Texas Hunting Forum

Nikon Monarch Scopes

Posted By: papa45

Nikon Monarch Scopes - 06/19/19 02:13 AM

I have three older Monarch scopes and I love them. I want to buy another one in the near future. The current lineup includes a Monarch 3, 5 and 7 and I want to know the difference between them. I believe the 3 is a one-inch tube with a 4x zoom, the 5 is a one-inch tube with a 5x zoom, the 7 is a 30 mm tube with a 4x zoom and they all have the same glass and coatings. I have been all over the internet, talked to one major retailer, and called Nikon technical support. They just read me the marketing gobbled-gook and no one has given me a satisfactory answer. The common theme is that if it's more expensive it must be better. The tech support guy said he didn't think the 3 was still being made and the difference between the 5 and 7 was that the 7 has more "knobs" on it than the 5. He didn't even understand the difference between magnification power and zoom. Wow!

I am more interested in glass quality and coatings than other bells and whistles. Is all the glass the same UCC 95% transmission they have advertised for the past 15 years or so, or do the 5 and 7 have better glass than the 3? I know there is an ED (extra low dispersion) glass available on some models.

Does anyone here truly know the technical differences between the current models, without just guessing? If so, I would like to hear. Thanks.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum