the same SHV you do and i compared it next to my gen2 PST. His glass had a slight edge over my gen 2 pst.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: NightForce SHV vs Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 - 08/28/19 04:26 PM

I don't see switching from a 4-14 to a 3-10 going from too much scope to something better. You gain 1 lower x on the bottom and loose 3 on top. Ive shot a very few animals on 3x in my hunting career. Sure I could have used it a lot more but with a variable I choose more every time.

Re: NightForce SHV vs Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 - 08/28/19 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
I don't see switching from a 4-14 to a 3-10 going from too much scope to something better. You gain 1 lower x on the bottom and loose 3 on top. Ive shot a very few animals on 3x in my hunting career. Sure I could have used it a lot more but with a variable I choose more every time.

It's more about the overall compactness of the 3-10 vs the 4-14. 50mm objective vs 42mm and overall length. It's a 22" barrel browning speed so I'm trying to keep weight and bulkiness down somewhat.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: NightForce SHV vs Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 - 08/28/19 08:57 PM

Glass quality alone takes the Vortex out of the conversation. Add in overall quality and reported failures I put the Gen 1 PST just above blister pack scopes. I know that sounds snobbish but you’re comparing it to a NF.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: NightForce SHV vs Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 - 08/28/19 09:17 PM

The NF whips any Vortex ever made where it counts.....durability, tracking, repeatability, holding zero, non shifting POI, etc. Glass is excellent as well.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: NightForce SHV vs Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 - 08/28/19 09:29 PM

PST 1 is not good

Re: NightForce SHV vs Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 - 08/28/19 10:12 PM

Thx for replies... confirms what I was already thinking. Vortex PST will be replaced by SHV.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: NightForce SHV vs Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 - 08/29/19 01:04 AM

Vortex does not belong in the same sentence as Nightforce.

SHV all the way!

Re: NightForce SHV vs Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 - 08/29/19 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jgraider
The NF whips any Vortex ever made where it counts.....durability, tracking, repeatability, holding zero, non shifting POI, etc. Glass is excellent as well.

^^That's right
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: NightForce SHV vs Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 - 08/29/19 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG

SHV all the way!

Right. How did this comparison even come about?

Re: NightForce SHV vs Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 - 08/29/19 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Sneaky

SHV all the way!

Right. How did this comparison even come about?

Read my first post... and like I said just a few threads above.. I had a good idea of the outcome that the SHV was a leap above the Vortex PST. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I've had several Viper PST that have given me no issues and the SHV is new to me.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: NightForce SHV vs Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 - 08/29/19 04:42 AM

I think you'll be much happier with the Vortex. PM me and I'll take that nightforce off your hands for you.
Posted By: Crews

Re: NightForce SHV vs Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 - 08/29/19 03:24 PM

Glad you came to the conclusion you did. SHV kicks Vortex straight in the balls any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: NightForce SHV vs Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 - 08/29/19 11:04 PM

The Gen 1 PST isn't in the same class as an SHV. The Nightforce is superior in pretty much every category. I can say that with confidence because I've owned multiples of both. I will argue about any Nightforce beating any Vortex though. If I had to pick one scope between my Gen 2 Razor and my NX8, I'm keeping the Vortex. I love both, but the Razor is a better scope for my applications.
Posted By: HoldPoint

Re: NightForce SHV vs Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 - 08/29/19 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
The Gen 1 PST isn't in the same class as an SHV. The Nightforce is superior in pretty much every category. I can say that with confidence because I've owned multiples of both. I will argue about any Nightforce beating any Vortex though. If I had to pick one scope between my Gen 2 Razor and my NX8, I'm keeping the Vortex. I love both, but the Razor is a better scope for my applications.

In what way?

Re: NightForce SHV vs Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 - 08/29/19 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by HoldPoint

In what way?

The Razor is easier to get behind. Much more forgiving eye box. I can set the parallax on my Razor for 300 yards on full power (27x) and see targets well enough to engage from 100 to 800 yards. With the NX8 at full power (32x), I can set the parallax for 300 yards and the 100-yard, and 400-yard targets are an unrecognizable, blurry blob. The Nightforce is very sensitive and unforgiving compared to the Razor. It would be a disadvantage in a rifle match.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: NightForce SHV vs Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 - 08/30/19 01:26 AM

Have heard the eye box is tight on nx8. Kinda of has to be due to 8x erector

Vortex pst was a great scope when it came out 15ish years ago. The pst2 is a much better upgrade

That being said shv vs pst gen 1 is no contest. Against pst gen 2...debatable imo

My 4-16 was having some issues after years of use. So I sent it back and got a new gen2 3-15

Re: NightForce SHV vs Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 - 08/30/19 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by HoldPoint

In what way?

The Razor is easier to get behind. Much more forgiving eye box. I can set the parallax on my Razor for 300 yards on full power (27x) and see targets well enough to engage from 100 to 800 yards. With the NX8 at full power (32x), I can set the parallax for 300 yards and the 100-yard, and 400-yard targets are an unrecognizable, blurry blob. The Nightforce is very sensitive and unforgiving compared to the Razor. It would be a disadvantage in a rifle match.

So turn down the magnification on the NF to 27X and try again. You are not comparing apples to apples. 32X against 27X. My ATACR magnification at 25X, focus looks good from 300 to 800 yards, yet folks don't really talk much about NF warranty, because they didn't break down in the first place.

Re: NightForce SHV vs Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 - 08/30/19 04:10 AM

Don't act like I'm stupid or biased. I pay for all of my gear out of my own pocket. I've compared both scopes on every magnification setting. The Razor is better, period. The Razor is more comparable to your ATACR than my NX8, and I'd probably still have the Razor. I didn't say jack chit about warranties. Vortex sells scopes from $89 to $2500. They'll also warranty a scope if you smash it with a hammer or run over it with your Ram. Of course they'll have more claims than Nightforce, that sells high-end scopes with a limited warranty. We'll see what we see once we have our super duper epic scope test.

Re: NightForce SHV vs Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 - 08/30/19 08:24 PM

^^Drunk post

Re: NightForce SHV vs Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 - 08/30/19 08:50 PM

^^Drunk post

Good call.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: NightForce SHV vs Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 - 08/31/19 02:27 PM

ONE negative on the SHV.......

if you are used to the NXS, ATACR, NX-8...the zero set feature on the SHV is NOT as crisp and positive as the higher end NF's.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: NightForce SHV vs Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 - 08/31/19 07:08 PM

^^Drunk post

Good call.

roflmao
Posted By: MDMORROW

Re: NightForce SHV vs Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 - 09/05/19 03:29 PM

NF no doubt
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum