Texas Hunting Forum

Is this the scope I want?

Posted By: Cast

Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 04:38 PM

Primarily for my 10/22T stainless LR build, but also move to other rifles eventually. The 4x20 was what I looked for but found this 5x25 instead.

Amazon link

Looks like the EGR 20 MOA pic rail will be under it. What rings should I use? The rings move with the scope so think tough precision movable rings.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 05:28 PM

I thought there was a bunch of long range experts around here.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Cast
I thought there was a bunch of long range experts around here.

I had that same scope, I think it would work great on the 22 and I’ve shot out to 800 with it no problem.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 05:37 PM

No experience with the scope but don’t go cheap on the rings if you’re going to be moving it around from rifle to rifle. I like TPS rings. They’re ugly and heavy like me and not the least bit tactical. They are great rings though.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 06:01 PM

How about Barrett mounts?

Amazon link

They oughta be good!
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 06:03 PM

I guess my word isn't good enough.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 06:07 PM

I prefer Seekins rings. They do not have any large bolt heads protruding from the rings.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by FiremanJG
I guess my word isn't good enough.

Of course it is! PM sent.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 06:23 PM

Good scope, good turrets, good reticle, reliable tracking. Not the absolute best glass in the price range, but you have to sacrifice something at that price point.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 07:33 PM

Ok, with a whole lot of patience and guidance from Jason, I have ended up with this in my cart. Comments? Do I need anything else?

[Linked Image]

I am guessing on ring height, any body with experience mounting a 50mm objective on a 10/22 with an EGR 20 MOA please speak up.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 07:42 PM

Ultra high rings? You're gonna strain your neck. Also, Amazon? Should be cheaper elsewhere, call Doug or Skylar.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 07:45 PM

I have not mounted one on a 10/22, but mounted this exact same scope on this exact same rail with the Seekins 1.00 height rings on my 6.5CM with heavy barrel. Fits perfectly with a couple of mm under the objective bell.

Seekins has 4 different sizes 0.92, 1.00, 1.26, and 1.45 in that order I'd say low, medium, high, and ultra high. I think the rings you have in your cart will be way too high.

Looks like Badger Ordnance makes a 1.00 size and its just labeled as "Standard"

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
Ultra high rings? You're gonna strain your neck. Also, Amazon? Should be cheaper elsewhere, call Doug or Skylar.

Yes, look else where for a better price. Plus that item title looks like a chinese bot wrote it. Should be Burris XTR II 34MM 5-25x50, not sure what a XTR Iix 40mm is.

Oh and just to save you guys some time, don't think Skylar works for SWFA anymore.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 07:52 PM

Ok I found some used ones -

[Linked Image]

This is more or less a shopping list. I’ll get quotes once it is finalized.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 08:00 PM

Gotcha on the shopping list, I do the same thing. Everything looks good.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 08:00 PM

Looks good!

Now you'll just need a 20 MOA oic rail for your centerfire rifles and the scope can move around as needed.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 08:01 PM

SWFA has a 4-20 for $929 on the sample list, I bet they'd take a lot less.

https://www.samplelist.com/burris-4-20x50-xtr-ii-riflescope-demo-a.html

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 08:08 PM

If you don't mind used, I think Wade (BigPig) was thinking about selling the 5-25x I sold him. I was first owner and it was in perfect condition when I sold it to him. Think he has only had it out of the house 3-4 times since.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 08:11 PM

Talk to me BP. Are you selling?

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 08:13 PM

Here is SWFA cart with two like items -

[Linked Image]

Interesting indeed.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 08:19 PM

Talk to me BP. Are you selling?

I texted him, I'm waiting on him to get back with me. Think he worked last night so he is sleeping today.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 08:46 PM

Here is SWFA cart with two like items -

[Linked Image]

Interesting indeed.

SWFA has some HD scopes on sale on sample. Much better than that Burris

Pass on those Barret Rings. I would go Seekins. Lows or mediums. I believe the SWFA scope is 30 mm

Call Skylar

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Brother in-law
This scope is much better than that Burris

Pass on those Barret Rings. I would go Seekins. Lows or mediums. I believe the SWFA scope is 30 mm

Call Skylar

Saw your edit..

I agree the SWFA 5-20HD Demos for 899 would be what I got, They come with sun shade, flip caps, and bubble level. Hell of a deal. I personally like the reticle in the Burris better than the SWFA, but the other pros out weigh the reticle.

Again, don't think Skylar works there anymore.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 08:52 PM

Those are Badger rings. Not the previously mentioned Barrett.

They are good enough for Jason so they are good enjoy for me.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by KRoyal

Call Skylar

Saw your edit..

I agree the SWFA 5-20HD Demos for 899 would be what I got, They come with sun shade, flip caps, and bubble level. Hell of a deal. I personally like the reticle in the Burris better than the SWFA, but the other pros out weigh the reticle.

He did last week...

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 09:04 PM

The SWFA scope can not be warranted like the Burris. They offer a transferable no hassle lifetime warranty. How long has SWFA been around? I want to pass this rifle to my son when I die.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 09:04 PM

https://www.americanprecisionarms.com/collections/scope-rings?redirect_mongo_id=5cffbccefa07da0b495c4aa9&utm_source=Springbot&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Father%27s%2520Day%2520Sale(2)

Code - FATHER20 for 20% off

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 09:08 PM

https://www.americanprecisionarms.com/collections/scope-rings?redirect_mongo_id=5cffbccefa07da0b495c4aa9&utm_source=Springbot&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Father%27s%2520Day%2520Sale(2)

Code - FATHER20 for 20% off

Links are easy

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 09:08 PM

Wade was trying to trade in a scope on a new scope for his 22 after the match on Saturday and then yesterday texted and said apparently Skylar doesn't work for SWFA anymore. I said Really? he never text me back he is terrible at texting LOL.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 09:49 PM

Here is what I am starting with -

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It is already very MOA at fifty. Now it goes to long range school. That nice Leupold is for sale BTW.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 09:54 PM

Sharp! Can't wait to see how it shoots 100-200 with the upgrades, Cast!
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba

Call Skylar

Saw your edit..

He did last week...

Nope, he left in May.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 09:59 PM

I have not mounted one on a 10/22, but mounted this exact same scope on this exact same rail with the Seekins 1.00 height rings on my 6.5CM with heavy barrel. Fits perfectly with a couple of mm under the objective bell.

Seekins has 4 different sizes 0.92, 1.00, 1.26, and 1.45 in that order I'd say low, medium, high, and ultra high. I think the rings you have in your cart will be way too high.

Looks like Badger Ordnance makes a 1.00 size and its just labeled as "Standard"

Yes I have Kyle’s old scope, no I’m not wanting to sell it right now. I bought the same Selina rings that Kyle used and a EGW 20MOA BASE, works perfect on the 10/22. Buy with confidence

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 10:06 PM

SWFA has some HD scopes on sale on sample. Much better than that Burris

How so?

And for real precise work, the SCR-Mil is in fact a better reticle. .2 Mil hash as opposed to .5 Mil in the SS.

I recommended the SS and the Burris to Cast, either one would be a good buy. My SS is 7 years old and has never broke down. I'll never sell it. But, one day I will be buying a Burris 3-15X to put on my LR-308 same as I did when I had a Burris on loan from Corporate for a year. It didn't let me down one time.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by BigPig
Originally Posted by unclebubba

Call Skylar

Saw your edit..

He did last week...

Nope, he left in May.

Oh. Maybe I placed my order two weeks ago....

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 10:16 PM

The SWFA scope can not be warranted like the Burris. They offer a transferable no hassle lifetime warranty. How long has SWFA been around? I want to pass this rifle to my son when I die.

SWFA has a 100% no fault lifetime no paper trail required warranty that they are well know for. They’re also known for not needing their warranty. Testing by a DOD employee after hundreds of thousands of rounds through their scopes shows they are only equaled by night force and surpassed by no one for reliability and accurate tracking. The HD versions also have very nice glass. I’m speaking of the 10xHD and 5-20HD. The 3-9HD is an excellent scope as well but the glass is not quiet as good as the other two.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by wp75169

SWFA has a 100% no fault lifetime no paper trail required warranty that they are well know for. They’re also known for not needing their warranty. Testing by a DOD employee after hundreds of thousands of rounds through their scopes shows they are only equaled by night force and surpassed by no one for reliability and accurate tracking. The HD versions also have very nice glass. I’m speaking of the 10xHD and 5-20HD. The 3-9HD is an excellent scope as well but the glass is not quiet as good as the other two.

Hmmm. Give me a link please.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 10:21 PM

https://www.swfa.com/fathersday2019

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 10:30 PM

The Burris is a 34mm scope. The SS is a 30.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 10:39 PM

Yes, larger tubes are for more elevation. I haven’t looked but does one of those scope have more available travel than the other? I do know the SS will get you way way (<scientific numbers) out there.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 10:43 PM

Yes, larger tubes are for more elevation. I haven’t looked but does one of those scope have more available travel than the other? I do know the SS will get you way way (<scientific numbers) out there.

^^Yes

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 10:46 PM

Ok I did my half of the homework, the SS has 30 mils of elevation. With a 20 moa rail that’s “way way” out there.

For reference my 7-08 is 10.1 mils of elevation for 1000 yards. That confirmed data.

If the Burris doesn’t have more elevation I’d say the 34mm tube is for fashion points.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 10:50 PM

Drunk post warning light flashing. I will respond in morning.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/11/19 10:59 PM

Drunk post warning light flashing. I will respond in morning.

Enjoy!

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/12/19 02:34 AM

https://forum.snipershide.com/threads/wts-burris-xtr-ii-4-20x50-scr-mil.6946794/

or the SWFA HD for $899 is an even better deal. Either of these will be just fine for anything 22LR related.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/12/19 04:31 AM

not a bad scope but weighs around 10lbs

you can do better

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/12/19 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw

you can do better

Says D.A.L. at the Hunters Challenge

And did you hit more than you missed at the rimfire, or the other way around?

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/12/19 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by patriot07
https://forum.snipershide.com/threads/wts-burris-xtr-ii-4-20x50-scr-mil.6946794/

or the SWFA HD for $899 is an even better deal. Either of these will be just fine for anything 22LR related.

I bet you can have the Demo from SWFA for around $800, and it's illuminated. Wonder if that guy would take 700 for his.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/12/19 03:02 PM

Ok I did my half of the homework, the SS has 30 mils of elevation. With a 20 moa rail that’s “way way” out there.

For reference my 7-08 is 10.1 mils of elevation for 1000 yards. That confirmed data.

If the Burris doesn’t have more elevation I’d say the 34mm tube is for fashion points.

Hard to find but here it is -

Features & details
Matte black 5-25x50mm Riflescope; length: 16.31 in; weight: 32.10 oz
Reticles: G2B Mil-Dot; Objective Lens Diameter: 58mm; Illumination Setting: 11 Brightness Setting
Focal plane: fop; main tube size: 34mm; click value: 1/10 mil; 100-click knob
Field of View: 21 low-4.3 high (ftat100yds); Eye Relief: 3.5-4.25 in; Exit Pupil: 10 low-2.0 high(mm)
Elevation Adjustment total capability: 90 MOA; windage Adjustment: 55 MOA; Battery: CR2032

Elevation - 90 MOA
Windage - 55 MOA

That is a big difference! I won’t be using the mil dot, but that will not change the adjustment range.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/12/19 03:05 PM

you can do better

32.1 ounces

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/12/19 03:15 PM

Hard to find but here it is -

Features & details
Matte black 5-25x50mm Riflescope; length: 16.31 in; weight: 32.10 oz
Reticles: G2B Mil-Dot; Objective Lens Diameter: 58mm; Illumination Setting: 11 Brightness Setting
Focal plane: fop; main tube size: 34mm; click value: 1/10 mil; 100-click knob
Field of View: 21 low-4.3 high (ftat100yds); Eye Relief: 3.5-4.25 in; Exit Pupil: 10 low-2.0 high(mm)
Elevation Adjustment total capability: 90 MOA; windage Adjustment: 55 MOA; Battery: CR2032

Elevation - 90 MOA
Windage - 55 MOA

That is a big difference! I won’t be using the mil dot, but that will not change the adjustment range.

MOA and MIL are two different measurements. 90 MOA is 26.67 MILS. So looks like the SFWA will have 4 more MILS or 13.50 MOA of elevation than the Burris has.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/12/19 03:21 PM

SWFA is made in Japan

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/12/19 03:34 PM

Thanks for converting that for me. Mil is still a little Greek to me. My gut is telling me to buy the Burris.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/12/19 03:48 PM

You probably want to look at sportoptics.com

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/12/19 03:59 PM

Yes, that is a really good price on this scope and you get a free set of Burris rings. Use them or sell them.

https://www.sportoptics.com/burris-xtr-ii-5-25x-50-201054.aspx

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/12/19 04:02 PM

You will use the Mil reticle. That's how you hold for wind. And the .22lr is affected by every 1 mph of wind.

When time is short, you can use the reticle to hold over for elevation as well. I did that on Kyles varmint stage. 25 yards, 35 yards, 50 yards, 75 yards, 100 yards. You can hold on your zero until you get past 50 yards, then you have to hold elevation, or your bullet will miss low. And the rifle was in such a position, dialing elevation would have been a pain in the rear, and ate up the clock.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/12/19 04:08 PM

So it has a mil dot reticle and an moa turret? That would turn me off even if it was a better scope.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/12/19 04:19 PM

So it has a mil dot reticle and an moa turret? That would turn me off even if it was a better scope.

No, it has a Mil reticle and Mil turret. Just don't think Cast is familiar with all the terms just yet.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/12/19 04:24 PM

No that was the wrong scope/reticle. Here is the proper model info -

Features & details
N/A
Made in USA
Field of view: 21 low-4.3High feet at 100 yards
Tube diameter: 34mm
Click value: 1/10 mil
Product information SCR Mil, Mil based SCR, Mt Black
Product Dimensions 20 x 5 x 4 inches
Item Weight 3.5 pounds
Shipping Weight 3.5 pounds
Department unisex-adult
Manufacturer Burris
ASIN B00U1AV1W0
Manufacturer reference 201051
Batteries 1 Lithium Metal batteries required. (included)
Customer Reviews 4.5 out of 5 stars 19Reviews
Best Sellers Rank 336928
Date first listed on Amazon January 10, 2015

Weight is 3.5 pounds for this model.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/12/19 04:31 PM

Burris knows better than that. As does most manufacturers these days.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/12/19 04:34 PM

Yes, that is a really good price on this scope and you get a free set of Burris rings. Use them or sell them.

That does look like a deal. The Burris XTR Sig rings are serious rings. They are low but if you call to order they will swap them for me.

What height y’all reckon I will need?

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/12/19 04:36 PM

Most manufacturers "medium".

It is a damn shame there is no industry standard. Every manufacturer has a different measurement for low, medium, high, extra high.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/12/19 04:40 PM

It is a damn shame there is no industry standard. Every manufacturer has a different measurement for low, medium, high, extra high.

Here is the data on the rings.

Link

Will you sign off on these rings?

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/12/19 04:41 PM

That does look like a deal. The Burris XTR Sig rings are serious rings. They are low but if you call to order they will swap them for me.

What height y’all reckon I will need?

Yes call and change them to medium.

Every manufacturer has a different measurement for low, medium, high, extra high.

Pain in the [censored]!

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/12/19 04:41 PM

This scope and rings are new too. Not demos. Does not really matter but there it is.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/12/19 04:46 PM

No, it has a Mil reticle and Mil turret. Just don't think Cast is familiar with all the terms just yet.

Absolutely! But this is a real learning experience. I finally actually understand the first focal plane difference and what that does for me.

This will be my first non Leupold scope.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/12/19 04:47 PM

Here is the data on the rings.

Link

Will you sign off on these rings?

I give them a B+

You have to have the right Torx drive to get them on and off. With Talley Tactical or Badger you need a 1/2" socket or wrench. Or hell, I've used a Crescent wrench many times.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/12/19 04:49 PM

They are a better ring than Talley or Badger. I keep one of those Torx wrenches if my truck if you ever need one wink

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/12/19 04:57 PM

They have Talley Tactical but not Badger. They will not let me get credit towards Talley.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/12/19 05:07 PM

So close, so close. Do not like the backorder.

[Linked Image]

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/12/19 05:13 PM

Those free rings will do it for free and .22, they aren’t bad like some rings.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/12/19 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Judd
They are a better ring than Talley or Badger. I keep one of those Torx wrenches if my truck if you ever need one wink

What do you know?

Bring me Vortex scopes, bullets the wrong color, and a rifle that's wobbling. Run a lap.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/12/19 05:23 PM

I could just grab those Badger demos at SWFA.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/12/19 05:24 PM

What do you know?

Bring me Vortex scopes, bullets the wrong color, and a rifle that's wobbling. Run a lap.

Ain't a thing wrong with Vortex scopes....yes, they make bullets that don't have gay [censored] tips on them and that wobbling don't hurt a thing grin I might've embellished that last part.

The rings require no lapping, won't mark up your scope and should you need more elevation you can do it with the rings. They are a better ring. wink

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/12/19 05:28 PM

What do you know?

Ain't a thing wrong with Vortex scopes....yes, they make bullets that don't have gay [censored] tips on them and that wobbling don't hurt a thing grin I might've embellished that last part.

The rings require no lapping, won't mark up your scope and should you need more elevation you can do it with the rings. They are a better ring. wink

I use sig rings on all my rifles. They are good. But because I will move this scope around. The torx screw heads would eventually get ragged. I like the 1/2” hex much better in this application.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/12/19 05:42 PM

And those Top end vortex rings are probably seekins

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/12/19 06:56 PM

Ok, I am pulling the trigger on the scope and the free rings. But swapped out to medium height rings.

I will grab the demo Badger rings from SWFA.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/12/19 07:35 PM

I pulled the trigger!

[Linked Image]

I also grabbed the demo-b Badger rings for $129.42 shipped from SWFA. Free shipping no tax. Skylar’s ghost still lives there.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/12/19 07:45 PM

I pulled the trigger!

[img] Skylar’s ghost still lives there.

Haha, congrats on the scope.
Posted By: Teal28

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/12/19 07:46 PM

Should have waited a little bit longer. The XRT3 is out in a few months. From what I have read its a big improvement. Though it is almost double the cost.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...-first-focal-plane-scr-moa-reticle-matte

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/13/19 01:38 AM

The XTR3 is not in remotely the same price range. Personally, it's going to have to leave the XTR2 in the dust and then some to be worth anything close to what they're asking. The Razor Gen 2 can be had for $1500 used, so asking more than that for an XTR just seems silly.
Posted By: cblackall

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/13/19 03:44 AM

Late to the party, but you will be pleased with the Burris. I’ve spent a lot of time behind the XTR II’s and they have performed flawlessly. I have the 5-25 SCR, and the 3-15 G2B both in mil. I’ve also spent time on the 4-20. Prepare yourself for the size and weight, especially on that 10/22. They are built like tanks. The glass isn’t the clearest, but has never been a hindrance, and I don’t expect it to be on par with NightForce for the price. If you’re not familiar with FFP scopes, spend the time getting your diopter dialed in precisely. They’re not as forgiving in that department as a SFP, and you’ll be wondering why you’re seeing double down range. Tracking is my biggest concern in a long range scope, and the XTR’s have never let me down. The zero stop is easier to set than anything else I’ve messed with, which is a bonus. For the .22 at extended range, you’ll be glad you went mil and have that 10 mils per revolution. I’m running a 25 MOA rail on my CZ 455, and with an MOA scope I was constantly getting lost in rotation. Off the top of my head, I believe I was at roughly 24 MOA at 200 yds and 42 MOA at 300. That’s with CCI SV out of a 16” bbl suppressed, 50 yd zero. I recently transitioned my rimfires over to mil scopes, and it’s a lot easier to digest. I’m now only dialing 7 mils at 200 yds, and roughly 12.2 mils at 300.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/13/19 02:54 PM

My learning curve is pulling up to vertical during this project.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/13/19 03:53 PM

I know a guy that can make all this clear.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/13/19 04:24 PM

Really who? confused2 Have him text Buzz and see if he's over his butthurt. roflmao

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/13/19 04:40 PM

You are the one pulling back on the stick. Thanks by the way.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/13/19 06:27 PM

Ok, scope is behind me now. Time to get started on the rifle.

The hard part is finding a suitable shipping container for barrel and action.

It looks like it has been shot a bit.

[Linked Image]

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/14/19 04:59 PM

I found the right boxes and got the barrel and receiver packed and ready to ship.

Then this happened -

[Linked Image]

Here are the free rings -

[Linked Image]

Here are the Badger rings I will be using -

[Linked Image]

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/17/19 10:22 PM

^^^^ those are NOT the rings I was saying was better. XTR signature rings is what I was talking about those are not Signature rings they are the regular XTR rings.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/17/19 10:43 PM

^^^^ those are NOT the rings I was saying was better. XTR signature rings is what I was talking about those are not Signature rings they are the regular XTR rings.

And he ignored you, because he is following my recommendation. He will be moving this scope between rifles. I am making sure he has a solid set of rings, that also make it easy to move the scope from pic rail to pic rail.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/17/19 11:09 PM

Yeah I use the sig rings for almost everything. I knew they were not sig when I saw them. Did not matter, I was not planing to use them. Sorry about the ignore part, I did not mean to.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/17/19 11:12 PM

Now that I think about it, they were supposed to be sig rings free with the scope. I will call them tomorrow. But I still will not use them on this scope. It gets Badgers.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/18/19 12:42 AM

Glad its not me with this goofy, long post. y'all would be killing me

but its awful boring on here (THF), we need more experts tearing down others decisions

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/18/19 01:01 AM

but its awful boring on here (THF), we need more experts tearing down others decisions

I like Cast’s style. He asks a question takes the advice and goes out and buys it same day. Apples to oranges Buzz.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/18/19 01:02 AM

I like Cast’s style. He asks a question takes the advice and goes out and buys it same day. Apples to oranges Buzz.

roflmao

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/18/19 01:58 AM

While Buzz asks questions, gets solid advice by more than one person, sees something shiny, forgets, asks the same questions again 20 days later, repeat, repeat.

Comes in dead azz last at rifle matches.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/18/19 02:00 PM

While Buzz asks questions, gets solid advice by more than one person, sees something shiny, forgets, asks the same questions again 20 days later, repeat, repeat.

Don't forget then cries and whines on the interweb about being old, fat and last rolleyes

No worries Cast...Jason's reason holds no water above...he's staying in his comfort zone and recommending what he knows works....nothing wrong with that. Those other rings are better if he'd give them a chance I guarantee he'd like them. So much so that I'll go so far as to say if you try them the next set you buy and you don't like them....I'll buy them from you for what you paid. That's how much faith I have that you will like them better. wink

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/18/19 02:33 PM

Hey Judd, I called him. He is sending an RMA and will exchange for the proper signature rings. Thanks for poking me.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/18/19 02:38 PM

The barreled action was delivered to Randy yesterday.

It is beginning.

I love this stuff.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/18/19 03:41 PM

Don't forget then cries and whines on the interweb about being old, fat and last rolleyes

No worries Cast...Jason's reason holds no water above...he's staying in his comfort zone and recommending what he knows works....nothing wrong with that. Those other rings are better if he'd give them a chance I guarantee he'd like them. So much so that I'll go so far as to say if you try them the next set you buy and you don't like them....I'll buy them from you for what you paid. That's how much faith I have that you will like them better. wink

Burris sent me a pair when they loaned me an XTR II scope. Are you recommending the ones with two torx drive screws? If so, it can be much more difficult for most folks to come up with the proper Torx drive to loosen or tighten those screws. I know very well they are quality rings, that stay right where you put them. However, when there are two windage screws I find it proper to tighten them to the same torque value, now you've added the need for a torque wrench. Or, Cast can go with my recommendation of Badger or Talley Tactical, and he needs a 1/2" socket, combo wrench, channel locks, or Crescent wrench to tighten and loosen his one windage nut, per ring. Two fasteners as opposed to four, and no need to torque them. I tighten down Badger rings "farmer tight" and move along.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/18/19 04:09 PM

I want to see the XTR sig rings. I was surprised to see the 1/2” hex nut on the XTR rings. If the XTR sig rings have the same hex nut, that really closes the distance between them. However, that being said, the Badger rings look much more rugged than sig rings do. I don’t think sig rings would survive a hammer blow. I believe the Badger rings would.

Remember guys, IT guy here. I over engineer everything I build. Including this rifle.

Can’t help it. It is what I do.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/18/19 04:09 PM

"farmer tight" been a long time since I heard that..my dad's favorite saying

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/18/19 04:26 PM

I want to see the XTR sig rings. I was surprised to see the 1/2” hex nut on the XTR rings. If the XTR sig rings have the same hex nut, that really closes the distance between them. However, that being said, the Badger rings look much more rugged than sig rings do. I don’t think sig rings would survive a hammer blow. I believe the Badger rings would.

Remember guys, IT guy here. I over engineer everything I build. Including this rifle.

Can’t help it. It is what I do.

Badgers are heavier than everyone else, because they are steel. But I challenge you to find stories of them failing. The Badgers my NF ATACR is sitting in are 7 years old. They've been moved to various rifles hundreds of times, been knocked around shooting matches anf hunting, and there's not a thing wrong with them today. Think of them like a good cast iron skillet. partyon555

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/18/19 06:48 PM

No problem Cast...that wasn't what the receipt told you it was going to be...wonder how many folks not knowing took those cheap rings versus what should've came. Interesting.

rofl Jason...you really gonna hang your hat on the fact that keeping track of a torx bit is the deal breaker? I've seen your truck, your shop, your loading room....come'on man. You can't say I have to torque those but I don't have to torque these others...if you need to torque one you need to torque them both roflmao The fact that is all you have, tells me you agree...thanks smile

I needed a good laugh today.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/18/19 07:20 PM

No problem Cast...that wasn't what the receipt told you it was going to be...wonder how many folks not knowing took those cheap rings versus what should've came. Interesting.

rofl Jason...you really gonna hang your hat on the fact that keeping track of a torx bit is the deal breaker? I've seen your truck, your shop, your loading room....come'on man. You can't say I have to torque those but I don't have to torque these others...if you need to torque one you need to torque them both roflmao The fact that is all you have, tells me you agree...thanks smile

I needed a good laugh today.

Not everyone rolls like I do. cowboy

Torque Badgers to spec, and big recoiling rifles will make them come loose. My inch pound torque wrench won't read up as far as I tighten Badgers. And the Badgers have one fastener in the center. There is no way for the clamp to get out of parallel with the pic rail, like can happen with the two fastener design.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/18/19 08:30 PM

I took the scope and rings (Badger) off as one unit. Bolted them back down. And shot this.

Yeah, I think I'll stick with the equipment I'm running.

[Linked Image]

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/18/19 08:49 PM

Cuz they are the only one that'll do that bang

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/18/19 08:55 PM

No, but all I had to use was a 1/2" socket, on a quarter drive ratchet.

Do you even move scopes around, bro? grin

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/18/19 09:39 PM

Because a torx bit is hard to find and I'm sure your Wheeler torque wrench is probably not in your truck rofl

Not unless I have too...I normally even have a spare scope for buddies to borrow because I'm a good friend like that grin

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/18/19 09:40 PM

And it's 1/8 MOA and a forking Vortex!

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/18/19 09:53 PM

I don't abuse my stuff so Vortex is plenty good...well, when I can find my torx bits rofl You are killing me here roflmao

I have more scopes that are 1/8 MOA than any other.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/18/19 10:01 PM

I agree with the single 1/2” nut design vs two anything for a scope that gets moved often. I always have a 1/4” breakover bar handy with a 1/2” deep set socket in it. In my case it’s for the chainsaw primarily, I use it way more than a man should have to but that’s what you get clearing land by hand. It’s stays in the map pocket of my truck door.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/18/19 10:05 PM

I don't abuse my stuff so Vortex is plenty good...well, when I can find my torx bits rofl You are killing me here roflmao

If Fireman had an 1/8 moa scope he could have hit the center of his X instead of 1/8 moa to the right. peep

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/18/19 10:13 PM

If Fireman had an 1/8 moa scope he could have hit the center of his X instead of 1/8 moa to the right. peep

You're not wrong.

And then I would hate that 1/8 MOA scope running various targets, the length of my range.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/18/19 10:19 PM

You're not wrong.

And then I would hate that 1/8 MOA scope running various targets, the length of my range.

Yeah but it was still funny. Two different scopes for two different games for sure. Neither does well in the others field although both can do either.

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/20/19 07:45 PM

I can not find a scope coat to fit this scope. Hmmm

Re: Is this the scope I want? - 06/20/19 08:24 PM

I can not find a scope coat to fit this scope. Hmmm

One of these won't fit?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1087143736/scopecoat-scope-cover-xp-6-flak-jacket

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum