Texas Hunting Forum

Question about a Weaver scope

Posted By: Maddog

Question about a Weaver scope - 06/14/19 03:08 PM

I found a Weaver V3 1X3-20 and I want to put it on a Marlin 1894 44 mag rifle. These scopes have been discontinued by Weaver a few years ago. I'm concerned about 20 diameter size. Are these good scopes and will they take the recoil of the 44 mag? Thanks
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Question about a Weaver scope - 06/14/19 03:16 PM

The 20 should be the objective lens with standard 1” rings. I have no idea about durability. Weaver itself has been said to be closing the doors for good. I have no facts to back that up.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Question about a Weaver scope - 06/14/19 03:37 PM

My Marlin 44 mag lever gun wears a Weaver 1-3x20 scope. It has for years. The only reason I put a scope on my lever gun was to hunt pigs a night with a light mounted to the scope tube. It worked great. Now that I'm using thermal scopes on AR's, I think it's time to go back to open sights and shoot that lever gun in a more traditional style. (But I did love the scope on the 44 Mag. I also killed a turkey at 260 yards with it, also!).
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Question about a Weaver scope - 06/14/19 03:42 PM

Here you go! Marlin 44 Mag lever rifle, Weaver 1-3 scope, shooting 240 grain XTP's at 1760 fps. I knew my drop on this round out to 300 yards, and held elevation for the 260 yard shot. I hit at his feet on the first round, and killed him on my second shot. If I miss on my first shot... don't give me second shot!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Maddog

Re: Question about a Weaver scope - 06/14/19 04:37 PM

That's some good info there. I appreciate y'all responding to my question. I guess I better buy the Weaver and get it mounted and sighted in. I haven't heard about Weaver closing down. Maybe they'll figure it out and keep going. Thanks again
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum