Texas Hunting Forum

Question about First Focal Plane

Posted By: AZ_Hunter_2000

Question about First Focal Plane - 07/03/19 03:37 AM

I have a question about first focal plane scopes.

Background
Last minute issue popped up that required me to make arrangements to get a new scope with very little time.

Short list: Leupold VX6-HD (3-18) and Nightforce NX8 (2.5-20).

First choice: NX8. Second choice: VX6HD. Due to severe time constraints no other scopes were considered (better or worse).

Sunday morning I went to a local retailer. I looked at the VX6HD and it met all of the requirements for its intended purpose. The NX8 would meet and/or exceed the same requirements (minus the weight penalty but offers higher reliability). The deciding factor is it is a FFP scope which I have zero experience with. Since the store did not have a NX8 in stock, I looked through a FFP SHV (nice scope). There were no issues while looking at a target (store wall) that provided a strong contrast. I then looked at a screen on a tent flap less than 100 feet away. The reticle disappeared completely. There were no issues seeing the reticle if I zoomed (which is not always feasible).

One thought that came to mind was "if I could not see the reticle to make an accurate shot at a stationary tent flap at 33 yards, how would I be able to make a shot at a black bear at that same distance"?

Question
What is the "secret" to using a FFP scope when your target is dark? Dark object in low light?

Current Status
I've made arrangements to get the VX6HD (3-18x50). If I can figure out to make a FFP scope work with my hunting conditions, then I would have no issue moving the VX6HD to another rifle and picking up the NX8 (2.5-20x50) for this particular rifle.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Question about First Focal Plane - 07/03/19 03:47 AM

If you were at low magnification you obviously would not see chit with a FFP. Spin the mag up and the reticle grows as you go up and what ever ruler you pick is true.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Question about First Focal Plane - 07/03/19 04:10 AM

Illuminated reticle helps some folks...other is as bee mentioned, increase magnification.
Posted By: dee

Re: Question about First Focal Plane - 07/03/19 10:30 AM

Depends on the particular reticle imo. Some have outer heavy bars before your stadia lines start similar to a plex type reticle. These can make it pretty east to find center when zoomed out. Attached is a pic for reference through one of my favorite hunting scopes.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Question about First Focal Plane - 07/03/19 10:48 AM

As Judd said, illumination is typically the answer.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Question about First Focal Plane - 07/03/19 01:32 PM

Yall got this covered. wink
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Question about First Focal Plane - 07/03/19 06:31 PM

Does Leupold offer that scope with the illuminated firedot? If so, I’d recommend it.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Question about First Focal Plane - 07/04/19 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by 603Country
Does Leupold offer that scope with the illuminated firedot? If so, I’d recommend it.

Yes they do and I love it. It is of course a duplex reticle so no reticle ranging possible. Excellent hunting scope that has proven accurate so far dialing as well.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Question about First Focal Plane - 07/04/19 02:01 PM

It’s definitely not as easy as just turning on illumination. Now if you are in close quarters and aiming at a black bear in good light yep I agree illuminated reticle works great.

Now try that when it’s so dark you can barely make the outline of the animals then the illumination on the NF washes out the animal to the point you have difficulty making the shot. I tried this last Friday evening while waiting watching for hogs in a hay meadow. There were lots of deer out and I was playing with a NF ATACR and was impressed with how much light and how well I could see deer at 9:30 pm. I could still see my reticle with power at 15x but once I turned on illumination no matter how dim I had a hard time even finding the deer much less make a accurate shot.

Bushnell FFP scopes have a reticle with a 2Mil thicker circle around the crosshairs that solve this very well from what I have seen..... there may be others as well
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Question about First Focal Plane - 07/05/19 05:29 PM

Like dstroud, I had a problem with an illuminated crosshair being too bright. Both of my Vortex scopes were like that, even at the lowest level of illumination. I was surprised to hear that NF had the same problem. My solution to the problem was to get a Leupold scope with the firedot. I think it’s just what I needed, but it’ll take more hunting in dim light to prove that out. I do know that I can dim that little red dot till you have to look hard to see it.

The pigs are gonna suffer.
Posted By: dee

Re: Question about First Focal Plane - 07/05/19 07:31 PM

Neither my schmidt or premier suffered from washout. The schmidt has to be ran on high to really even be useful without a clip on nv setup.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Question about First Focal Plane - 07/09/19 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by 603Country
Like dstroud, I had a problem with an illuminated crosshair being too bright. Both of my Vortex scopes were like that, even at the lowest level of illumination. I was surprised to hear that NF had the same problem. My solution to the problem was to get a Leupold scope with the firedot. I think it’s just what I needed, but it’ll take more hunting in dim light to prove that out. I do know that I can dim that little red dot till you have to look hard to see it.

The pigs are gonna suffer.

Agreed.

Often times the illumination of an entire reticle/crosshair can simply be too much. Even if it can be adjusted fairly low...it 'competes' with the eye for the target itself.

I find that a single center dot is MUCH better. I like one with enough levels to be both daytime bright and acceptable in complete darkness.

You might wonder why 'daytime' bright. Well....look at any dark colored object (black hog) standing in a shadow with bright sunlight behind it and you'll have your answer. Even with a heavy reticle (German #4) it will disappear when you get black on black.

Attached picture reticle_2.jpg
Attached picture reticle_3.jpg
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Question about First Focal Plane - 07/10/19 03:21 AM

Nice choice on the Leupold. I have two of those VX-6HD scopes with illuminated TMOA reticle...love them. Better glass and brighter than the Swaro scope I had.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum